Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 2      1   2   Next
Emmie46

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #1 
Does your studio repeat dance routines for a second or third year? Sometimes there are new dancers and choreography but not always. Just wondering if that is done often.
Marie123

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #2 
We are at a very large competition studio and we do not repeat routines.
JojosDanceMom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #3 
DD's first studio repeated solos and duos for two seasons.  DD's home studio does not repeat any routines.
hsealover

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #4 
We've been to three studios. The first studio was a non-competition/recreational studio. They reused routines for many years. Second studio was a highly competitive studio, never reused a full routine, just parts of choreography. Third and current studio has reused dances a couple times, but none of DD's dances have been one of them. They are an extremely small studio, mostly just a company.
rubydancemom

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #5 
Yes. It is done often at our studio, not just for comp. Last year at recital I saw the exact combo class dances DD did just 2 years earlier. One of our comp dances last year was a recycle. The more I watched, I realized many rec class dances were repeats. One of our comp dances this year was the contemporary dance for 2-3 classes last year, and another is a recycled concept from years ago. 
prancer

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #6 
No neither studio we have been at reuses choreo for team/company members.  I really cannot comment on rec classes.
dave9988

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #7 
For competitions, yes, some percentage of dances are reprised at a competition the following year.  In a way it relieves the burden to create and teach so many dances that would be hardly ever used - we typically only compete at one event per year.  The dancers may change (age reasons, graduations, kids new to the studio, etc), the number of dancers in a piece may change, and of course there are the inevitable tweaks to choreo.  But it's the same dance.  We've come to enjoy it, actually, every year brings a mix of new and old. 

ETA: Third year, no, never.

For end of year final demonstrations (recital), no.
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #8 
The comp school DD once attended did occasionally repeat a number for a second year by the same group. It's a very large school with 3 locations. Numbers done by a company group one year might be done by a noncomp class another year. They also do these amazing a capella tap numbers. Those do get recycled every few years. My sister was telling me about one of them and I was able to finish her description as the piece had been done about 10 years prior when DD was there. We saw the same thing at the recital with a slightly updated version of a comp dance dd was in, also 10 years before.
dancemom7777

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #9 
My dancer is at a large studio and, despite so many dancers on the competition team, everyone learns new choreography every year. I would not pay for her to be at a studio where routines are repeated unless it is something like a Nutcracker performance.
Beccasmom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #10 
I have never seen it done at our studio. Personally, I think the girls would be bored with it the second year.
dancindaughter

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #11 
Typically our production number is used for 2 years.  Other dances do not repeat.  We have however, reprised old dances a few years later with new dancers and updated choreography a few times.
elastigal

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #12 
For competition sometimes. I know a girl last year that did the same solo 2 years in a row. One of the group dances from last year was one they pulled from the archives so to speak, they had done it 6 or 7 years before and decided to do it again last year with a younger group of dancers (routine did very well at comps). 
rdsmom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #13 
We've been with the same studio for 8 years, all of them competitive. The SO has recently reused a few songs, but had entirely different choreo, props, costumes, etc. She just really likes Prince...[cool] And we had one DT who reused a song, but it was done with a previous teacher as a line a few years ago before this teacher joined our studio. It was a small group and totally different the second time she did it. 
jwsqrdplus2

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #14 
We have a few who keep solos for 2 years and/or have 2 solos with 1 in its 2nd year and 1 in its first year every year.

Ash kept a trio for 2 years once, but it only got to compete once the first year, so they kept it together another year, and increased the difficulty.

A local studio has all of its dances on a 2-year cycle.  They attend nationals every other year, so they keep routines for 2 years, then start over again after nationals.

What I tend to see more commonly is studios recycling dances.  Meaning, a group of minis did XYZ dance in 2010.  In 2016, the studio decided to "recycle" XYZ using the exact same music/choreo/costuming with a different group of minis.

Our current studio has not repeated or recycled any dances (except the occasional solos) thus far, but they are only in their 3rd year of existence!
amandafarris03

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #15 
if we go to nationals the year before and we have a routine that got a lot of attention then we will bring it back to regionals the next season and then to nationals.  at a studio I was at before they had an anniversary recital where they brought back favorite dances from previous seasons.
DanceForFun

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #16 
We have been at two studios and never had dances repeated other than at anniversary recitals as Amanda mentioned.
tappinmom

Double Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #17 
First studio would reuse songs every 5 years or so but with a different group of kids and different concept.

Second studio would sometimes use a productions twice.  First year it would only be performed a the recital and the second year it would be restructured for comp.  It took so much work to put together a full song and dance production with all disciplines included that they wanted to have the extra time to get it perfect.
Suzit42

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #18 
Very rarely do we reuse dances. DDs team did one dance two years in a row, the second year with new costumes. The original costumes definitely are in the Hall of Shame for bad costumes. Once we used the same costumes for different choreo and music. Another time, we reused a prop and music but had new, much better, choreo and costumes that didn't shed teeny tiny beads everywhere.

This year, DD is competing her solo from last year for title at a few comps. We did have to get a new costume as DD grew out of the old one. Nobody asked me if I approved this. I'm just the check writer. I've never entered DD in title, it's never been my thing. Our studio is on its fifth year. DD is the first one to ever keep a prior solo to compete again. I do feel a little uncomfortable about it. IMHO, it's not really fair to her teammates who have new solos. DD does have a new solo as well.
Jerseyboymom

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #19 
Never. The kids are bored enough after one year. Some DTs have repeated a song or part of a dance they may have used years before, but never the same exact routine consecutively with the same kids.
JulieDB

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #20 
Our studio in NY repeated all of the recital pieces, year after year. This is what I was told. Parents who had more than one kid there, quickly got sick of seeing them.

I wouldn't have noticed this except that I viewed a really old recital video. Our studio here did somewhat repeat things for the really little ones except that there were quite a few years between times. Only thing I can say for sure are that the props and costumes were similar. Same song. May not have been the exact choreo.
melissa745

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #21 
We never reuse dances.

Every few years, they may repeat a piece of music that had been used before, but with totally different kids, costume, and concept. But that's about it.
my2miracles

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #22 
DD's former studio did but it was YEARS in between and only for production dances.  Like her 1st year, the outgoing senior in the dance did the dance when she had just joined the team at 9.  DD's current studio is too new to have anything to re-use but I'm trying to get then to compete a quartet that dd is in next year.  It's gorgeous and the girls are only competing it at 2 competitions and then dancing it at recital.
NCKDAD

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #23 
When my older DD was 6 she had 2 small groups that they competed once (precompany). The following year at 7 they competed those dances again but at 4 competitions as petite company... with 2 other dances with older dancers. The dances were made slightly more difficult but i can assure you none of us can tolerate hearing those songs to this day (she is 11 now, lol)

In the past some dancers have repeated solos. I can't imagine my girls doing that because by the time the summer rolls around they are ready for more challenging, fresh choreography. They have grown so much as dancers. 

Occasionally she will reuse a song, but usually for a group of a different size and after a few years. 
jjjgirls

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #24 
No repeats. Our kids get new choreography every year.
Dancingemu

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #25 
We've had it happen and it peeves me to no end. It doesn't benefit the dancers at all. It's usually just to get another high score and studio bragging rights. It's just lazy imo to not change the choreo at least 50%. I get reusing songs though since in theory they are supposed to be paying for use (though most studios don't seem to care).
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation: