Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
MimisMom

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #1 
We are going to be reusing the costumes for DD’’s trio. From your experience what is a fair amount to pay to the other mom? Do you usually keep it or give back after?
kmpmom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #2 
That all depends on the original price they paid, and what you realistically are going to do with it yourself.

A few seasons ago we were able to resell 3 of DD's costumes to a dance family that had left our studio and who were going to independent comps and needed costumes.  The original prices on the costumes were between $250 - $300.  We sold them for $75 each.  They'd been worn for a full season already and were beginning to show the wear and tear.  And realistically, what was I going to do with them?  They'd just be hanging in our basement ...still...to this day.  So I put the $225 towards the current season's costumes and called it a day.

My advice would be to assume the original price is cut in half as a starting point, and then give the costumes a good once-over.  Will they make it through an entire second season without needing repair?  Are all the stones still in place?  Are the accessories in good shape (gloves, hair pieces, etc.)? Are you going to need to do any tailoring?  How much is it going to cost you to buy new?
2dornot2d

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #3 

It depends what kind of costumes they are. We usually buy/sell after the season. I've had one mom who wouldn't sell a costume from 2 years ago, which had visible signs of wear and tear. She would let me rent for $75 so I said no. 

Our custom made costumes are $250. I've seen people listing them for $100-150. Some moms have sold them for $75. They just want to get rid of their costumes.

For a catalog costume with some stones, I've paid around $100-150. I don't think I can sell them even for $50.

jackilvsmath

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #4 
We re-use a lot of costumes from year to year.  Ours are all custom made.  The studio policy is, for a re-used group costume, you pay 1/3 the original cost plus the cost of stones.  For solo costumes people negotiate individually.

my2miracles

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #5 
Honestly if the studio is requiring this, they should be the ones making the deals for the costumes.  I'd be upset if I was expected to broker my own deal in this case.

NCKDAD

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #6 
We reused last year. A few girls originally in the dance and then a few girls. The original girls either kept their costumes or passed it to someone smaller and then the 3 who still needed got from another. Studio just asked and a few sent in who were similar size. When all was said and done the ones who gave their costumes to use got a little credit to their accounts I think and the ones who were new to that costume paid a very minimal fee too. No money was made really but a lot of costuming time and effort and money with that was saved- lol

It depends- a lot of costumes especially groups I’d be thrilled to pass on. And I like to help others save or whatever. It’s expensive and it’s taking up space with no
Use in my house. There are a few costumes the girls seem attached too so maybe they wouldn’t let me pass on those. Lol
LittleMonkeyMom

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #7 
Our studio has a policy that you pay a flat $100 rental fee if you borrow a costume from someone. 

We've actually never had someone sell a costume within the studio, but we are a smaller studio & I would assume that the DT would suggest a price & help everyone come to a fair agreement.
Mama2aHappyDancer

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #8 
We did this last year. The studio handled the details. 
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #9 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleMonkeyMom
Our studio has a policy that you pay a flat $100 rental fee if you borrow a costume from someone. 

We've actually never had someone sell a costume within the studio, but we are a smaller studio & I would assume that the DT would suggest a price & help everyone come to a fair agreement.

100 dollar RENTAL fee????  Please tell me this is for super expensive custom costumes? 

The overwhelming majority of my dd's costumes during her comp days didn't even cost $100.  She's even had great looking, quality costumes that cost us less than 50 bucks.  I'd like to think that if I had a costume that dd wasn't going to use anymore.. just hanging in her closet... I'd just loan it out to a fellow dance mom for free.  People have done it for us.  It's nice when people are willing to just help each other out. 

That said maybe I'm just scarred by dd's previous ballet teacher who would charge dancers 20 dollars to borrow a tiara to wear onstage for a 2 minute variation. Just left such a bad taste in my mouth.  I don't want to be "that" person  lol   

MimisMom

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #10 
Quote:
Originally Posted by heidi459

100 dollar RENTAL fee????  Please tell me this is for super expensive custom costumes? 

The overwhelming majority of my dd's costumes during her comp days didn't even cost $100.  She's even had great looking, quality costumes that cost us less than 50 bucks.  I'd like to think that if I had a costume that dd wasn't going to use anymore.. just hanging in her closet... I'd just loan it out for free.  People have done it for us.  It's nice when people are willing to just help each other out. 

That said maybe I'm just scarred by dd's previous ballet teacher who would charge dancers 20 dollars to borrow a tiara to wear onstage for a 2 minute variation. Just left such a bad taste in my mouth.  I don't want to be "that" person  lol   

Oh I wish. I’m in Canada and our costumes cost between $200-$400. Depending if it’s ordered or custom made and how many stones are glued on. It would be lovely if people would just loan out but in reality if I paid $400 for a costume, I would like to make some money back for it. Especially since it’s just sitting in the closet. We’ve actually agreed with the other moms that they would sell it for $150. I’m ok with it because it’s still cheaper than having one made for $300-$400.
emmymom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #11 
I can't tell you how many $200 and up custom costumes I've handed over to people to have their DDs use.  Yes, I've sold some (outside of my DD's studio), but I've handed over far more than I've  sold. 

In your case, I'd simply hand you the costume and if you returned it to me after, great, if not, oh well.  If you gave DD a gift card for allowing its use, great too, but that wouldn't be expected either.  It was doing me no good whatsoever simply hanging in a basement closet after DD used it anyway.
MimisMom

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #12 
Quote:
Originally Posted by emmymom
I can't tell you how many $200 and up custom costumes I've handed over to people to have their DDs use.  Yes, I've sold some (outside of my DD's studio), but I've handed over far more than I've  sold. 

In your case, I'd simply hand you the costume and if you returned it to me after, great, if not, oh well.  If you gave DD a gift card for allowing its use, great too, but that wouldn't be expected either.  It was doing me no good whatsoever simply hanging in a basement closet after DD used it anyway.

That is really nice of you.
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #13 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MimisMom
Oh I wish. I’m in Canada and our costumes cost between $200-$400. Depending if it’s ordered or custom made and how many stones are glued on. It would be lovely if people would just loan out but in reality if I paid $400 for a costume, I would like to make some money back for it. Especially since it’s just sitting in the closet. We’ve actually agreed with the other moms that they would sell it for $150. I’m ok with it because it’s still cheaper than having one made for $300-$400.

Yeah.. I certainly wasn't suggesting that anyone would want to give away an expensive custom costume for free.  I like the idea of loaning because you never know if your dancer might want to use it again (dd has done that). But I can understand preferring to sell a higher end custom costume.  Who wouldn't want to get at least some of that money back?  I'll be honest, it hurts my pocketbook when I hear how much money some of you spend on costumes.  I'm cheap :-)

my2miracles

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #14 
Quote:
Originally Posted by heidi459

The overwhelming majority of my dd's costumes during her comp days didn't even cost $100.  She's even had great looking, quality costumes that cost us less than 50 bucks.  I'd like to think that if I had a costume that dd wasn't going to use anymore.. just hanging in her closet... I'd just loan it out to a fellow dance mom for free.  People have done it for us.  It's nice when people are willing to just help each other out. 

I had the same thought.  Last year I actually donated some of DD's costumes she wore at her old studio to the new studio.  She had long out grown them and had negative connotations about the old studio so we had no use for them.  It was great to see one of the younger girls wear one of the costumes.  We knew her family was struggling with money so if felt great to quietly, behind the scenes help (she had no idea where the costume came from - dd never said a thing).

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.