Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
Phx115

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #1 
Has anyone's dancer auditioned for this summer intensive/program?

If so, is there in advantage to auditioning earlier in the process? For example, Toronto auditions are in November, and London auditions are in January. Do they provide an acceptance/rejection throughout the process or do they wait until all of the auditions are complete?
momcrew

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #2 
I don't think there is an audition for their summer intensive, only for their Pro-division summer session and that lasts an entire month... 
iceberg*lover

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #3 
I don't believe it would make a difference when she auditions. It's very selective. Good luck!
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #4 
As an aside, the documentary "Tutu Much" follows some girls in the summer program and may provide some insight to the school in general. 
Phx115

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #5 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tendumom
As an aside, the documentary "Tutu Much" follows some girls in the summer program and may provide some insight to the school in general. 

It's that very documentary that is propelling her to try out.

The auditions for the 4-week summer program are part 1 of the audition process toward acceptance in their year-round program. The 4-week summer program is the second "audition" to determine if they are suitable for the year-round program.

I know Canada's National Ballet School gives them results at the end of the audition. I just wasn't sure about RWBS.
Angel2228

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #6 
My dd auditioned two years ago at age 11/12 for summer, and was wait listed. I am pretty sure they send out acceptances first, then rejections, then the wait listed. She waited nearly a month.
The following year at 12/13 she auditioned and was sent a rejection email with in two weeks.

Prices were cheaper than both Alberta ballet and NBS. I have talked to a few parents who's dd's had attended these three, and they all seemed to like the RWB the best, although none had been accepted to the full year.

Eta: She auditioned both times in the beginning of their audition season.
Phx115

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #7 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel2228
My dd auditioned two years ago at age 11/12 for summer, and was wait listed. I am pretty sure they send out acceptances first, then rejections, then the wait listed. She waited nearly a month.
The following year at 12/13 she auditioned and was sent a rejection email with in two weeks.

Prices were cheaper than both Alberta ballet and NBS. I have talked to a few parents who's dd's had attended these three, and they all seemed to like the RWB the best, although none had been accepted to the full year.

Eta: She auditioned both times in the beginning of their audition season.

How did they notify you? DD11 auditioned on Monday, and at the Q&A they said responses would be by snail mail. Was that your experience?
Manitobadancemom

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #8 
Both my DD14 and D16 have attended the RWB PD Summer program. My oldest went when she was 12 and youngest went at 10, 12 and 13. My oldest was offered a year round spot but declined. My youngest was not offered a year round spot when she was 10 but she was offered spots at 12 and again at 13 but declined both years because she doesn't want to be a professional ballerina but loves all genres of dance and loves the training she receives in the summer. DD14 has also attended NBS summer and full year program and her preference was RWB but still highly recommends NBS. 

It honestly doesn't matter when you audition. They are looking for a specific type of dancer and 3 months isn't going to change the natural 'ballet' gifts. I have seen dancers that are better than my DD's not get accepted. Girls that are beautiful, work extremely hard and are talented dancers but they don't have the feet, longer legs, shorter torso, natural turnout, etc. They have been training dancers for decades and know what they are looking for. If you don't have it, I hate to be pessimistic but it is very difficult to change your natural body to what they want. They talk about a love for dance but 95% of the girls who audition have that love but still don't get accepted. 

You will audition and then they send out results in about 2 weeks. Everyone I know has always gotten an email and the yes, no and waitlist all heard at the same time. 

If you have any more questions feel free to ask me.
Angel2228

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #9 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phx115

How did they notify you? DD11 auditioned on Monday, and at the Q&A they said responses would be by snail mail. Was that your experience?

She had an email that was about a week after two of her friends who went received their no's.
She could tell who they liked in class. They got the most corrections and attention. Dd had been a fave, but her body type is just not quite right. Short torso and long legs, but slightly too broad of a chest, and too short for her age.
Phx115

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #10 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel2228
She had an email that was about a week after two of her friends who went received their no's. She could tell who they liked in class. They got the most corrections and attention. Dd had been a fave, but her body type is just not quite right. Short torso and long legs, but slightly too broad of a chest, and too short for her age.

Yep. DD is on the short side and while she has really worked on her foot strength and arch, they aren't close to banana feet. Only nine were in her group (age 10-12) and none had that true classical ballet body. However, she didn't want me to watch the master class, so I have no idea about their abilities, etc. She said she saw the RWB auditioners (is that a word?) smiling, talking and nodding at her. Of course, it is probably more likely they were agreeing that her feet need work, or she's too short, etc. I've gently tried to prepare her because she left there with "a feeling" that they liked her and she has a good chance.[frown]
Manitobadancemom

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #11 
Phx115 that's great that she felt like they liked her and hopefully her intuition is correct. My DD's have said that they knew when they were liked (or not) and who they saw that the "auditioners" liked and they were often right. It's also important that she felt good at the audition because if she gets chosen then she knows she'll feel good at the school. My DD's would never let me watch either and I think that shows maturity in your DD that she can handle being away from mom because they have to be able to handle that at a young age if they go away for a month and maybe a whole year. 

Good luck getting through the next couple weeks wondering! The only time I have heard of people not hearing when the rest of the group heard was if they were being offered a scholarship. They give one ~$2000 scholarship to one dancer from every province so a mom told me that her daughter didn't hear for a month but then got the scholarship so assumed that was why it was a delayed offered. 
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.