Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
disneymom2two

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #1 
Just curious - does your studio schedule the recital around local high school graduations?  I met a woman this weekend at my son's college weekend and we passed some time talking about dance competitions and recitals (she started the conversation by commenting on my sweatshirt which has the studio logo on it and dance mom on the sleeve).  She said when she was in high school, her studio planned recital the same day as graduation.  She went to graduation in the morning and then rushed to recital getting dressed in the car while someone did her hair and someone did her makeup.  My son's graduating from high school this year and while he's not my dancer, I am so thankful the studio owner takes all the local graduation dates into account when scheduling.
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #2 
Both of dd's studios had students from too many different schools. The local studio used one school district for vacations, etc for the most part (SO's children went to that district). Recital was generally long before graduation but did sometimes conflict a little with prom. They would have a mandatory rehearsal on Saturday and the performance on Sunday. It seemed there was a little drama over that most years. SO had no sympathy for seniors most of the time, with a few key exceptions. 

Dd's last studio holds several days of performances with a big gala on the Sunday with guest performers. There's a pre-performance cocktail hour and a party afterwards. The dancers come from a much wider region, yet I did not hear of anyone having a conflict that weekend. They would have worked around it as there are multiple casts for each number for the older dancers. 
Ktyyyyyyy

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #3 
Our recitals are always after school is out, so no issue there. The issue is always with those that want to take an early summer vacation. There are also often conflicts with summer intensives.
emmymom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #4 
It would be impossible to work around every dancer's schedule at DD's studio, there are far too many high schools represented.  They do try to work and plan around the numerous prom and commencement dates but sometimes it's just unpreventable that there will be an overlap for some dancers somewhere.
rdsmom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #5 
Yes, but only for the graduating seniors. We also draw from a few different high schools, and SO can't accommodate every one who has a friend/sibling/etc graduating from somewhere!
disneymom2two

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #6 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdsmom
Yes, but only for the graduating seniors. We also draw from a few different high schools, and SO can't accommodate every one who has a friend/sibling/etc graduating from somewhere!

I wouldn't expect her to accommodate friends or even siblings.  I was surprised that the studio the woman I was talking to had gone to planned her recital for her senior team's graduation day (she's from a small local town and according to her, all the senior team went to the same school).  Our studio's elite team pulls from 5 high schools and SO worked around those dates.  This year our recital is later than usual (mid June) and on a Sunday which we don't usually do.  We have 2 shows at our recital and our senior elites are in a lot of numbers; I can't imagine how the recital would look if we were missing those 5 girls.  I'm waiting to hear what is going to happen this summer to the teams.  Losing 5 elites is a big number for us so there's going to be a lot of shifting.  I don't want my daughter to leave the mini team but given that she's the oldest by nearly a year, I think she may get moved to the junior team.
melissa745

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #7 
Our recital is the last weekend in June, so it rarely conflicts with anything.
jwsqrdplus2

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #8 
Around here recitals tend to be the first 2 weeks of May or 2nd-3rd week of June; we use the mid-Jun recital dates.  Graduations fall in the middle usually around Memorial Day.  Early May recitals might conflict with Prom, but generally not graduation.  Like others have said, too manny highs schools feed different studios to work around everything.  Graduation dates are set years in advance by district (usually a district gradates on a single day in a single venue, rotating the times at the venue between the high schools).  I already know my 8th grader's HS graduation date!

Our conflict this year is Prom for at least 2 high schools is the same weekend as one of our comps.  Fortunately this comp will work with us, and generally they put all the teen and Sr stuff on Sun except teen solos Fri night.
Jacaranda

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #9 
In our state (QLD, Australia). Everyone graduates high school on the same day, no mater what school or region you are from. So that does make life easier.

The high school seniors graduate the 2nd last Friday in November, and our recital is never until December so no issues there. 10th and 11th grade and independent school students in lower grades finish the last Friday in November.

Our recital is usually the first weekend in December, but it does clash with a lot of Primary school graduations, as catholic primary school kids finish the first Friday in December and State Primary school kids finish the 2nd Friday in December.
tappinmom

Double Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #10 
I don't remember it ever being an issue.  Our studio pulled kids from 10-15 different schools so no way to accommodate them all.  As well - we use a professional theatre that we have to book a year in advance or we don't get the space.  Next years recital is always booked before this years even happens.
Mom2Girls

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #11 
Our recital is always 3-4 weeks before the school year ends--usually last weekend in May. We are in NY so I think they do this so the high schoolers don't have to worry about dance or a tech week during Regents exams.
highlandmom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #12 
Ours is prior to final exams and such so there is no conflict.  Most around studios hers here  have their recitals around this time of year 
jazzminesun81

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #13 
Ours is always the weekend after the 4th of July so no conflicts with graduation, but some people complain about not being able to take a vacation early summer. Some people just do it anyway and miss class, since for classes (not team rehearsals) you can miss up to 5 classes in each class after January 1st. Even then, the attendance rule is rarely enforced unless the student has missed to the point where there's no possibility of catching up with the choreography. I've only seen that happen once so far.
disneymom2two

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #14 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tappinmom
I don't remember it ever being an issue.  Our studio pulled kids from 10-15 different schools so no way to accommodate them all.  As well - we use a professional theatre that we have to book a year in advance or we don't get the space.  Next years recital is always booked before this years even happens.

Wow!That's a lot of high schools!  We pull from way more than that when you include elementary and middle of course but there are only 5 high schools that we have students who are seniors from.  Our town has 2 public high schools and 1 Christian high school and then there are 2 other towns we have high schoolers from. 
meatball77

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #15 
Prom is generally a large variety of dates, but I've never lived someplace where graduations weren't all stacked on one or two weekends (back to back at the convention centers) generally only taking up a weeks time.  Because of that a studio owner should be able to easily schedule around it.

However, some don't find it important to take things other than the availability date of the best theater when scheduling their shows.  Our two senior dancers won't be in the spring ballet because the director scheduled the performance so late this year, and it was scheduled for that date because of the availability of the fancy auditorium in town. 
Sidhe14

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #16 
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissa745

This is the same at our studio. It is always the last weekend in June and we receive the recital dates months in advance. The only thing it conflicts with, for us, is DS birthday. We usually end up scheduling his birthday party the weekend before.
joriebelle

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #17 
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissa745

Ours also is always at the end of June.  We have a wonderful SO who always tries to work around the kids' other commitments.
disneymom2two

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #18 
Quote:
Originally Posted by joriebelle

Ours also is always at the end of June.  We have a wonderful SO who always tries to work around the kids' other commitments.

The nationals we're going to is at the end of June so we couldn't do recital then.  I'm so glad, though, that SO does take the graduation dates into account.  It's a Sunday this year which some parents weren't thrilled about but others are very happy about because it's easier for their husbands to get Sunday off than Saturday (there are a lot of people at our studio who work at restaurants).  The littlest dancers are allowed to leave at intermission so it won't be a late night for them. 
DanceTumbleCheerMom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #19 
Our recital dates are based more on the availability of the Theater at the local college where the recital is held   This year, its the Saturday of Memorial Weekend.   School isnt out yet, and a lot of people complained but the show will go on. 
disneymom2two

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #20 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann121
Recital is always the same day as graduation for our local college. I actually finished college this semester, but did not go to graduation because I would rather watch my daughter in her dance recital. It would have been nice to go though.

I'd choose recital over my graduation as well.  I was happy that I didn't have to choose between my daughter's recital and my son's high school graduation; that wouldn't have gone over well with either.  
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation: