Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 2      1   2   Next
PrimaMomma

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #1 
Does anyone else have studios that have rehersals that last until 11:00pm on a weeknight?

Does anyone else see this as excessively late when there are minis who have to get up for school the next day, or is this something your studios do too???
joriebelle

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #2 
That's crazy.  Our studio lets out at 9:30 but we live 45 minutes away and sometimes the carpool is late and my DD gets home at 11:15 pm. . . 
mic123

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #3 
Wow, that's late!  9pm is the latest for us.
dancer1234

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #4 
yes it has happened... But generally during Nutcracker dress at the theater and that was during semester finals week at school.   The SO wised up and would run out of order, so the dancers with the youngest would be run early  and then leaving just the principals to rehearse late.    For recital, we were typically out of school and would go late.

Most classes would end at 9 or 9:30 on any given week.
kmpmom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #5 
9:30 is our normal end time, but some s/d/t will go to 10pm.  Never past that.
Taar0309

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #6 
Happened to us once... Right before a competition the teacher decided to run a new dance and lasted until 10:45. Hasn't happened again. So not common but has happened.
dancingpeanut

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #7 
Never. Classes end at 9, very occasionally DD has stayed till 9:15, but rarely and only the oldest dancers (16+).
hsealover

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #8 
DD was never at the studio past 10:00pm on weekdays. Usually, her latest class was until 9:30pm.
HTownDanceMom

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #9 
That is insane!  Our studio's last class let's out at 9 pm and some privates start and go until 10 pm; 11 pm seem excessive unless it's a private time that was chosen by you.
PrimaMomma

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #10 
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTownDanceMom
That is insane!  Our studio's last class let's out at 9 pm and some privates start and go until 10 pm; 11 pm seem excessive unless it's a private time that was chosen by you.

Thank you, that is exactly what I was thinking!!!  I just wanted to check to make sure other people don't think this is normal [eek]
LilMama

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #11 
Teens and seniors ends at 10pm the latest. Younger dancers all ends before 9pm.
PasDeChatMom

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #12 
Two years in a row theatre rehearsals for Nutcracker went past midnight the night before Thanksgiving (first performance was the Friday after Thanksgiving). It wasn't a school night but when you have to be up at the crack of dawn to put the turkey in the oven and start baking, it sucks! The only time I've seen rehearsals run that late is typically tech/dress rehearsal at the theatre - either for Nutcracker or spring performance. Non-theatre rehearsals were always out at a more reasonable hour (9ish).
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #13 
Yes, I do think is excessively late on a school night! 

Dd spent years at a studio where the owner would not let anything go beyond 9pm. She usually had everyone out of there by 8pm most nights and it was usually only the teens and maybe one class of older middle schoolers (8th grade-ish) who were there that late during the week. 

Her comp studio would never have kids that age there so late on a school night either. On a Friday for a special rehearsal or event, sure. But not during the week. 
Jacaranda

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #14 
That is ridiculous.

The las test our studio has anything finish is 9:30PM. And this is the senior kids who are 16-25.

Classes don't go past 9PM for kids under 16.

Kids under 14 no later than 8PM, kids under 12 not later than 7:30PM.
tappinmom

Double Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #15 
Once DS hit the senior company they had regularly scheduled classes as late as 10:45 a couple of times a week.  They only had 2 studios and refused to start group lessons before 5:45 because of working parents so had no choice but to end the older kids later.
dave9988

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #16 
No hard and fast rules, but classes are usually in the 4-7:30pm timeframe.
The rehearsal window is generally 7:00-9:15pm.
Homeschooled kids may start at 2 or 3pm.
PrimaMomma

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #17 
Well, we were there last night until just after 10pm, and we snuck out before the end of the rehearsal, but our part was done!  It was farther away from home than the studio too, so that took away more of our time.    Not cool

brizziemum

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #18 
Like Jacaranda (we're in the same state in Australia) I think some times for you are ridiculous but different country , different culture. Our studio - never past 8:30 for classes - and that is only the most senior classes - ages 14+ (we have several University students doing ballet classes). 7:30 is considered a late finish for 12 and unders. Rehearsals always on weekends or a scheduled class during the week.
And our schools seem to start later than US ones - my son has to wake up by 7am to catch his early bus by 7:40 - he could catch one later but he hates crowded buses - you are late to school if you aren't on the grounds by 8:55am. Some private schools do have an 8:30am start, some only some mornings. In primary school my kids could roll out of bed at 7:30 and still make it easily to school - they weren't allowed to arrive before 8:20 am.
When we have recital on a Saturday dress rehearsal on a Friday night might go to 9:30 pm (once a year). Once when a competition was running very late the SO warned us if the dancers weren't dancing by 9:30 she would pull the dance as she thinks the injury risk from tired dancers is too high.
brizziemum

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #19 
Another thing I find ridiculous ( it does happen here) is the director of a recital rehearsal saying to exhausted children " Come on, if you want to be a professional you have to keep on rehearsing, you can't be tired or slack". Umm no, professionals have union awards and occupational health and safety rules - the musicians have a set call time and they have to pack up when the call time is up ( the company will not let them incur overtime), the dancers too , especially the corps have a set call time and don't stay on stage past that time and the soloists may do one or two repeat steps but they will be chased off the stage by the theatre manager at a certain time too. And that's not even taking in to account the law of diminishing returns.
Midge

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #20 
That's kind of late.  I'm an adult professional and rehearsals rarely go past 10 unless it is tech week.
Dancingemu

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #21 
For dress rehearsal, every year even though everyone complains. Their excuse is it's the only time, except when it's supposed to start at 5:30 and doesn't start until 6:30 not because the dancers weren't ready it's frustrating to say the least.
Dancingemu

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #22 
Quote:
Originally Posted by brizziemum
Another thing I find ridiculous ( it does happen here) is the director of a recital rehearsal saying to exhausted children " Come on, if you want to be a professional you have to keep on rehearsing, you can't be tired or slack". Umm no, professionals have union awards and occupational health and safety rules - the musicians have a set call time and they have to pack up when the call time is up ( the company will not let them incur overtime), the dancers too , especially the corps have a set call time and don't stay on stage past that time and the soloists may do one or two repeat steps but they will be chased off the stage by the theatre manager at a certain time too. And that's not even taking in to account the law of diminishing returns.

Omg! This is what we deal with and none of our girls/boys will probably ever try to go professional.
Jacaranda

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #23 
Quote:
Originally Posted by brizziemum

Yep, and professional dancers don't also put in a full school day. Between school and dance and homework many of these kids put in far more hours than an adults full time job.
Marina

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #24 
That's quite late! Our studio classes for to 9:30 at the very latest and only for rehearsals before big shows. This is one of the many reasons I chose to homeschool my DD.
tappinmom

Double Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #25 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marina
That's quite late! Our studio classes for to 9:30 at the very latest and only for rehearsals before big shows. This is one of the many reasons I chose to homeschool my DD.

Rehearsals until 9:30 for a 5 year old is ridiculous.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.