Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
Sidhe14

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #1 
This year our studio is using an online service for recital ticket sales. The tickets are being sold through shovation.com. Does anyone have experience with purchasing tickets from this site?

We've had to purchase online before (from a different service) and it was a bad experience. I am also curious how other studios handle recital ticket sales. I would prefer to have an actual ticket rather than a piece of paper I paid extra money to print out at home.
PasDeChatMom

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #2 
Since my daughter started dancing 8 years ago we've only ever had the option to purchase tickets online, using a variety of services depending on where she was dancing. I don't have personal experience with shovation.com, though.
Julieg

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #3 
I do not have experience with this particular site but can still give you a few warnings that should apply to several sites.  If you are choosing your seats make sure to study a copy of the seating chart ahead of time if you can. If it's at a school they usually have that information online. I have had the ticket company put up a mirror image of the seating chart before so everything was opposite of what you really wanted.  Also, make sure to find the stage on the seating chart.  I have also had them post the stage at the top making the top seats front row but I've also seen the stage posted at the bottom making the top seats look like front row when really they are the last row.  Some sites will automatically pick what seats they think are best for you but really they're just trying to make sure there are no empty buffer seats.  Sometimes if you are choosing your seats you have to uncheck the ones that the computer automatically chooses for you or it will not allow you to pick the ones you want.  Be aware of the payment methods.  If they are using Paypal make sure you have an account all set up and current banking information because the time they allow you to pick your seats and pay is limited.  A few minutes before the sale starts, go to the site and periodically refresh your screen so you will know the second they are open for business.  Most importantly, stay calm.  If you expect a sell out, you need to remain calm and collected to make sure you don't make any mistakes.  Make sure the date and show time are for what you want before you finalize anything.  Some studios aren't very cooperative when it comes to returning or exchanging tickets.  I hope this helps.  Good luck.
Jacaranda

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #4 
Our recital tickets are always sold online. But this is organised through the theatre where the recital is held and it is a professional ticketing company, so they do professionals shows and things like that so we have never had any problems.
jazzminesun81

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #5 
Like Jacaranda, ours are organized through the recital theatre (a professional venue) and through Ticketmaster so you can either buy online through Ticketmaster or at the physical theatre's box office.
tappinmom

Double Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #6 
Our pre comp show and recital are held at a professional theatre and tickets are sold either on line by the theatre or in person at the theatre.
My2DanceLoves

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #7 
New this year , we bought floor seats on line.   Not through shovation , but I imagine the process is similar.  

The comments above about the mirror image seating chart have me a little worried.  I got the exact seats I wanted , hoping they are actually those seats. 
cynmckee

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #8 
We do online too and would not be happy if they were sold any other way.  I am hitting way too many dance shows a year (7 not including the comps-which you don't have to pay for) to care much about keeping mementos anymore....but I do get it.

The only thing is that once the announcement goes up that the tickets are online they sell out so fast...or at least the good seats do.  I was taking a headache nap and wasn't up when the announcement went out a week ago and all the center orchestra tickets were gone within an hour or so.  I would like to be able to get decent seats just once before the kid graduates.
melissa745

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #9 
We buy ours through a lottery. But we've used an online program to buy tickets for the kid musicals my DD does. Never any issues.
Julieg

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #10 
I wouldn't worry too much about the mirror image problem.  It was with Brown Paper Tickets (hate that site) and several years ago.  The only reason I caught it was that I studied the seating charts and knew the letter of that row wasn't correct for where I wanted to sit.  We also had them sell a row "I" one year and there is not one in the theatre.  Those people were really angry because they got to sit in folding chairs.  Plus the show started really late trying to figure out the seating fiasco.
Sidhe14

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #11 
Wow. We must have just had a bad service because I've dealt with codes not taking the full discount (for tickets I paid for in recital fee) and a server crash when tickets went on sale. I'm hoping this site is better. The recital is not a professional theater, but one I am familiar with so that should help. I have multiple shows to buy tickets for so I think I will need to have them all written down in front of me. They do not allow exchanges. Thank you for the replies and advice.
Twinkletoesx2

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #12 
We have to order online for the first time this year. Hoping all goes well.
crafty1

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #13 
We are really, really lucky. SO strongly feels that recital should not cost the family anything. We have no tickets. It is general seating, first come/first served. Last year only, we had to have tickets because they used a different theater and it was really small. This year, they are going back to the high school where they used to have recital about 4 years ago, so no tickets. They have never had standing room only there. Our studio is not very big, but they did have SRO at one show a few years ago at a different venue. DD is thrilled, because it will be at the high school she will attend next year.

The biggest problem we have with the whole "no ticket needed" thing is a complete lack of theater etiquette by many people. I wonder if that is because "you get what you pay for", and since it is free and people don't have to buy a ticket, they feel they can be rude and stand up and move around during dances, hold their tablets up over their heads to record their precious snowflake, and talk loudly throughout the show. Also, SO consistently makes the mistake of saying "that's our show" before the goodbye number. She usually has several announcements, and pulls the raffle winners before a cute little goodbye number which has every dancer in it, including the rec kids. However, as soon as people hear her say "that's our show", they are on their feet to pick up their child and they can't hear what else she is saying. One year at a new venue, the lighting guy heard her say that, and turned the house lights up. It took about 5 minutes before she could be heard well enough to tell him to turn them back down so she could finish her announcements. We dance moms spread out in the audience telling people to please sit back down because they couldn't pick up their child yet, since she/he was actually on stage.

I get along with her really well, and I have been gently teasingly coaching her to say, "okay, before our last number I have a few announcements...".
Sidhe14

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #14 
Crafty1, I have seen poor theater etiquette from people who have paid for tickets. Each show has 2 performances, one that audience is allowed to film and one that does not allow filming. You would expect parents who want to film the performance to attend at the time it is allowed. However, I always have some parent in front of me take out their big tablet to film at the performance that doesn't allow it. There's just no excuse for that at all. We also have parents getting up to help with costume changes while students are dancing. If I am in the audience and need to leave I do so between performances so I don't block someone's view.

Update, I was able to purchase tickets without any problems. Julieg It gave the option to have them pick seats or choose my own. I really liked that and definitely chose my own. I got good seating and no stress. *Happy Dance*
changole

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #15 
Our studio used to do in-person ticket sales, but I think the process got too tedious, especially as the studio grew. The old in-person system was that there were a few ticket sales days/times  in which studio parents could pick out and pick up their free tickets (2 free tickets for each show that your dancer(s) is in) as well as a limited number of paid tickets. After that, tickets opened to the public.

Currently, the studio uses tututix.com, which started being a horrible experiences, but is now much improved (because the site itself has made great improvements in its buying process). There are still specific days and times that tickets go on sale for parents and then the public, as well as the original rules of free tickets and limited number of paid tickets before tickets go on sale to the public. I really enjoy being able to log on from a computer or my phone (depending on where I am and what I am doing at the day/time tickets go on sale) and not having to worry if the first day of private ticket sales is a good day/time for me. Nor do I have to worry about planning an entire morning/afternoon around waiting around in the parking lot of the studio so that I can be one of the first in line to pick out seats!!

The buying process is also really smooth and simple. Select show, select seats, pay. I can purchase from any number of shows and check out all at once. The seats I select are reserved for me for a limited amount of time so that I can shop without worrying that someone else is buying the seats I picked out.
musicboxdancer

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #16 
I don't know what ticket service I used, but I once was purchasing tickets for my daughter's recital, but they had lots of different performances in their theater on the same day, and it was confusing; I clicked on the wrong show and wound up purchasing those tickets, and they were non-refundable. The theater refused to let me switch. Even though I called them right after I realized the error. So I'm very careful now.
We've also had problems with people asking us to switch seats so they can have our seats. We choose our seats in a particular location for a reason, and won't swap with anyone.
LilMama

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #17 
We too are held at a theatre so we can either get the tickets online (print tickets at home/mail to your home/pick up at box office), over the phone or in person at the box office. I've always bought it online and had no problems. Just make sure where the stage is so you won't get the wrong end. My friend once made this mistake =p
gandalf

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #18 
Quote:
Originally Posted by crafty1
We are really, really lucky. SO strongly feels that recital should not cost the family anything. We have no tickets.

I hate ti state the obvious, but while you are not writing a check for a recital ticket, you are already paying for them in many ways. It may be higher tuition cost, ciostume markup, or less-qualified dance teachers. There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.
gandalf

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #19 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidhe14
I would prefer to have an actual ticket rather than a piece of paper I paid extra money to print out at home.

I try not to be rude online, but many of us DM's spend thousands and thousands of dollars each year on dance. If you are concerned about an extra 35 cents for printer ink and a pience of paper, I might suggest that dance may not be an activity for your DD or DS
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.