Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #1 
Dd's thinking of mixing things up a bit and auditioning with the thought that if she got in she'd go for a week before her ballet SI.  Anyone care to share what she might expect at the audition if we managed to fit it in?  She hung up her tap shoes back in 2014... don't know how much of a concern that would be.  TIA
nowmomto3

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #2 
My D has attended RSI for several years.  The audition typically runs several hours, depending on the number of dancers there.  They will learn a jazz combo and a simple tap combo.  They will have them audition in 3's.  They audition first with the jazz combo.  They will do a series of eye high kicks and a double pirouette.  Then they do the tap portion, which is very short.  They will have to do time steps during that tap portion.  

My D took tap from the time she was 5 until she was about 12.  Then she stopped taking tap classes.  However, it hasn't been a problem. 

Looking the part is always good as well.  Good luck!  My D absolutely loves RSI, be prepared for swollen feet and blisters, dancing in heels for 6 days all day long, take a number on the feet, more than pointe, surprisingly. 
judie

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #3 
I am sure with good ballet training she will do well.  Tap does play a role, but they score on kicks, tap, and jazz based on the combos they are taught.  

DD17 is looking at attending her 4th RSI this summer, IF she can afford it.  Mom is not footing the bill for this one,as she will be footing the bill for attending the actual audition. It is not cheap.  $1000-$1600 depending on what week you get (invitational is more money), but you need to figure in airfare, hotel (average $250 per dayx7), and meals.  We "saved" money by eating smaller deli fare than going to restaurants.  If you are going to tour around and use the subway, it's about $31 per person.  Also, they give you one ticket for the ending showcase, but each additional runs about $50 each.

I will say, DD17 LOVED the experience, and it really solidified her desire to become a Rockette.

01balletmom

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #4 
I was wondering if anyone had current information for the current  2017 summer season.  I am just trying to see what the result timeframes are and if the first year auditionees would still get a letter in the mail?  Thank you so much!
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #5 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01balletmom
I was wondering if anyone had current information for the current  2017 summer season.  I am just trying to see what the result timeframes are and if the first year auditionees would still get a letter in the mail?  Thank you so much!

My dd went last year and is attending again as an alum this year.  Assuming the process runs as it did last year, initial results went out mid March by email.  Dd was waitlisted at that point and taken off the waitlist in April.  That final email included a link for online registration as well as an attached Welcome Packet.  She did not receive anything in the mail as I recall.  Of course, i have no way of knowing if that was just because she was waitlisted first.  
01balletmom

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #6 
Ok thanks! I just wasn't sure if it was like ballet auditions.  Sounds more like they let everyone know at once.  Anxiously awaiting [smile]
nowmomto3

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #7 
My D attended for several years and the timing of the acceptances are usually mid-March, sometimes a little sooner and once even a little later.  Acceptances are always done via email now.  Good luck, it's a lot of fun.  My D loved her time at RSI!
01balletmom

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #8 
Ok, thanks so much! awesome to know to look out for an email [smile] I'm really hoping she gets this opportunity!!
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #9 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01balletmom
Ok, thanks so much! awesome to know to look out for an email [smile] I'm really hoping she gets this opportunity!!

Don't be too disappointed if she gets waitlisted.  That was the advice I was given last year by those in the know last year and it was good advice.   Alums are automatically in without having to audition again and they get first dibs.  So the program has more limited spots available for new dancers in the initial round.  Only once alums give them notice that they will not be returning to more spots become available.  Just a heads up.
01balletmom

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #10 
Yeah that's what I've been seeing.  At this point I'm hoping for at least wait listed as I know how limited it seems to be.  Thanks for the warning [smile]
jujusmom

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #11 
And even if you are told no, don't write it off entirely!  The first year my dancer auditioned she was accepted but couldn't go.  She auditioned the second year and received a thanks but no thanks letter only to find out in May space had opened up and she was in.  She's attended twice and absolutely loves it!  She's sad she isn't going this year but is looking forward to returning next summer!

Good luck!
nowmomto3

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #12 
She will love it!  It's such an inspiring week! 

My D won't be going this year, so there's another alum spot open [smile]

Side note- What's with the thumbs down on this thread hahahaha!!!
01balletmom

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #13 
Thanks for the enouragement[smile]  She's been totally obsessed ever since one of her studio alum became one a few years ago and watching her journey!
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.