Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
nyklane

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #1 
Hello there,

So a local competition in the North East - Spririt of Dance Awards - is holding a “pre-critique” day event where studios can come perform their dances and receive live critiques from judges. The dancers don’t have to have costumes, and the judges give the dancers critiques directly and allow the dancers to ask questions to the judges during the session.

Has anyone done anything like this? Was it helpful? My DD is only 8 so she is young. Studio Manager reccomended the event - and I don’t necessarily mind it - as it gives her an opportunity to perform on stage. She hasn’t had many up until this point - and doing this only gives her more experience before her season starts.

Just looking for feedback, pros and cons.

Oh and I am hoping the judges know how to give good feedback to young dancers in a positive way - meaning sharing both good and bad with appropriate delivery. I hope. [smile]
joriebelle

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #2 
I have never heard of such a thing!  I'm not sure how I feel about it.  Gotta think on that one.  Do you have to pay to go?  If not I say go, as it's a chance to get some stage time.  It's so much different dancing on stage than in the classroom.
nyklane

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #3 
Yes, there is a fee of course. Not as much as a typical solo entry. I think $60. I will have to get over the fact that I am sure the critique will include things that DT or myself have already said! LOL - but maybe coming from someone different will be impactful!

I also don’t mind her getting a feel for the marley on the stage -as we dance on hardwood sprung floors that can be slippery at times (we use a lot of rosin some days).

I like the idea of getting to dance on stage w/judges. Just not sure about the live critique portion for a young one. Also - we asked if the room is cleared or there others from other studios listening in... not sure about that either and waiting for the response from the company.
prancer

PREMIUM MEMBER
Reply with quote  #4 
$60 is still expensive, but you are getting all the same experience as doing a solo (other than getting a award), so the price may be acceptable. As for the live critique, my dd has been getting live critiques since age 9. She likes them, but she doesn’t mind corrections. Every live critique we have seen (and these are in front of the full audience) makes sure to say something encouraging along with corrections given in a constructive kind way.
nyklane

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #5 
Prancer, thanks for sharing. My DD is actually pretty good with corrections - and shes’ listened to judges video critiques before. I think along with the experience that she can gain from “doing/experiencing” this it is also maybe good to know she needs to connect with the judges. She did great earlier this season at a “improv” event where the judges were on the stage, and the floor was below. So I suspect this will be good. Except those judges didn’t talk. lol. [smile].
momcrew

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #6 
Chances are you will hear the same thing their teachers tell them every day but have you ever been to a competition where the judges didn't tell the girls to point their toes and straighten their knees? It seems like a new way for a comp to make some money in the "off" season but for $60 I would probably do it. We seek out early comps in February for this purpose before our actual comp season starts. 
dancinmomma2017

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #7 
Our studio is rather large and we have an entire "showcase/fake-competition" for this before our season begins. Our SO hires 3 actual  judges to come and they critique every single dance and give direct feedback to the teachers (not dancers). 

It is super helpful, especially for the younger ones. I think anything that helps with being prepared is beneficial. 
nyklane

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #8 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dancinmomma2017
Our studio is rather large and we have an entire "showcase/fake-competition" for this before our season begins. Our SO hires 3 actual  judges to come and they critique every single dance and give direct feedback to the teachers (not dancers). 

It is super helpful, especially for the younger ones. I think anything that helps with being prepared is beneficial. 

We kind of did this last year. We did a closed studio - full costume and had 3 judges - but the judges were older dancers from our studio. It was a good event to get new dancers used to the process - but it wasn’t on a stage and in the typical set up.

I agree - with the prepared!
my2miracles

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #9 
I think this might be valuable to an older dancer but I wouldn't have done this when my daughter was 8.  I guess it depends on the child and what you think they can handle.
tappinmom

Double Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #10 
Our second studio had a pre comp showcase at a professional theatre with full costume, make up, lights, etc.  They taped it and then all the DT's gave each routine feedback.  It was great for everyone from the little 4 year olds right up to the 18 year olds.  The DT's changed their approach depending on the age of the child and the kids learned a lot.
nyklane

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #11 
I figured I'd come back and share our experience.  It was good!

We took 3 solos - ages 7/8/9 (the only ones that were completed so far) to the pre-critique event.  They had full stage and everything as in a normal comp set up.  They also had 4 judges available.  Each girl did her routine, then came to the front of the stage at the end of their dance, and the judges then spoke.  It was very much like the video critiques that we normally get from comps.  They were very appropriate in how they shared good things and corrections.  They additionally spoke to the costume, props (if used) and choreography.  Each dancer and, at the end, the studio, was encouraged to ask questions (our girls were too nervous/young I think -but other studios did).

Overall it was a really great experience.  Even better than I thought,  we got way more time and critique from the judges (and more judges!) than we would have in a normal competition.  As a lot of folks say here on the board - it's not about the plastic trophy - but more about the feedback -and this was *exactly* that experience.   We were allowed to photograph and record, so we have those for reviews later.

We will definitely do it again.  (We attended Spirit of Dance Pre-Critiques - I believe they really are only in the Northeast US).

joriebelle

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #12 
We did this last night for the 6 girls going to YAGP February 1st.  Rented a theater at a local high school and each dancer had to pay $100.  There were two "judges" who used YAGP scoring sheet templates and scored the girls and gave them feedback.  Then the SO and teachers went over the feedback with them today.
meatball77

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #13 
You'd get more out of just scheduling a private with another teacher at your studio. 
joriebelle

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #14 
Not really.  None of our rooms are as large as a theater and the mock competition with full hair and makeup and costume helped get her in the zone as if she was at YAGP.  Or so she said.
nyklane

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #15 
Us too.  Our studio size is smaller - but also our floors are sprung hardwood, and stages are typically Marley - it's a different feel for our dancers as well.

Plus our it was good for our little ones to get over their nerves without adjudications. 😉 
AnnaBeav

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #16 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tappinmom
Our second studio had a pre comp showcase at a professional theatre with full costume, make up, lights, etc.  They taped it and then all the DT's gave each routine feedback. 

Our studio does this as well. They include all of the teams (non comp groups as well) so it is a great chance to see what everyone is doing.

They also have pre-comp judging sessions in the studio where the dancers perform for other DTs and get critiques afterwards.

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.