Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 6 of 13     «   Prev   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   Next   »
gymmommy71

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #126 
Quote:
Originally Posted by robven1921
Yeah , they may be chasing fame, I ain't ever gonna be mad a dancer trying to get paid

It's more the age at what they are doing it that bugs me - in a way all these little kids trying to be media sensations before they turn 13 almost mocks hard working adult dancers. Almost like a bunch of doogie housers all rushing to get their medical license before their drivers license.

I do wonder what these kids are all going to be like when they are 18 - will they all still be a "big deal" or will the public's interest start to fade? I don't know of too many famous 17-18 year olds - seems like they are all 13 and younger.
Mom2Girls

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #127 
It is such a bizarre culture that encourages kids to hit their peak (in terms of fame, talent, etc.) at such a young age, because, really, when it comes down to it, most will be looking back on this period as their peak. Seems so unhealthy to me. It's like everyone wants these dancers to be a "finished product" by 12. I have a friend who is a comp studio teacher and she is always trying to get me to push my girls to have "skills" faster. It's bs. They're little girls. They're growing and developing and trying to become the best they can, but they aren't "there" yet, nor would they wish away these years that make up the journey. That doesn't even touch on the fact that they are in a ballet school and the teachers don't really want them doing much at home beyond stretching and using their therabands--certainly not these "skills".
Cookmomx3

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #128 
My dd is 12 and really wanted to attend Nuvo while it was local, in January. We couldn't swing it financially (it wasn't a required studio convention). She was upset about it. But I found out why Nuvo was SOOOO important to her, just a few days ago. Club Dance was there. She wanted to meet those little girls mentioned above. All those names, plus some, she mentioned to me! Ugh. Some of her friends from our studio went, and they all had pictures with those little girls! This whole scene is actually kinda bizarre! Lol.
My2DanceLoves

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #129 
I wasn't present when DD watched this week's so I have no first hand knowledge. But did someone say Aubrey O'Day???    Wow ..... the show is really getting desperate. 
MinnDanceMom

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #130 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JojosDanceMom
I watched some of the live stream of Jump because I was curious to see how the girls measured up at a real competition (rather than one created specifically for the show). The only solo I actually got to see was Payton's... but I got to see the awards.  They held their own.  Kalani didn't compete a solo, but she did win VIP.  It'll be interesting if she goes back to The Dance Awards this year.  She's already won Best Dancer once, as a junior.  Maybe she can do it again as a teen.  The 2014 Teen Best Dancer in Vegas was from her studio... Club Dance.  I still consider Club Dance her studio.  I look at her time with ALDC as more of a job than a studio change.  LOL

Yes. Kalani is still with Club Dance. She and Sarah R (from Dance Moms last season) are competing solos at Nuvo in Minneapolis this Friday. They are both entered as being from Club Dance.
Twinkletoesx2

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #131 
Quote:
Originally Posted by My2DanceLoves
I wasn't present when DD watched this week's so I have no first hand knowledge. But did someone say Aubrey O'Day???    Wow ..... the show is really getting desperate. 

Haha yes and yes they are!
crafty1

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #132 
I watched this past episode, and I think Abbey wants off the show. First, her whole attitude during "pyramid" (or lack thereof) was so different. Then the scene when she was crying and said that she was done with "all of this", but she still wants to teach dance. In the episode the week before, she did not have her hair and makeup done. I suspect she missed her call time.  I can't help but wonder if the lawsuit against her by Paige really got to her. She had also commented that people think she is hurting children, and that she would never hurt a child.

Yes, I know this is a very scripted and edited show, but those scenes seemed different to me. I feel that she stopped being the character Abbey and was more of what she possibly really is. I had my older daughter (19) watch the crying scene without commenting to her about my thoughts. DD19 wants to be a stage actress, and she is always watching how people act.  She looked at it and said, "Oh, Abbey broke character! She looks like she wants off the show". Yes, broke character. Very astute. Also, most of the comments by the "dance moms" about her losing it were mostly done after the fact. I suspect that was to add to the story line that the producers created with the editing of Abbey's outbursts. I think the outbursts are against the show itself.
IreneP

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #133 

A question for you moms who live in the US: how can Kalani be at Jump with ALDC one week and then compete at Nuvo the next week under Club Dance?

I understand when they are filming for the show but Jump/Nuvo etc.. are "real conventions", attended by studios with their "real students".

Can a dancer really go back and forth 2 studios during the same season?

I've never seen anything like that happen here where we live so I'm genuinely curious.

heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #134 
I don't think there are any rules against dancing with more than one studio.  A studio might not allow it's dancer to dancer for another studio but I don't see why a comp should care, to be honest with you.  Since there's nothing at stake.
JojosDanceMom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #135 
The only rules I've ever seen about that is that a dancer cannot compete for two different studios at one comp event.  So for Jump Pittsburg she could not have competed for ALDC AND Club Dance.
purplerain

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #136 
Quote:
Originally Posted by gymmommy71
Quote:
Originally Posted by JojosDanceMom
Quote:
Originally Posted by robven1921
The 2014 Mini Best Dancer from Vegas is also from club dance, Brynn Rumfallo ( who will guest on DM this week ) , as well as a mini runner up,( Bostyn Brown ) junior runner up( Jaycee Wilkins) and teen runner up ( Addison Moffett ). Club Dance really puts out some talented dancers

Yeah, I saw that.  They're a strong group of dancers.  Those girls are probably training hard to reach their goals!!  I get the feeling that they have some degree of talent management in their studio too... similar to what Abby Lee is trying to claim she's doing with ALDC.  

I think all the club dance girls mentioned above were born w/ amazing feet, legs and natural flexibilty. I'm sure they work hard and Club Dance has good training too, but I think genetics had a really big role in how good they are. And btw, they've also all been "chasing fame" for a long time - some were in those shake it up make your mark contests, and others were on America's got Talent - they had a group of them called Fresh Faces, and Kalani was part of a group too w/ some catchy nickname. Now here they are associating themselves w/ Dance Moms - not as much as a suprise to me considering the earlier stuff.

Don't forget they also have their own fan pages and thousand of instagram followers
purplerain

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #137 
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrenePink2013

A question for you moms who live in the US: how can Kalani be at Jump with ALDC one week and then compete at Nuvo the next week under Club Dance?

I understand when they are filming for the show but Jump/Nuvo etc.. are "real conventions", attended by studios with their "real students".

Can a dancer really go back and forth 2 studios during the same season?

I've never seen anything like that happen here where we live so I'm genuinely curious.

I think it depends on the competition. Some comps have rules regarding this others don't.
IreneP

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #138 

Thanks everyone for your answers! [smile]

Just to clarify (in case it sounded that way), I was not criticizing the convention or the dancers. Just pure curiosity on my part. As I said before, we don't live in the US so it's always interesting to learn more about your competitions/conventions.

Ktyyyyyyy

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #139 
DD competed at NUVO last month under her contemporary company that is a separate name and intity from her studio, and she will be competing next week at 24Seven under her studio name.
Psmom

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #140 
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrenePink2013

Thanks everyone for your answers! [smile]

Just to clarify (in case it sounded that way), I was not criticizing the convention or the dancers. Just pure curiosity on my part. As I said before, we don't live in the US so it's always interesting to learn more about your competitions/conventions.

Dancers can compete for more than one studio just not at the same competition during the same weekend. I know dancers who do this for valid reasons. Our studio had one dancer who competed a duo with a dancer from a different studio. That was a little trickier when both studios were there. I really don't remember how that was listed.
dancemonkaymom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #141 
Just finished watching the show from this week where the all the girls are asked to be in a MAttyB video. (apparently hes the next Justin Beiber?) Abby was pushing for Mackenzie to be the lead and there was a whole thing where Melissa signed a contract without abby looking at it. Abby was threatening to pull the all the girls from the video because Mackenzie wasn't getting co-billing or revenue sharing etc and the show was left hanging as to what was going to happen. Well heres the video.
Psmom

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #142 
That was pretty cute. If I had a preteen I'd be happy to let them watch this video. Correct me if I'm wrong but are any of the ALDC girls in it other than Nia?
dncemom01

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #143 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psmom
That was pretty cute. If I had a preteen I'd be happy to let them watch this video. Correct me if I'm wrong but are any of the ALDC girls in it other than Nia?

It doesn't look like it. 
Bonbonmama

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #144 
I think all the girls who were there *with* ALDC ended up in the video except for Mackenzie. Guess they pulled her for not getting star billing..! (Rolling eyes)
YDD still likes this show, DD(13) watches it now and then but generally just FF to the dancing at this point...
Twinkletoesx2

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #145 
Younger dd watched the video after the show and said that Nia was the only "original" ALDC girl in the video. I thought the video was very cute and the song annoyingly catchy [smile] Looked like the kids had fun.
marabbit

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #146 
Kendall was cast in it, but guessing that when Abby pulled the fake oh my gosh MacKenzie can't dance in it because she is under contract and Melissa acted clueless like she didn't know, lol they pulled Kendall too.  Either that or Jill pulled her because she had a backup part and the "guest" dancers got the better parts.  I'm figuring this will be the new drama, that Holly and the "new" mom's let their kids stay in it and Jill stands by Abby and pulls Kendall. 

This whole thing is definitely fake and scripted.  A friend of ours from motocross  did wifeswap quite a few years back and it was equally as scripted, they pretty much put words in their mouth asked them questions and then played the answers with different questions and in different scenes, making things look way different than anyone felt. Neither family was to the extreme that they were made out to be and though they always put polar opposite families together, most of the time neither family are the extremest they are portrayed to be.  The only saving grace for them is you sign up for 1 episode and then are done.  It is hard for me to believe after 5 seasons that everyone on the set doesn't know that their words will be "placed" into the scenes in different context and appear for them to be saying things they aren't.  Honestly I think they are plain out given scripts at this point, because if they weren't willing and reading from them I would just not say a thing so they couldn't change it around.
gymmommy71

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #147 
That "singer" looks like he's vanilla ice's son. It's sad that all their dance training and here they do a job that is hopping back and forth and swishing their hands in dance moves that require no formal training at all.

Nia looked really unnatural w/ very forced facials in her shots to me, not a good acting performance - her and Kalani also looked way too old to be in this. JoJo did a good job IMO.

Basically this is another "we need to make up a job that the ALDC girls can fight over and/or do so we have a storyline for the show" video like that Lux thing they had at the end of season 1. Very lame.

kmpmom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #148 
My 14 year old had never heard of Maddy D.  Kalani was the best 'actress' in the piece but looked like his older sister.  JoJo was bopping along but often a half beat behind, as normal.  Nia looked shellshocked.  No sign of Kendall, Maddie, or MacKenzie. 

dancemonkaymom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #149 
I thought the video was cute. I thought that if Abby didn't want Melissa to sign anything that she would have been on the set on time or specifically told Melissa not to sign anything way before the shooting. Melissa even brought maddie to the shoot, but im sure abby would think that the video was way beneath Maddie. I don't really care for Jojo but you gotta hand it to her she nailed the audition and she looked cute in the video. Did Jill pull Kendall out because she wasn't a lead? Maybe , but  a video is a video. I found what the casting guys were saying very interesting and enlighteneing. Probably the most honest review of the girls ever.
marabbit

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #150 
Quote:
Originally Posted by gymmommy71
That "singer" looks like he's vanilla ice's son. It's sad that all their dance training and here they do a job that is hopping back and forth and swishing their hands in dance moves that require no formal training at all. Nia looked really unnatural w/ very forced facials in her shots to me, not a good acting performance - her and Kalani also looked way too old to be in this. JoJo did a good job IMO. Basically this is another "we need to make up a job that the ALDC girls can fight over and/or do so we have a storyline for the show" video like that Lux thing they had at the end of season 1. Very lame.

bingo.  At one point after the wifeswap episode our friend even got a letter from the producers acknowledging that many of the scenes were faked.  The son never yelled at the "other mom" they took a video of him repeating lines they had given him for an "acting scene"  and spliced it in, they asked the daughter to sit in a chair so they could film a q&a session and filmed her while she was waiting on it to start looking bored and spliced it into a different spot showing her looking like she was sitting alone in the garage while the father and son worked together, like she was being ignored.  Stuff like that. 

Reality TV is fake folks.  The producers create the drama.  One of my friends said it best back when the wifeswap episode came out: reality television reduces people to shrill stereotypes for the insecure to feel better about themselves.

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.