Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 4 of 13      Prev   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   Next   »
Twinkletoesx2

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #76 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacaranda
I really enjoyed Maddie's solo. I thought she did a fabulous job she seems like despite all the distractions she has contued to develop as a dancer.

I disagreed with Holly when she called out all the other parents. Yes, what Abby did was very wrong and awful. But Jill is right in saying there would have been zero point in trying to make Abby see that. For them to all stand up to her wasn't going to help matters in any way and it wasn't going to improve the way she treats Nia.

I would hope that if one of my fellow dance mom friends witnessed a DT or SO demeaning my dd that they would defend her. If they stick up for each other enough, it could change her behaviors. There was no reason for Abby to speak up and say anything negative about Nia other than pure spitefulness. They could send a message that they won't stand for that type of behavior.
Ellie'sMom

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #77 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkletoesx2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacaranda
I really enjoyed Maddie's solo. I thought she did a fabulous job she seems like despite all the distractions she has contued to develop as a dancer.

I disagreed with Holly when she called out all the other parents. Yes, what Abby did was very wrong and awful. But Jill is right in saying there would have been zero point in trying to make Abby see that. For them to all stand up to her wasn't going to help matters in any way and it wasn't going to improve the way she treats Nia.

I would hope that if one of my fellow dance mom friends witnessed a DT or SO demeaning my dd that they would defend her. If they stick up for each other enough, it could change her behaviors. There was no reason for Abby to speak up and say anything negative about Nia other than pure spitefulness. They could send a message that they won't stand for that type of behavior.

The thing that I am having trouble processing is that Abby is suddenly qualified to give notes on acting monologues. And with a supposedly renowned casting agent (or whatever they claimed to be). I loved how they dis--agreed with Abby's opinion on the way she read the lines.

And it's pretty obvious where this scrip is going; holly is going to go out in her own to try to get work for Nia, and Abby is going to say "I'M HER MANAGER", but will make no effort to find work for her. Holly will either pull Mia off the team, or Abby will throw her off.

The worst part about all this is that no one will want to work with any of these kids, if they continuity to associate themselves with Abby and the show. Just like agents and directors don't want to work with annoying parents (or kids) they don't want the dance teacher as part of the package.

And that JoJo. I remember she acted the same way during AUDC. if she can't listen or follow directions, and thinks she is supposed to be part of all adult conversations, her time in Hollywood will be very limited. I hope, for her sake, some of this is an act.
Ellie'sMom

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #78 
Oh, and can someone please clear this up for me (my dd does not dance in competitions, and my personal experience in this arena goes back a few years, lol). Do any of your kids actually learn a new dance, for each competitions three days before? Do you not know until you less than a week before that you are traveling out of state for a competition? New costumes each time, that may or may not be in (or even fit your child)? No tech/dress rehearsals to make sure the costume doesn't fall off or the veil doesn't cover your face? What about fees (assuming in this case the show is picking up the tab). I knew the age thing was bogus (that they didn't know they were in the teen category until they got there).

I remember the first "really expensive" costume I had to buy for a competition, we traveled literally across the country for. After my parents got up from off the floor, we learned that we'd be doing the dance (with said costume) a number of times at various competitions locally, as well as a number of recitals (the owner had three studios-all with separate and multiple recitals). My mom felt like we really got bang for our buck- less than $5 per wear (this was 25+ years ago!)
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #79 
The learning a new dance thing for a competition was the premise for this show and was created just for that purpose. Nothing else. Same with the "not knowing" where they are competing. That's for the cameras. 

sansha

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #80 
Re Nia, I heard that Nia is going to "do a Chloe" that is, leave the show at the end of the season, or perhaps before.  Holly is acting up a part to make the leaving more dramatic for the cameras.  Don't know if it's true and haven't been watching (other than when I fail to fast forward through the DM commercials when I am watching Child Genius), but it sounds plausible.  Whatever happens, Holly has blown her credibility for the rest of her life being on this train wreck this long. 
emmymom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #81 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sansha
Whatever happens, Holly has blown her credibility for the rest of her life being on this train wreck this long. 

I couldn't agree more!  I have to believe that professionally she is done!

I cannot for the life of me figure out why she has stuck around on this "show" for all this time.  She was signed to multi-year contract?  Nope, don't buy that one.  Nia loved dancing with her friends?  Really...

In the first year I thought she was the only mother with a brain in her head and with any integrity at all.  Now I have zero respect for her!

kr12

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #82 
Holly used to be respectable...she played the whole working professional mom well.  Then she left it all for this show.  I mean I can see if she left for other reasons as some moms do...but she always played the angle that she was working and the other moms were crazy for sitting at the studio all day.  I doubt there is any school that would hire her after seeing her on Dance Moms.

Nia seems to have a good head on her shoulders...but she is just barely in her teens.  Who knows that damage this may lead to?

Chloe seems to have gotten out of the contract and appears to be happy.  It is great seeing her dance again on her youttube videos (DD watches!).  Good for her, she really loves to dance. 
kmpmom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #83 
Quote:
Originally Posted by socalkdg
Who wants to watch a happy, touchy, feely show about dance.

Me.

I'd love to see a show about how great dance is for young girls, what it instills in them, how their dance teachers are often life coaches, how they learn incredibly important life skills while staying in shape, building friendships and learning how to conduct themselves under pressure.  

There used to be a show about the pageant world that did just that - Kim of Queens.  It was surprisingly inspirational, and it went off the air half way through it's second season without warning.  It's up to us to stand up for what WE really want to see, and not let the nattering ninnies with no sense drive the TV landscape.
My2DanceLoves

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #84 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmpmom
Quote:

Me.

I'd love to see a show about how great dance is for young girls, what it instills in them, how their dance teachers are often life coaches, how they learn incredibly important life skills while staying in shape, building friendships and learning how to conduct themselves under pressure.  

There used to be a show about the pageant world that did just that - Kim of Queens.  It was surprisingly inspirational, and it went off the air half way through it's second season without warning.  It's up to us to stand up for what WE really want to see, and not let the nattering ninnies with no sense drive the TV landscape.

Me too!   And I totally agree with your entire comment! 

There ARE great studio owners who honestly care for their students and who go above and beyond.  I get that a premise like that lacks the ugly drama of the DM franchise , but I think there are many who would love seeing a more heartfelt approach to teaching dance.  And it DOES exist.  Heck , any show about dance that at least depicted 50% truth , rather than the 99% made up drama that DM's provides would be welcome by my standards.

HEY HALLMARK CHANNEL!!!  ARE YA LISTENING??!!!  [smile]

Ellie'sMom

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #85 
Quote:
Quote:

Me.

My dad and I enjoyed Kim of Queens. Although i took it with a grain of salt (after seeing all the fake reality on DM), but at least Kim wasn't a complete psycho. She really enjoyed working with the girls, and they were the focus, not their moms.

Was t there a show about dance, that was more of a documentary? Maybe around the time DM came out, around the time of Bunheads? I saw a few episodes of something, I remember teens/young adults, maybe a relationship thrown in between two dancers. it was much less dynamic, slower-paced.
Ellie'sMom

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #86 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellie'sMom
Quote:
Quote:

Me.

ME TOO! There are so many kids that enjoy the art, and the stories about the pursuit of success. My dd listens to video interviews and podcasts ad nauseum about Broadway stars. I think it's great for her to hear their stories and stuggles to stardom. They are often funny, with little to no 'real housewives of Pittsburgh' nonsense.

My DD and I enjoyed Kim of Queens. Although i took it with a grain of salt (after seeing all the fake reality on DM), but at least Kim wasn't a complete psycho. She really enjoyed working with the girls, and they were the focus, not their moms.

Was t there a show about dance, that was more of a documentary? Maybe around the time DM came out, around the time of Bunheads? I saw a few episodes of something, I remember teens/young adults, maybe a relationship thrown in between two dancers. it was much less dynamic, slower-paced.
Ellie'sMom

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #87 
Quote:

Whatever happens, Holly has blown her credibility for the rest of her life being on this train wreck this long;

I agree completely. I used to admire her, since I am in the academic world, and have to work (like many Other moms). It made me think, I guess Abby understands that not every mom can sit there for hours on end while their kids dance. While I love to see my child perfom, I have my own life to tend to.

I hope they have a lot of money saved up, because (although the I really like Nia) I don't see her start rising that high post-DM that her family can live off her success. No one in the acedemic world (especially in primary education) would take a chance on having her represent their institution.
Ellie'sMom

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #88 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellie'sMom
Quote:

Whatever happens, Holly has blown her credibility for the rest of her life being on this train wreck this long;

I agree completely. I used to admire her, since I am in the academic world, and have to work (like many Other moms). It made me think, I guess Abby understands that not every mom can sit there for hours on end while their kids dance. While I love to see my child perfom, I have my own life to tend to.

