Register Calendar Latest Topics
 
 
 


Reply
  Author   Comment  
Phx115

High Gold Member
Registered:
Posts: 768
Reply with quote  #1 
Is anyone else seeing an increase in studios forming what they are calling Preprofessional programs?

Three well-regarded ballet studios in SE Michigan are advertising auditions for a prepro track. These are daytime programs that will be affiliated with online schools.

DD's studio started one this past year for advanced students and is opening up auditions for intermediate-level students.

I'm just curious if this is a trend elsewhere.
0
ballerinamom13

Avatar / Picture

Platinum Member
Registered:
Posts: 1,826
Reply with quote  #2 
I'm not sure in our area because dd has been gone so long.  I do know the school where she trained has had a daytime prepro track for at least 6 years and they had to turn people away this year.  But...the school system in AZ is horrendous and so many people home school because of that, regardless of the activities the kids are participating in.  I do think that does allow kids to take part in the day time classes more here.  That's just a guess. I haven't followed what any other studios are doing here since dd moved away.  
0
dancingpeanut

Platinum Member
Registered:
Posts: 1,498
Reply with quote  #3 
There is one I know of in our area that has a musical theater focus, and has had quite a few success stories with students getting Broadway shows and national tours. It is a fully accredited academic program for students in grades 6-12 along with intensive dance and music classes. It starts at around $20,000 a year. They also have a more traditional program without the academic portion, if we werent at the studio we are at, it would be where DD would go, she has several friends there and their training is excellent. One benefit of their full time program is that they offer flexibility for students who get professional jobs and help them navigate balancing education and their young careers.
0
meatball77

Avatar / Picture

High Platinum Member
Registered:
Posts: 4,662
Reply with quote  #4 
I'm not a fan of the trend because there are more kids who are being led to believe that they have what it takes to make it and are giving up traditional schooling at a very young age when they may not actually have the potential (more kids being accepted and the same or less number of paying jobs).  I do think it's great for kids who don't have to go away from home to find a full time program, but it's drasically different than 10-15 years ago when admission to one of those programs meant that you had what it takes to make it in the professional world.

I'll also say that not every program is created equally.  My daughter's friend is in a program where she's not really receiving much extra for that daytime portion.  Just company class and rehearsal for performances and then she's in the same classes as other kids her age in the evening.  No extra genres or conditioning.  
0
Phx115

High Gold Member
Registered:
Posts: 768
Reply with quote  #5 
Quote:
Originally Posted by meatball77
I'm not a fan of the trend because there are more kids who are being led to believe that they have what it takes to make it and are giving up traditional schooling at a very young age when they may not actually have the potential (more kids being accepted and the same or less number of paying jobs).  I do think it's great for kids who don't have to go away from home to find a full time program, but it's drasically different than 10-15 years ago when admission to one of those programs meant that you had what it takes to make it in the professional world.

I'll also say that not every program is created equally.  My daughter's friend is in a program where she's not really receiving much extra for that daytime portion.  Just company class and rehearsal for performances and then she's in the same classes as other kids her age in the evening.  No extra genres or conditioning.  


Your concerns are mine, too. Is it going to be a money grab, or will they be super selective? I suppose it could be both.

I'm watching DD's studio closely to see what the standards will be, especially for the intermediate level.

The advanced program running has about 5-6 in it, and I'd say 3-4 of them have potential.
0
emmymom

Avatar / Picture

High Platinum Member
Registered:
Posts: 3,538
Reply with quote  #6 
What studios are going to offer this?  Even though I have no personal interest in this, I would be curious to know.  

Off the top of my head, I can think of only one ballet studio in the metropolitan area that I feel would truly have potential to create a pre-pro program that would likely train at a significantly higher level with daytime training/online school program.  

I'm with Meatball and her assessment of such programs.
0
Phx115

High Gold Member
Registered:
Posts: 768
Reply with quote  #7 
Quote:
Originally Posted by emmymom
What studios are going to offer this?  Even though I have no personal interest in this, I would be curious to know.  

Off the top of my head, I can think of only one ballet studio in the metropolitan area that I feel would truly have potential to create a pre-pro program that would likely train at a significantly higher level with daytime training/online school program.  

I'm with Meatball and her assessment of such programs.


I'll PM you emmymom.
0
emmymom

Avatar / Picture

High Platinum Member
Registered:
Posts: 3,538
Reply with quote  #8 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phx115


I'll PM you emmymom.


Thank you Phx115!
0
PasDeChatMom

High Silver Member
Registered:
Posts: 233
Reply with quote  #9 
Without doing any research, I know of 4 ballet pre-pro programs with afternoon classes in our metropolitan area. One is affiliated with a local brick & mortar charter school and the professional ballet company in our area. A second one is affiliated with a local brick & mortar public school and is not affiliated with a professional company but has a partnership with Kirov Academy in DC. Another has no official school affiliation but has a budding professional company attached and the fourth one is not affiliated with a school or a company.

There may be more, these are just the ones I'm aware of through personal relationships (either my friends or my daughter's friends).

0
momcrew

High Gold Member
Registered:
Posts: 624
Reply with quote  #10 
Quote:
Originally Posted by emmymom
What studios are going to offer this?  Even though I have no personal interest in this, I would be curious to know.  

Off the top of my head, I can think of only one ballet studio in the metropolitan area that I feel would truly have potential to create a pre-pro program that would likely train at a significantly higher level with daytime training/online school program.  

I'm with Meatball and her assessment of such programs.


I know Ballet Detroit and Academy of Classical Russian Ballet offer full time training programs. 
0
dancermom128

High Platinum Member
Registered:
Posts: 3,639
Reply with quote  #11 
Offering a pre pro track to intermediate dancers make zero sense to me. If you're an intermediate dancer how on earth would you make it as a professional?
0
Phx115

High Gold Member
Registered:
Posts: 768
Reply with quote  #12 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dancermom128
Offering a pre pro track to intermediate dancers make zero sense to me. If you're an intermediate dancer how on earth would you make it as a professional?


I understand your point, hence my uncertainty about these programs, but the students that start at NBS or Royal Winnipeg in grade 6 aren't advanced either. Those schools are pre pro if there ever were any.

From the information I can find, the intermediate level is for the 9-11 age range. The consensus on these boards is that a 10-yr-old would not be considered advanced in the ballet world. Then again, maybe not?

I THINK these programs, besides being a source of income, are supposed to be a version of what other countries offer: Daily ballet training, conditioning, etc., plus academics.

I'll be curious to see how these programs fare.
0
meatball77

Avatar / Picture

High Platinum Member
Registered:
Posts: 4,662
Reply with quote  #13 
In the ballet world an intermediate dancer is generally 11+ (one plus years on pointe) while advanced dancers are 14+ (very strong on pointe).  It's not like in the comp dance world where you are advanced at 9 (and really, not advanced at nine just advanced compared to other nine year olds).
0
Rushhourmom

High Bronze Member
Registered:
Posts: 48
Reply with quote  #14 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phx115


I'm just curious if this is a trend elsewhere.


Yes I'm seeing this and also hearing about it from friends in other states. I haven't seen the daytime programs spring up. And I'm seeing it at comp studios that aren't even previously ballet focused.
0
Mitzy

High Platinum Member
Registered:
Posts: 2,604
Reply with quote  #15 
Yes, this has been a trend in Canada for at least 5 years. I'm sure it's a great thing for some people, but tred with caution. Remember, the true prepro schools offer scholarships which indicate real potential. And not all graduates of these schools find employment.
0
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print
Reply

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.