Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
Sprmom2679

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #1 
Wondering if anyone went this weekend to the first one and how you liked it? Is it the same as Adrenaline or are there any differences other than the name? Looked like it was going to be really small so the convention piece was probably nice and spacious! How were the new teachers? Did they run the auditions the same as Adrenaline, etc.
dmjrm4

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #2 
We go on February 10-12 so would love to hear any answers to these questions!  They booked the biggest dance venue in Denver, we got the schedule and it seems small.  I can't imagine having plenty of space to dance at a Denver convention!
rmarti123

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #3 
No help in answering any of your questions, but I was thinking of signing my DD11 up for the Michigan dates and was wondering some of the same questions. [wink]
Sprmom2679

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #4 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmjrm4
We go on February 10-12 so would love to hear any answers to these questions!  They booked the biggest dance venue in Denver, we got the schedule and it seems small.  I can't imagine having plenty of space to dance at a Denver convention!

I checked out the Denver schedule and it isn't much bigger than the Phoenix one, but it does look like you will have a larger number of studios competing. In Phoenix, all the mini dances were from just 2 studios and the whole junior category was just 4 studios. For Phoenix that is really small. The upside is, the convention piece won't be so crowded and would be a good learning environment for the kids.

Let me know if you think the convention piece is worth traveling for after you attend this weekend.

If anyone attended Phoenix, let us know how it was!
Twinkletoesx2

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #5 
It is a sister comp to Adrenaline and will share a nationals (2 locations) with Adrenaline. It seems to be run pretty similar to Adrenaline and a bunch of the teachers also teach or taught at Adrenaline. I'm sure it will take time for the word to get out and build up clients. I'm all for it. Maybe more good conventions will make for more manageable conventions all around.
jwsqrdplus2

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #6 
I did not attend Phoenix, but the studios that did also seem to attend Adrenaline.
SSminimom

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #7 
My daughter went to Revive. She enjoyed it. I thought the workshops were all very good. We've never done Adrenaline but heard from others it was exactly the same.
dmjrm4

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #8 
We just finished Revive competition and convention.  It was great!  The classes were an hour long, rather than 45 minutes and my DD liked that.  The faculty and classes were all good.  We were extra impressed that the faculty, including Jen Freeman, took classes with the students to continue to improve themselves.  The teachers did very few "pull-out" groups during class with the exception of Tap and Musical Theater.  My DD loves being pulled out, so that is a negative in her book.  The Teen/Senior auditions were for Contemporary and Musical Theater.  They also offered four "pre" classes before convention started, and we always appreciate that extra instruction.  I didn't go but they offered a "Prevention of Dance Injuries" class for parents, and we thought that was classy.  I was surprised that the Teen/Senior room still had 200 kids in it, I thought since this was the first year of Revive it would be smaller.  Never our lot at Denver conventions!  My DD got a nice scholarship, so we were thrilled and will go back.
Twinkletoesx2

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #9 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmjrm4
We just finished Revive competition and convention.  It was great!  The classes were an hour long, rather than 45 minutes and my DD liked that.  The faculty and classes were all good.  We were extra impressed that the faculty, including Jen Freeman, took classes with the students to continue to improve themselves.  The teachers did very few "pull-out" groups during class with the exception of Tap and Musical Theater.  My DD loves being pulled out, so that is a negative in her book.  The Teen/Senior auditions were for Contemporary and Musical Theater.  They also offered four "pre" classes before convention started, and we always appreciate that extra instruction.  I didn't go but they offered a "Prevention of Dance Injuries" class for parents, and we thought that was classy.  I was surprised that the Teen/Senior room still had 200 kids in it, I thought since this was the first year of Revive it would be smaller.  Never our lot at Denver conventions!  My DD got a nice scholarship, so we were thrilled and will go back.

Thanks for reporting back. I think since it is the sister comp to Adrenaline they will get a lot of the same clients. They have a joint nationals like the BTF conventions do.A few teachers went from Adrenaline to Revive.
Sprmom2679

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #10 
It looks like some of the teachers are teaching back and forth at both Adrenaline and Revive so it looks like pretty much the same thing.  I did hear that Revive flipped the schedule around and does the comps first then classes and auditions in the evenings.  Sounds like a good idea, so we had to try it. 

They seem to have some of the same kids traveling around with them to many cities.  There is one studio that I know of that will be doing their nationals and that studio has some of the adrenaline/revive teachers on their staff as teachers and uses the adrenaline/revive staff to do their group choreography and some of their solos so nationals may not be worth it, but the conventions are a good experience.

Bubbasmom

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #11 
Hi. Bumping this up to see if anyone has been to Revive this season? If so, is it pretty much the same as has been discussed so far? Thanks!
Sprmom2679

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #12 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbasmom
Hi. Bumping this up to see if anyone has been to Revive this season? If so, is it pretty much the same as has been discussed so far? Thanks!

Worse - the favoritism to the studios who hire their teachers for choreography and in studio master classes, etc. is so obvious and in your face I honestly don't know why anyone would do this one twice.  I have even heard that there are multiple "favorite" studios doing the same dance with the same song and the same costumes, across different towns, or between Revive and Adrenaline and simultaneously being chosen as the faculty favorite.  If you just want class and don't care about competition or scholarships then it should be fine, otherwise I wouldn't waste your money.
kyrical2

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #13 
True.  And students in class are caled out by name, even though they are ID'd by number.  Teachers have favorites, and it is obvious.  Classes are good, but they reward who they know.  Once, a dancer was sitting on the floor due to injury and won crew.  They didn't even dance!  hahahha
Sprmom2679

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #14 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyrical2
True.  And students in class are caled out by name, even though they are ID'd by number.  Teachers have favorites, and it is obvious.  Classes are good, but they reward who they know.  Once, a dancer was sitting on the floor due to injury and won crew.  They didn't even dance!  hahahha

Yep!  We used to be with one of the "favorite" studios and they go to multiple cities of Revive and Adrenaline and do their nationals.  By the time they get to Nationals most of the team is on scholarship, a crew member, or half price for some reason.  While my kid did enjoy their classes, I wont ever go again knowing that most full price kids are just paying for those favorites to go on a discount.  We were a crew member once and did their nationals once and it was not a pleasant experience.  There are so many others out there, we choose to go elsewhere.  The year we went to nationals, the Mr. Mini Adrenaline won because he was the only boy and the year before there were only 2 boys.  
Bubbasmom

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #15 
Oh no. Thank you for the information. There happens to be a faculty member who teaches at one of the big studios that will be there. Soooo disappointed!
dncemom01

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #16 
Quote:
Oh no. Thank you for the information. There happens to be a faculty member who teaches at one of the big studios that will be there. Soooo disappointed!

That is not always the case. One of the revive faculty comes to our studio every couple of months and she choreographed one of our soloists. That soloist didn’t even place at the comp and only one of our dancers (who has gotten scholarships every where this season) got any recognition.
Sprmom2679

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #17 
Go read the Revive reviews on Dance competition hub. There are many that say the same thing so it appears to be a widespread obvious issue.
Bubbasmom

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #18 
Oh wow. Yeah, those reviews were brutal. It looks as if they check the reviews periodically so maybe they are aware of the problem. I hope so and I will certainly be paying close attention when we attend. Thank you so much for the heads up!
Sprmom2679

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #19 
Quote:
Oh wow. Yeah, those reviews were brutal. It looks as if they check the reviews periodically so maybe they are aware of the problem. I hope so and I will certainly be paying close attention when we attend. Thank you so much for the heads up!

What city are you attending?
Bubbasmom

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #20 
Chicago
Sprmom2679

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #21 
Quote:
Chicago

Let us know how it goes.
lotsofdancers

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #22 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyrical2

yep..this was our experience as well. HH is the worst offender of this. She only called back the kids she had worked with..all by their names, not their numbers.

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.