I hope they have a lot of money saved up, because (although the I really like Nia) I don't see her star rising that high post-DM that her family can live off her success. No one in the acedemic world (especially in primary education) would take a chance on having her represent their institution.
socalkdg

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #89 
Quote:
Whatever happens, Holly has blown her credibility for the rest of her life being on this train wreck this long. 

Is that really the case?  Is the show a reality show, or is it a scripted show?  I know its "supposed to be" a reality show, but based on my very limited experience during the live filming it doesn't feel like a reality show.

Is each person involved playing a persona, thus "acting"?  If so, then its very possible future work could be available for some of them since they already have experience in front of the camera?  Maybe they are actually easy to work with, nice in person, and have many people convinced they are horrible.

When hundreds of hours of filming takes place and we see 30 minutes of it, what are we really getting?  What ever story the director wants us to see. 
socalkdg

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #90 
Quote:
Quote:

Me.

There used to be a show about the pageant world that did just that - Kim of Queens.  It was surprisingly inspirational, and it went off the air half way through it's second season without warning.  It's up to us to stand up for what WE really want to see, and not let the nattering ninnies with no sense drive the TV landscape.[/QUOTE

I completely agree with you, but our society seems to like to watch train wrecks.  I've never let my DD watch an episode, nor have I.  We will watch the one that we saw the filming at just so she can gain some knowledge of what real life and tv life are like and how different tv can make things seem.  
beachgirl

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #91 
The ALDC is on the competition schedule for Jump Pittsburgh next weekend. Mackenzie and Sarah are competing as minis (10 & Under), Maddie and Kendall as Juniors (11-12), Nia as Teen, and Peyton as Senior. They have quite a few group dances as well. I don't know how much competition they will have because it looks like they
have fewer numbers than other cities but it will still be interesting to view the results. Wish I could catch some of the live stream but it begins before I get home from work.
kt923

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #92 
For anyone interested, here's Kalani's solo from this week's episode that tied Maddie but was never mentioned: 
gymmommy71

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #93 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kt923
For anyone interested, here's Kalani's solo from this week's episode that tied Maddie but was never mentioned: 

Omg - what in the world do they have her wearing?!? She's 14 years old, not 8 - that costume is ridiculous and so is whatever they did to her hair! The whole get up makes her look overweight and it really distracts from her beautiful dancing! My bet is Kira freaked out about how awful the costuming was that she threatened to leave if they showed that on the show. Kalani is so much above this show - I don't get why Kira is having her do this.

They were clearly sabatoging her so that Maddie would beat her IMO.
ggsmith

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #94 
Its a cheap version of Brooke's Garden of Eden: 

gymmommy71

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #95 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggsmith
Its a cheap version of Brooke's Garden of Eden: 

Brooke's costume fit her and looked beautiful - that thing they had Kalani in looked like the took the base of the Brooke costume, got a size 2 sizes bigger than what Kalani needed, and then glued about 25 shredded up t shirts to the most unflattering places possible - and then they took a clown wig and attached it to her head and put it in a pony tail. So awful - ugh. My eyes just need to unsee that costume cause it's wrecking my image of Kalani as I've always thought she was amazing.

I'm really surpksed that routine got a perfect score - I would have gave it a 1 out of 5 for the costume score so it would have been at most a 296.
jwsqrdplus2

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #96 
Costume aside (and I agree it was awful), that dance would not have received a perfect score around here!  It would have scored well, and probably would have been in the top 5, but not a perfect score!
dancypants

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #97 
That is a really bad costume. Like, so bad. It makes the statuesque and lovely Kalani look almost dumpy- it's that bad.

Bad, bad, bad.
Twinkletoesx2

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #98 
I liked Kalani's solo. I think she is so graceful and controlled and her expressions were very pretty. I've seen many similar "garden of eden" type costumes. More green, less nude might have been better and do away with all the shredded green stuff on her posterior. I believe they only take points off for costumes if they are inappropriate or irrelevant to the dance.
Mittenmom3

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #99 
Wow! Yes my first thought before I even played the video was what's up with that costume? It fit the theme, but so unflattering for her. I just love kalanis extension and feet though. I'm disappointed she came back to the show.
Tapntwirl

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #100 
I think when we see the whispering of other studio directors, audience members and dance teachers it's not meant to be bratty. The competitions are set up to bring the best (or most willing) studios to dance against the ALDC. Studios don't enter the comp to get great scores, they enter to beat the ALDC! So there is a lot of seriousness and attention paid to the details in the ALDC dances.
I agree that Holly's attitude is a plot line. She is probably ready to leave the show. I am always impressed with how composed Nia stays when things get crazy. She is very mature for her age.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation: