Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
golightly1118

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #1 
I'm trying to work out DD's dance schedule for next year. She's seven and it will be her first year competing, so her class load will be going up significantly. Currently she takes an hour and a half long ballet/jazz/tap combo and an hour acro class on separate days. She's required to take ballet/jazz, acro, hip hop and two company only classes, along with rehearsals as needed. My question is, for dancers this age, is it better to spread the classes out over the week, or just do two long nights at the studio?
prancer

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #2 
Golightly1118, Do you get to choose your class times? Most comp teams will tell you which classes to take. If you can choose, maybe 2 classes per night?
golightly1118

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #3 
The company classes are set, but otherwise we get to pick our times. The SO likes to mix the company kids in with the rec kids for open level classes. I'm going to ask DD's input, but I have a feeling she's going to want to space things out.
LeapYear0208

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #4 
We have specific company classes for all, so we are stuck to whatever the schedule is. We do three, 3 hour nights for required classes. My DD also takes an additional 2 hour night to fit in 2 classes that aren't required but that she wants to take. 
JulieDB

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #5 
I guess our studio wasn't that big. Most of the time, there was no option of different times. I think the year she was 7, there were two different ballet classes at that level, but after that, no.
Lpr3

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #6 
Im in the same boat.  DD6 is upping her hours there next year by a lot.  We're spreading about 7 hours out over 3 days.  2.5 hours on Tuesdays, 1 on Thursday and 3.5 on Saturday mornings.  DD is currently there 2 on Tuesdays and 2 on Saturdays and there's no question she could do more hours now, so I'm not worried about the increase next year.
rubydancemom

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #7 
I would suggest spreading them out. DD likes 2 in one night. We had to load her one year with lyrical, jazz, tech, then ballet all in the same night, and by the time she got to ballet she was BEAT. We ended up moving to a different tech class and going for a rest and snack before ballet to get her through the season, but I would never do that schedule again. This year, she does have one night where she does 3 classes, but they aren't as strenuous. She likes to go into ballet fresh, too. She said it is very hard to do another class then go into ballet.
czmcdaniel

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #8 
I'm the opposite...I like to have her classes in larger blocks.  This gives her more evenings to herself to rest up in between....
lovemykids

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #9 
Being 7 I think is better to have them spread out rather than having long nights. For you it may be more convenient but she may get overly tired from one extra long session and having to go to bed late. At least that was our case. We also don't get to pick. Company class schedule is set and you are either there or out...
LilMama

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #10 
It depends if you child can handle long hours. Although not that we have other option but I personally prefer longer nights than to go in 4-5 days a week for just 2 hours at a time.
my2miracles

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #11 
I think it also depends on homework amounts and due dates.  We struggled with that when dd was in public school.  Her teacher always gave the most homework on the night that dd had the longest dance. 
LilMama

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #12 
Quote:
Originally Posted by my2miracles
I think it also depends on homework amounts and due dates.  We struggled with that when dd was in public school.  Her teacher always gave the most homework on the night that dd had the longest dance. 

You can never predict when to get homework/test. However you're right, DD8 often have to do homework or study while she's having dinner after a long night of dance. It can be challenging for some family.
Phx115

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #13 
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilMama
It depends if you child can handle long hours. Although not that we have other option but I personally prefer longer nights than to go in 4-5 days a week for just 2 hours at a time.

This is my preference. When DD was 7 she was at the studio Tuesdays from 4-9, Thursdays from 4-8 and Saturdays from 11-2. She loved every second of it and, frankly, her homework in 2nd grade wasn't exactly overwhelming. 

Something to consider, though, is how far your drive is to the studio. Ironically, when DD had that schedule the studio was only 10 minutes from our home. Now, she goes 5 days a week (it was 7 days right before comp season kicked in AND the spring ballet production), and the studio is a 30-minute drive. I admit there are some days when getting into the car is the LAST thing I want to do.
udamom

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #14 
If you have the option to choose, choose what you think your child would be best in. We don't have a choice and when my child was 7 and competing it was 2hrs for 2 days out of the week. She was in the mini's then though. At 8 when she went up, she went from 4hrs a week to 8 during the week and up to 6hrs on a Saturday for rehearsals. Our mini's don't have rehearsals on the weekends so they do all their comp dances during the week. 
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.