Author   Comment   Page 2 of 13      Prev   1   2   3   4   5   Next   »
gandalf

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #26 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mittenmom3
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissa745
Did you see it snow during their group number???? That was crazy.
I thought so too! Maybe things have changed, but during our comp days having anything like that fall on the stage as a prop was against the rules. Too hard to sweep up and other groups could slip, fall.

I've heard it mentioned before that they often film the dance twice.  Once for the judges, and then later for the cameras. That "snow" could have been just for the camera, during a break, or at the end of the day.
dad_of_four

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #27 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnDanceMom
I can't believe that there isn't some behind the scenes conversations with the judges at these competitions beforehand about making it look like a real competition "but this is how we want the results to go down as to a couple of the numbers.

I rarely watch the show, but if this is a true competition,
and the judges are being pressured one way or another, someone could be in big trouble.
Competition fees are typically mailed in, so the Comps could be guilty of mail-fraud.
Our studio spends over $10,000 in entry fees,
so now we are talking about Grand-Theft, which is a felony.
So either the judges scores are true, or perhaps the entire competition is staged.
dad_of_four

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #28 
Quote:
Originally Posted by gandalf
Quote:
Quote:
I thought so too! Maybe things have changed, but during our comp days having anything like that fall on the stage as a prop was against the rules. Too hard to sweep up and other groups could slip, fall.

I've heard it mentioned before that they often film the dance twice.  Once for the judges, and then later for the cameras. That "snow" could have been just for the camera, during a break, or at the end of the day.

MY DD17 said if you look close, there is often NOBODY in the wings when the camera is panning, etc.
That would tell me that these camera shots are no made during the actual Comp.
You see the back of the judges heads, but those could be stand-ins
MinnDanceMom

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #29 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dad_of_four
Quote:
I can't believe that there isn't some behind the scenes conversations with the judges at these competitions beforehand about making it look like a real competition "but this is how we want the results to go down as to a couple of the numbers.

and the judges are being pressured one way or another, someone could be in big trouble.
Competition fees are typically mailed in, so the Comps could be guilty of mail-fraud.
So either the judges scores are true, or perhaps the entire competition is staged.

You will doubtful ever have sufficient evidence to get anyone in big trouble because of the results of a dance competition. They are so subjective to begin with that there isn't really any damage to anyone if they get 4th instead on 3rd. In addition, those releases you have to sign to do their private televised competitions probably prevent any liability for less than honest results. I signed one 2 years ago, but I don't remember what it said, because dance competitions are pretty low on my list of importance. Haha! I just signed it. Fun, yes, but competitions are not very meaningful to my family, not really. [smile]

Anyway, when the show filmed in my area, only the audience paid. The local studios did not have to pay entry fees. From what people on here have said, though, it sounds like they are now charging entry fees.
Kechara7881

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #30 
Quote:

They even tested it first lol. Thankfully the Aldc group went last so we didn't have to wait for cleanup (except so they could dance it again)
Kechara7881

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #31 
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by gandalf
Quote:
Quote:

MY DD17 said if you look close, there is often NOBODY in the wings when the camera is panning, etc.
That would tell me that these camera shots are no made during the actual Comp.
You see the back of the judges heads, but those could be stand-ins

There was no one in the wings because they wouldn't allow anyone back there when they were filming the girls. The snow was done at the end during their group number. They did all the camera shots during the competition. And those were the judges that were there. They do dance, twice in a row, once for judging, once for more shots. As for results, they didn't win (except maddie in the teens). If DDs studio hadn't of competed, they would have probably won everything. I think there was maybe 60/70 numbers total and it took from 9 am to 5 ish to finish. Yes I paid to watch but DDs solo and her studios other entries were free. It was the longest day ever lol.

I could care less about this show, but DD did compete at this comp so I wanted to clear up some misconceptions.
Kechara7881

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #32 
Quote:
Quote:

This particular comp I feel that the placements were accurate. The judges didn't pay alot of attention to anyone but the Aldc girls, however, they did manage to get the overalls correct
Sarahbearsmom

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #33 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kechara7881
Quote:
Quote:

This particular comp I feel that the placements were accurate. The judges didn't pay alot of attention to anyone but the Aldc girls, however, they did manage to get the overalls correct

Wait Maddie beat your daughters solo!? Your daughter is amazing, I can't see how that happened.
Kechara7881

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #34 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahbearsmom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kechara7881
Quote:
Quote:

Wait Maddie beat your daughters solo!? Your daughter is amazing, I can't see how that happened.

My DD is in the senior division so she didn't go against Maddie [smile]
Sarahbearsmom

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #35 
Oh okay lol
Cookmomx3

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #36 
Our studio danced against them in November, I think it was. No entry fees. And the ALDC didn't win anything. It will be interesting to see how it's portrayed when the episode airs! I will watch that one! Lol
ggsmith

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #37 
Based on the direction things are going this year, I'd say it will be Nia's fault along with her mother and by extension all the mothers.  Don't they realize they are representing Abby?  How dare they!
socalkdg

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #38 
Lost a day of my life that I'll never get back.  Watched ALDC live since my DD's studio had 3 girls dancing there and she wanted to watch and support them at the Fox Theater.

The whole thing feels completely staged with regards to the moms.  First I'll say all of them were very nice to all the girls in the audience, talking with them, one of the moms gave roses out, etc.  Additionally all of them seemed very friendly to each other.

They have created a competition between themselves and a "rival" west coast studio (a very good competition studio by the way) that consisted of 2 solos and 1 small group number for ALDC and 1 solo and 1 group number for the rival studio.   The dancing was top notch.  Was it the best of the day?  Maybe.  They set it up so that they compete back to back with each other.  Also noticed that ALDC's solo and group numbers were very short, easily below 90 seconds, feeling almost incomplete.  

My daughter had a blast even though she had never watched an episode.  My wife was the smart one in all of this, staying home.

This competition was invite only that required submission of dance videos.   Ran from 9-4, very short.  Two of our small groups were invited as well, but were missing a girl for the weekend so declined to participate.  The Fox is a gorgeous venue to watch a a show at.
Twinkletoesx2

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #39 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookmomx3
Our studio danced against them in November, I think it was. No entry fees. And the ALDC didn't win anything. It will be interesting to see how it's portrayed when the episode airs! I will watch that one! Lol

What city?
Tapntwirl

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #40 
Our studio competed against the ALDC late last year. It was a fun day, but I do wonder how it will actually be displayed. As for the snow, if the theater has it, it's an easy prop to pull off. My daughter attended a dance school that used it every year in their winter recital.
Is Abby actually opening a studio in LA or is it a storyline? Has anyone seen or heard of a real location? I find it suspicious that they don't show a business front on previews.
beachgirl

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #41 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapntwirl

Is Abby actually opening a studio in LA or is it a storyline? Has anyone seen or heard of a real location? I find it suspicious that they don't show a business front on previews.

Aren't there a lot of good studios in LA or are those on the outskirts? I'm wondering if she does open an
LA studio how that studio can compete with the other established ones. She would either have to hope the
show continues so she attracts people who want to be on TV or she would need to recruit excellent dance
teachers.
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #42 
I recently semi-binge watched season 4 on Netflix. They didn't have the full season (missing half the episodes) and there were episodes where I just fast forwarded to the dancing.. so hence the "semi-binge" LOL. Anyway, hearing of the whole west coast thing, I decided to look up her west coast studio. Surprise, surprise.. I found nothing. I suspect the answer is this is just a storyline. 
crazymom4

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #43 
The only thing that I can say about this episode is that it did reminded me that Abby did at one time have a good relationship with the girls and their families. When Mia was discussing her grandfather, Abby was genuinely concerned and actually mentioned that she always loved talking to him when he brought her to class. It seems more like something a studio owner would say instead of the evil Abby the show portrays.

I thought this was one of the more normal shows than most. However, I thought it was funny that they didn't know what category they would be in until right before they danced. We know as soon as we are entered the age categories. Really fake but it is entertainment and I am always entertained when I watch. I think of it as a soap opera. Just like I enjoy watching General hospital enough to record it daily and watch at night while sewing or stoning.   At my house the other alternative to watch is with my husband and it's either Alaskan gold rush, or Alaskan outback, or Alaskan shrimp boats, or oddly enough Moonshiners. Yes, we are a very well rounded family. LOL

My husband said "we have no choice to watch a bunch of crap like this, because we work in such professional, stuffy, stressful jobs, a little guilty pleasure without a lot of thought is what keeps us sane."

My2DanceLoves

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #44 
Anyone seen any of the footage for the new "Dance Mums"  in the UK? 

That I think I would watch.  I hope it will air in the U.S. at some point.
ggsmith

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #45 
I've seen some youtube videos from the "Dance Mums" UK show.  Abby showed up there, too.  I'd watch it!
bopmom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #46 
Quote:
Quote:

Most of these comps are "invite only" and they do not pay entry fees.  Guest pay to watch but the dancers do not dance.  AT least the time that some of the local studios here went, that's how it is presented.
emmymom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #47 
I will admit that I don't watch the show anymore and haven't for some time.  However, after reading through this thread I decided to tune in last night.

What the heck is with Abby?  I really cannot believe her behavior.  Yes, she was her normal nasty self but then she was also bordering on psycho.  If this is all scripted (and I do believe most of it is) why on earth is she acting like at total whack job?  I would never allow myself to look like such a jack___.  This show is beyond horrible in everyway but I cannot imagine anyone having any respect for her professionally or personally after her neurotic behavior.  I really can't understand why she would allow herself to be portrayed this way. 

I really don't know why this show is still on the air.  I found Tuesdays episode offensive in so many ways. 

Why do people want themselves and their children to be a part of this train wreck?  I do not get it!
dancemonkaymom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #48 
I just watched the Hello Hollywood goodbye Abby episode. It was very strange almost bipolar from helpful and hard working Abby to on the verge of a nervous breakdown Abby.
I think since Kelly and Christie are gone they needed to fill the role of mom that is always complaining and that role is now Hollys and I don't like her in it. She has always been the voice of reason and compassion and now she just whines and complains. sigh.

I was wondering if anyone noticed that Maddie tied for first place with a perfect score. Do you know who that was? It looked like it was Kalani because she was there on stage when Maddie got her award  and I only noticed it because I could rewind. I saw that Kalani had a trophy in front of her, yet the show only showed Maddie as having a solo. Its so frustrating to see how unreal and contrived this all is.

Im wondering if they are all regretting staying with Abby because she has become very unreliable and that was that skirmish she had in the street before the acting audition?

On the show prior the fake snow at the end would have had points deducted in a real competition. Did you noticed how warped the floor was, not exactly safe I think.

Why do I still watch the show? My daughter graduated and doesn't dance anymore so I dont get to see competitions anymore and I love watching the girls dance.

Beccasmom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #49 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dancemonkaymom
I just watched the Hello Hollywood goodbye Abby episode. It was very strange almost bipolar from helpful and hard working Abby to on the verge of a nervous breakdown Abby.
I think since Kelly and Christie are gone they needed to fill the role of mom that is always complaining and that role is now Hollys and I don't like her in it. She has always been the voice of reason and compassion and now she just whines and complains. sigh.

I was wondering if anyone noticed that Maddie tied for first place with a perfect score. Do you know who that was? It looked like it was Kalani because she was there on stage when Maddie got her award  and I only noticed it because I could rewind. I saw that Kalani had a trophy in front of her, yet the show only showed Maddie as having a solo. Its so frustrating to see how unreal and contrived this all is.

Im wondering if they are all regretting staying with Abby because she has become very unreliable and that was that skirmish she had in the street before the acting audition?

On the show prior the fake snow at the end would have had points deducted in a real competition. Did you noticed how warped the floor was, not exactly safe I think.

Why do I still watch the show? My daughter graduated and doesn't dance anymore so I dont get to see competitions anymore and I love watching the girls dance.

My dd follows all the DM girls and she said last night that Kalani did have a solo at that competition. So it is very possible that's who Maddie tied with. 

And to the OP, Sabrina, no flamage here......we're still watching, it's our Tuesday night ritual, lol.
Twinkletoesx2

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #50 
Kalani did have a solo and won 1st in the teen division and tied for overall with Maddie because they both got perfect scores. I read it on a DM spoilers site.

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation: