Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
changole

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #1 
Hello!

Does anyone have any advice on how to make the quick change process as easy and streamlined as possible? The studio requests that dancers with quick changes have a bin for shoes and any accessories, and I was wondering if any of you have done that? And if any of you have found a good way to organize it?

During one of the performance nights, my DS is in 10 performances that are literally all quick changes. But he is easy (no accessories), so Im not worried. My daughter, however, has hair accessories, other accessories, all sorts of different colored tights, and shoes..... 
NCKDAD

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #2 
WE have had one song only quick changes in the recital. Sometimes SO bends the rules with tights (like we may do them no tights for the recital when if it is one we compete we usually have tights or vice versa. She always ends Act 1 with company ballet so we have plenty of time to get the pink tights off after and into other ones.)

The bottom line is that I have to be back there to help. It is the only way. I have everything all ready and laid out. As soon as she is out of one she's directly into the other. I hang up the one that is done and have it all put away and out of the way. She is taking things off as I pull other things on and change headpieces. It is total madness and craziness with no time for modesty- lol. But it makes the show FLY!

This year DD11 will be in 17 numbers in the recital and 3 changes have only 1 song to get done. The most time she has is 3 between some, I think. DD8 will have 8. I basically spend the entire show backstage helping someone change and peeking at what I can from the wings. I really look forward to my recital DVD arriving and watching it.
NCKDAD

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #3 
Each of mine has a bin with shoes, but I Try to keep tights set with the costumes in the bag they belong in. I have also labeled everything in gallon ziplock bags before except the hanging costume so she pulls out the bag that is next and knows what she needs.

I makea list of the dances in order with what she needs, as well. She can refer to it, should I be otherwise busy.
Jinkerbelle

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #4 
We have layered tights before in order of costume changes, that seems to help.
NCKDAD

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #5 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinkerbelle
We have layered tights before in order of costume changes, that seems to help.

Yes we've done that too! But my girls aren't huge fans.

I was going to say that we are told of the quick changes and our SO factories ion all that is needed to change as she sets the order. Some kids aren't as efficient so they get a little more time if possible.
DanceTumbleCheerMom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #6 
We have layered tights as well.   I Hang all the costumes with tights and accessories in zip lock bags hung on the hanger as well.  

last year DDs tap class was in the 1st number after the opening number.   They had a table in the wings with their costumes tops and shoes and ran off stage, changed their tops and got their shoes on in the 32 counts that the adult class had for the intro to the  dance.   it was hard, but they did it. 
Phx115

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #7 
We do the layered tights thing, too!

Also, we do the gallon bags with accessories/shoes on the hanger, too. I go to the dressing room when DD11 checks in and I hang up the costumes on her Dream Duffle in the order of the show. She has one really quick change into full "ballerina" mode, so I'm helping her with that one. The rest ... she's on her own. Her choice.
prancer

PREMIUM MEMBER
Reply with quote  #8 
We took at laundry basket filled from top (first costume on top) to bottom (last costume), and separated a spot on the side for used costumes.  It worked.  Most changes happened backstage, and she made it out appropriately dressed for every part.  The one thing i would have done differently was to have hairspray near the basket to keep down fly aways if she had time for spritz.  
brizziemum

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #9 

Beware of "helpful" people - over the years my DD has had disasters when back stage helpers have moved items e.g there was a complicated layered costume which could only be  put on with the top flipped forward inside out so the leotard section was pulled up then the attached top flipped over the head, it was left ready for the costume change ( 16 second count) but someone decided  to help by unfolding it to look "right". On another occasion someone moved her costume and shoes to where everyone else in her group was getting changed - they had three dances, she had one and was distraught when she couldn't find her gear. Then there are the "helpful" people who confuse the poor dancer telling her she has to be in a later costume to line up for a later dance when she knows the order and where she should be which is about to go on stage.

tappinmom

Double Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #10 
Doubling up on tights is a wonderful timesaver.

During one of our production DS had 4 costume changes and one of them was 30 secs and a full costume including shoes and a portable head mic.  The SO makes sure that anyone like that has a dedicated teacher to help them and it has always worked out amazingly well.
disneymom2two

PREMIUM MEMBER
Reply with quote  #11 
We aren't allowed to layer tights.  If there's a quick change between hiphop and another dance, my daughter will wear tights under her hiphop costume this year (the pants go all the way down to her sneaker so you can't see the tights; wouldn't have worked last year with her tiny shorts).  I use dream duffel garmet bags so her earrings, lipstick, and shoes are all in the garment bag with her costume. 
Momof3

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #12 
Most of what I do has already been said, but to reiterate:

Quick changes with tights - layer them. Even if it's uncomfortable.

I keep a hanging shoe organizer on the rack with shoes and other large accessories separated by dance.

Ziplock bags on the hanger with the costume for all small items.

One dance quick changes - lay out the items with all closures undone in the order they need to be put on. I usually just do this over the rack, because I rarely have access to a table, but anyplace where they won't be moved will work.

Designated helpers. When my younger DD's class has a quick change, and older DD's class doesn't at that time, frequently each dancer in older DD's class is assigned to one of the younger ones. That way the younger ones know who is going to help them, they work out how they're going to do it ahead of time, and it goes fairly smoothly. This started because SO has a no-parents-backstage-during-recital policy, and so the kids are accustomed to helping each other. It spilled over into competition as well, and the kids just get it done, even as young as 7 and 8 years old. Kids younger than that tend not to have a ton of dances, and thus do not have the quick change issue [smile] In fact, now that I think about it, younger DD's first recital at this studio was at age 6, and she did it with the help of her then 10yo sister without any problems.
hsealover

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #13 
Having DD answer this, she's super independent and always insists that I'm not backstage with her.

Things I've had to do for Quick Changes:
-layering tights
-take off what you can while walking
-layer turners/half soles under tap shoes
-pop up laundry basket to throw costumes into when you don't have time for neatness
-changed behind curtains
-shoes in a box, laid out and easily accessible
-hairspray, inhaler, and water bottles planted in a few different places(costume bag, dressing table, backstage, etc.)
-arranged costumes in order of performance
-bag small accessories and hairpieces, attached to hangers
-index cards on hangers with list of costume pieces, really helpful when you're more focused on the change and getting there on time rather than having all pieces of your costume
-we all help each other get ready if we are already ready or have more time than the other person
nyklane

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #14 
Last year I "Hired" a helper-- an older dancer that was in dances that were opposite our quick changes. DD was in 7 and 3 were quick so we used a closer connected to the backstage area when needed. I did photography for the last two recitals so I wasn't backstage but I do like to see the dances I've watched all year. [smile]
my2miracles

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #15 
DD's costumes including shoes are all in separate Dream Duffle garment bags.  I'm so incredible anal that I set the costumes on the rack in order of the show before I go off to watch.  Her studio is ok with a nude leo underneath costumes so she wears that so there is no worry about showing anything.  She puts tight on over the leo for easy off and on.  When she was little, we did layer tights but now if there are tights they are always flesh colored.
disneymom2two

PREMIUM MEMBER
Reply with quote  #16 
Quote:
Originally Posted by my2miracles
DD's costumes including shoes are all in separate Dream Duffle garment bags.  I'm so incredible anal that I set the costumes on the rack in order of the show before I go off to watch.  Her studio is ok with a nude leo underneath costumes so she wears that so there is no worry about showing anything.  She puts tight on over the leo for easy off and on.  When she was little, we did layer tights but now if there are tights they are always flesh colored.

All the moms on my daughter's team out the costumes in order. It cuts down in looking for what's next.
Suzit42

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #17 
Quote:
Originally Posted by brizziemum

Beware of "helpful" people - over the years my DD has had disasters when back stage helpers have moved items e.g there was a complicated layered costume which could only be  put on with the top flipped forward inside out so the leotard section was pulled up then the attached top flipped over the head, it was left ready for the costume change ( 16 second count) but someone decided  to help by unfolding it to look "right". On another occasion someone moved her costume and shoes to where everyone else in her group was getting changed - they had three dances, she had one and was distraught when she couldn't find her gear. Then there are the "helpful" people who confuse the poor dancer telling her she has to be in a later costume to line up for a later dance when she knows the order and where she should be which is about to go on stage.

Amen! DD18 has a super quick costume change in the Production this year. We had a system to make it happen, including how costumes were laid out. The elastic in the top was a little wonky. Nothing major and nothing worth fussing over. A mom who meant well kept trying to "fix" it. When it was time for DD to literally leap into this top, it was so tangled, our system broke down. DD barely made it back onstage. And she was super stressed out. That being said, another mom jumps in at the end of this costume change to put on her gloves. But we practiced it ahead of time. And I am so grateful for her help. Needless to say, I would love to light this top on fire after recital.
Beccasmom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #18 
Quote:
Originally Posted by disneymom2two
All the moms on my daughter's team out the costumes in order. It cuts down in looking for what's next.

We always do this too, as soon as we take all the costumes out of the Dream Duffel we hang them on the rack in the order she needs them.
my2miracles

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #19 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beccasmom

We always do this too, as soon as we take all the costumes out of the Dream Duffel we hang them on the rack in the order she needs them.

I'm glad I'm not the only one.  At the 2 comp studios that DD's been at, I've never seen anyone else do it.
elastigal

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #20 
DD8's recital was this weekend and I did that too - hung all costumes in order of the show on her rack. I also had a printed copy of the show order with all her dances highlighted so she could quickly glance at it to confirm what was next. Made things easy for her, though she typically had about 15 minutes for changes (no hair changes required, did those at intermission) at one point she only had 6 minutes. So having everything in order helped. I told her when she came off stage just to take everything off and dump it in her bag and I'd sort it at intermission. This helped as she didn't have to spend needless time organizing things, just focussed on getting ready and back to the ready room.
Beccasmom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #21 
Quote:
Originally Posted by my2miracles

I'm glad I'm not the only one.  At the 2 comp studios that DD's been at, I've never seen anyone else do it.

Why anyone WOULDN'T do it is beyond me. Doesn't it just make sense? Why have them out of order and then be scrambling for what you need when you're rushed?
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.