Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 2      1   2   Next
prancer

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #1 
One of the other threads talked about high level classes combining competition dancers and other high level dancers training but not competing.

I know I am out of season here, but how does that work for recital dances?

Our last studio did not train high level dancers unless they were on team (red flag), but our new studio has a variety of dancers in every class. I can't imagine each tech class (e.g. 4 each of her ballet classes) gets its own recital dance, but I don't know.

How does this work at your studio?
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #2 
At the competition studio dd once attended, this happened routinely. Dancers on the competition team still had technique classes. Others who were of the same ability level who were not on a team were able to take those classes. For the younger through more middle school aged dancers, this was very common. Those technique classes had dances in the recital. The oldest/highest level dancers also had some technique classes that were non-performing. I don't know for sure, but do suspect those classes only had team members. So, while a dancer might have 3 jazz classes each week, there would be only 1 recital dance from that and 1 or more team dances (from the team rehearsal "classes.")
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #3 
At dd's old comp studio (which did not have company classes) there would be one recital dance per class with the exception of ballet.  Then it would be one recital per level up until the highest levels (pointe) when they  might have 2, sometimes even 3... w/each one learned/rehearsed on a different night.
Bonbonmama

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #4 
Our classes are for company and rec dancers alike. They usually have one recital dance/genre.
DanceTumbleCheerMom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #5 
At DD's old studio, Comp kids had a separate class and the main genre classes were for everyone and did 1 or 2 recital pieces.
momcrew

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #6 
Our tech classes are not in the recital. Anyone can take those classes but comp kids are required to take them. Anyone can take recital performance classes too, rec or comp, and they will perform together. By a certain point most of the comp kids stop doing recital classes and focus on taking more tech classes. 
Jacaranda

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #7 
All our classes have both comp and non comp dancers in them (except the comp classes of course). It isn't really an issue at all when it comes to recital routines, because the kids are all of a relatively similar standard whether they compete or not.
joriebelle

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #8 
For the comp kids, there are separate classes for technique and comp dances, so it's not uncommon for non-comp kids to be in their technique classes.
cynmckee

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #9 
If you have mixed classes, why would there be separate recital pieces?
prancer

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #10 
Really interesting. Thanks. Maybe that is how they will do things - one recital piece per level per genre? Sounds reasonable to me, but they do have different students in different sections, so bringing them together woukd take some finessing. I am curious to see how it plays out!
My2DanceLoves

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #11 
Comp routine rehearsals are completely separate from other classes.   Aside from that , there are rec or "level" classes , each of which performs a routine at recital.   And then we have "Company".  I know a lot of studios refer to comp teams as Company but this is not the case for us.  Company is reserved for the more serious dance students.  We currently have 3 Companies , made up of students with like ability , usually relatively close in age as well. Each Company performs ballet and jazz routines at recital.   Not all Company members compete , so it's not unusual for comp and non-comp dancers to dance together in their respective Company.  Also not unusual for comp and non-comp dancers to dance in the same recital routine for classes like hip hop, tap and modern. 
dave9988

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #12 
Quote:
Originally Posted by prancer
Really interesting. Thanks. Maybe that is how they will do things - one recital piece per level per genre? Sounds reasonable to me, but they do have different students in different sections, so bringing them together would take some finessing. I am curious to see how it plays out!

That's pretty much what we do, one piece per level/genre to demonstrate what they are learning in class, with a few comp pieces thrown in to highlight how things can really come together in a polished performance.
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #13 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynmckee
If you have mixed classes, why would there be separate recital pieces?

?????

I have no idea what you're asking here [smile]
Angel2228

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #14 
I'm wondering this as well.
Dds studio normally would split the kids after about age 10-11 into comp and rec. but some of the rec dancers are at a competitive level, just not able or willing to commit to the cost and extra time to compete.
This year they have added them to some comp classes. They fit in extremely well, but I think some parents are upset that 'their kids got moved to a rec class' and that now they won't be able to compete their class at all the comps like usual. (Normally all comp classes go to all comps, they just aren't started until after Christmas and only in the last 10-15 mins until the last month of dance when it's full class choreo)
Her ballet is also split this year for a syllabus class and a choreo class. Not all kids in the syllabus are in the choreo.
So it will be interesting to see how this pans out.
Kfish1987

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #15 
We have comp classes, rec classes, tech and ballet. Ballet and tech classes do not do a separate dance for recital.
cynmckee

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #16 
Quote:
Originally Posted by heidi459

?????

I have no idea what you're asking here [smile]

Maybe I didn't understand the original question.  I thought the question was if there are comp members and non-comp members in the same class, how do they do recital pieces.  Are there separate recital pieces for the comp members vs, the non-comp members.

But no worries asking, what the hell are you saying.  I always need more coffee then I can get my hands on.
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #17 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynmckee

Maybe I didn't understand the original question.  I thought the question was if there are comp members and non-comp members in the same class, how do they do recital pieces.  Are there separate recital pieces for the comp members vs, the non-comp members.

But no worries asking, what the hell are you saying.  I always need more coffee then I can get my hands on.

LOL

I'm still confused but I'm going to give it a shot!

In my experience, no.  There's one recital piece that all the kids in the class, comp and non comp, do together.  Class has nothing to do with comp.  
prancer

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #18 
To clarify - maybe I needed more coffee - the competing and non-competing dancers are in class together with similar skills. I know they will do some class numbers in a recital, but because different kids show up for different sections of the same level of ballet (and not all kids take all sections) I just wondered how things worked in your studios.  

I doubt my dd will do 4 different recital ballet numbers (one for each ballet tech class), but in each of the four sections she has a few different students who are not in another section of ballet.  The one recital piece per level per genre makes sense.  How they will stage this has yet to be seen.

Maybe I confused things with bringing in comp.  That really doesn't matter in the question - just that the comp kids tend to take more classes than the others.  [wink]
Suzit42

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #19 
All classes are open to comp and non comp dancers. The classes that are a genre, tap, ballet, etc. will have a recital dance. All dancers in that class will learn a dance as part of the class. That dance will be performed at recital. So DD will dance all of her comp dances and a tap, ballet, hip hop and Acro dance in recital.
jazzminesun81

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #20 
Tech classes are open to rec and competition dancers at our studio. There's one recital number per genre per level in the higher levels, and they alternate jazz/lyrical in primary and ballet/tap in preschool levels. For academy+ (everything past primary) there's a base class and at least one "accelerated technique" class. The recital dances are taught in the base classes. You have to take the base class to take the "accelerated technique" classes, and you must take ballet to take any other genre but hip hop, acro or aerial. Classes are based on age and skill rather than comp and rec though there are fewer and fewer rec kids in the accelerated classes as they get older. 
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #21 
Quote:
 I know they will do some class numbers in a recital, but because different kids show up for different sections of the same level of ballet (and not all kids take all sections) I just wondered how things worked in your studios.  

I think I understand better now. I can give two different examples from a ballet studio on how that may work. 

At one ballet studio, level 2 (for ex) meets twice each week, but there are classes on M, T, W, and F. Each dancer is registered for a specific 2 days but while Mary might go MW, Stacy goes MT and Jane goes WF. 

One year, they did something similar to what dancingpeanut described. They mentioned that they would begin working on the recital dance in late March and did a survey to find what day they could all be present. That became the day when the level 2 dance was worked on. All other days were usually just a normal ballet class. 

A more complicated method involved occurred with level 1. All the dancers learned the beginning of the dance in all the classes. They basically stood in place and danced for that section of the dance. The teachers assigned places to all the dancers, no matter who attended what day. Then, they all left the stage. Section 2 of the dance was the Monday dancers, Section 3 was the Tuesday dancers, etc and then they all came back on at the very end. It actually looked beautiful on the stage. Might have been a little nightmare for the teachers, but as an audience member, it worked! 
Jacaranda

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #22 
Quote:
Originally Posted by prancer
To clarify - maybe I needed more coffee - the competing and non-competing dancers are in class together with similar skills. I know they will do some class numbers in a recital, but because different kids show up for different sections of the same level of ballet (and not all kids take all sections) I just wondered how things worked in your studios.  

I doubt my dd will do 4 different recital ballet numbers (one for each ballet tech class), but in each of the four sections she has a few different students who are not in another section of ballet.  The one recital piece per level per genre makes sense.  How they will stage this has yet to be seen.

Maybe I confused things with bringing in comp.  That really doesn't matter in the question - just that the comp kids tend to take more classes than the others.  [wink]

Makes sense now. In most cases like that our studio would choose a certain day to work on the dance, it would usually be the day that the majority of students come. If students can make that day then they would not be in the dance. If that class is going to do more than one dance (which we often have for ballet), then there might be a different dance done on each day. Which ever days you come are the dances you are in.
tappinmom

Double Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #23 
First studio comp and rec were completely separate and did separate dances.  The comp kids performed all their comp dances in recital and each rec class performed their dance.

Second studio had separate tech and choreo classes.  Rec kids were welcome to take the comp tech classes if the SO felt they could keep up.  That usually only happened up until teen and then they went entirely rec.  If there was a rec dancer in the comp tech class that group would have their comp dance and a rec dance that included the rec dancers.
brizziemum

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #24 
At my daughter's studio there are no separate technical classes although at competition rehearsal they will often do half an hour on particular skills needed. They have one recital dance per grade no matter how many classes per week e.g Rad5, intermediate foundation have two classes per week each but just have one dance. There is also a separate pointe class ( happens after the general class usually) that has a separate dance at recital. The younger ballet classes have two classes on offer but often children only attend one - they are required to attend both classes for the last four weeks before recital. Other classes like jazz , contemporary have only one class per week per level but have a dance each. Contemporary seems to work on their dance all year in that they learn mini routines/ sequences throughout the year which end up being seamed together.
I look back in admiration to my ballet days - I remember age 6 I think my teachers had 25 of us from possibly six different classes at 4 different venues during the week doing a dance to Waltz of the flowers with only two combined rehearsals before the concert and it worked beautifully. They were old school dancers who knew how to get children to count and dance in time to the music - saying the movements ( in one's head) in time to music. I can still remember the words describing the Little Red Riding Hood dance that was for a very early RAD exam.
jwsqrdplus2

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #25 
For us, here is the best I can figure out:

Ballet: Pre-ballet thru level 3 will have a recital dance.  Levels 4 and 5 will not.  However, pointe will which covers a large chunk of Levels 4 and 5.  Currently we have very few Level 4s not on team, and all of Level 5 is on team, so it works for us.

Tap: Again Pre-tap thru level 3 have a recital dance.  While tap class is mandatory for team, competition is not.  Generally level 4 is our teen tap, and level 5 is our Sr tap.  Ash is the only level 5 tapper not in the Sr comp dance, so they just do the team dances at those levels.

Jazz: Similar to tap.  Pre-jazz thru level 3 have separate recital dances.  Levels 4 and 5 generally just perform comp dances.  We have about 6-8 non-team dancers in level 4, so they will get their own recital dance.  Level 5 is all team, so they just do their team dances.

Acro and modern: all levels have recital dances.

So in Ash's case, she has all her team dances plus pointe, acro and modern.  The last 3 are a mix of team and non-team dancers.

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.