Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
dance010

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #1 
Has anyone's DD attended the Rockette Summer Intensive Audition? DD is thinking of auditioning this year. So far, she has been trained as a normal "convention kid" would be. Competing and going to conventions this year as an independent dancer. We live in Southern California, and LA dancing she loves and it is a big part of her life. She has no experience with this more "New York" style of dance, or with dancing in heels for that matter. How important is that? Do all the girls that audition have experience in heels? She doesn't have character shoes or character taps, it says on the website that they aren't required for the audition, but she is worried about being the only one there with black taps and tan jazz shoes. Does everyone have the heels at the audition? She quit tap about a year and a half ago, it just wasn't her thing. DD is 19 and her and I both think this would be a fun change for her this summer (last year she attended the Joffrey West program). Anyone else have experience with the Rockettes SI Audition?

Lots of questions here, I'm sorry!! [smile]
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #2 
Dd has done the SI the past two years.  As I recall she did not have heels at the audition and was in good company.  Audition involved a jazz combo and a tap combo performed in small groups.  There is a specific style, yes... not a 'ny' style but a 'Rockette' style.... and it's really not something you can be expected to know unless you've been to one of their programs.  So dancers just do their best to imitate what they are shown.

Dd loved the program and is planning to go again this year even though ballet is her first love.  Just never know where that road's gonna lead you.
Lad16

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #3 
My daughter has attended the SI, although heels are not required for audition, they are required for the intensive, both character and tap heels. She shouldn’t be intimidated though, it is a great experience!
dance010

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #4 
Quote:
Originally Posted by heidi459
Dd has done the SI the past two years.  As I recall she did not have heels at the audition and was in good company.  Audition involved a jazz combo and a tap combo performed in small groups.  There is a specific style, yes... not a 'ny' style but a 'Rockette' style.... and it's really not something you can be expected to know unless you've been to one of their programs.  So dancers just do their best to imitate what they are shown.

Dd loved the program and is planning to go again this year even though ballet is her first love.  Just never know where that road's gonna lead you.

Good to know thank you! Do you by any chance remember about how long the audition was? DD has a Bday party later that day and is worried she is going to have to miss it (teenagers[rolleyes]).
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dance010

Good to know thank you! Do you by any chance remember about how long the audition was? DD has a Bday party later that day and is worried she is going to have to miss it (teenagers[rolleyes]).

It was in 2016 (once you get accepted you're an automatic shoe-in going forward), so her memory is a little fuzzy, but she's guessing at least 2, possibly closer to 3 hours.  But it's going to depend on how many dancers are auditioning.  She auditioned in nyc and I imagine that particular one draws the largest crowd.  I actually can remember the line of dancers going around the corner at Radio City that morning.  It was crazy.

Also, she gave me some additional info that you might want to pass on to your daughter.  Said they did a kickline, a turn combination, a jazz combination, and then a tap combination.  That they first taught the combos in the large group and once everyone had learned it they called out three or four dancers at a time to do it in front of the panel (and videotaped this portion).  Hope that helps.  

dance010

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #6 
Quote:

It was in 2016 (once you get accepted you're an automatic shoe-in going forward), so her memory is a little fuzzy, but she's guessing at least 2, possibly closer to 3 hours.  But it's going to depend on how many dancers are auditioning.  She auditioned in nyc and I imagine that particular one draws the largest crowd.  I actually can remember the line of dancers going around the corner at Radio City that morning.  It was crazy.

Also, she gave me some additional info that you might want to pass on to your daughter.  Said they did a kickline, a turn combination, a jazz combination, and then a tap combination.  That they first taught the combos in the large group and once everyone had learned it they called out three or four dancers at a time to do it in front of the panel (and videotaped this portion).  Hope that helps.  

She's auditioning in LA so there might be less people than in NYC. Thanks for the extra info!! I will pass that along to my DD for sure. It will help ease her nerves I bet. Did your DD wear the signature red lipstick to her audition? DD was thinking about it but didn't want to be the only one, she is quite fair skinned and very blonde and so when she wears red lipstick it POPS, lol. There's no hiding from it 
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #7 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dance010

She's auditioning in LA so there might be less people than in NYC. Thanks for the extra info!! I will pass that along to my DD for sure. It will help ease her nerves I bet. Did your DD wear the signature red lipstick to her audition? DD was thinking about it but didn't want to be the only one, she is quite fair skinned and very blonde and so when she wears red lipstick it POPS, lol. There's no hiding from it 

I don't believe she did & the reason I say that is because I remember being surprised by many of the older girls who were in full make up, hair in a french twist.  But thinking back... those girls may have been auditioning for the invitation-only week.  They certainly didn't look like first timers.  I'd tell her just to bring it & decide when she gets there... whatever makes her most comfortable.  It certainly won't influence the judging panel one way or the other.

Oh & the other thing to know... if she gets waitlisted tell her not to be discouraged.  This is a program where alumnae are automatically in for the next year, no audition required unless you want to be considered for the invitation-only week, & a large number of them will go year after year after year.  But the powers-that-be won't know exactly who decides to return until that money is due.  In other words... they don't even know how many slots they have available.  My point?  A lot of dancers come off the waitlist.  People talked about it here the year my dd auditioned (when I was asking my own questions).  Happened to my dd.  Happened to two of her friends last year.
dance010

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #8 
Quote:

I don't believe she did & the reason I say that is because I remember being surprised by many of the older girls who were in full make up, hair in a french twist.  But thinking back... those girls may have been auditioning for the invitation-only week.  They certainly didn't look like first timers.  I'd tell her just to bring it & decide when she gets there... whatever makes her most comfortable.  It certainly won't influence the judging panel one way or the other.

Oh & the other thing to know... if she gets waitlisted tell her not to be discouraged.  This is a program where alumnae are automatically in for the next year, no audition required unless you want to be considered for the invitation-only week, & a large number of them will go year after year after year.  But the powers-that-be won't know exactly who decides to return until that money is due.  In other words... they don't even know how many slots they have available.  My point?  A lot of dancers come off the waitlist.  People talked about it here the year my dd auditioned (when I was asking my own questions).  Happened to my dd.  Happened to two of her friends last year.

Thanks so much for your help!! It really helped calm my daughter's nerves. She had her audition today. She LOVED the experience but says she didn't do as well as she hoped. She was in the first group to go every time they did it in small groups of 3 (we were first in line to sign in this morning, sorry, overeager mom here[rolleyes]) so she didn't have any time to go over the routine on the sides while some other groups went. She says that if she was in a group later on that she would have done much better... We will see, time will tell! I have no idea what they were looking for or how selective this intensive is at all... Thank you again for your help!
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.