Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 2      1   2   Next
prancer

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #1 
I am surprised by how much effort is going into recital at our new studio.  I guess it might be better termed a Spring Performance.  Nearly every class has a segment in the show, by a different choreographer, and it is organized into a cohesive major performance with a full tech week. I know we are at a performing arts studio, so the production of a show is part of the educational experience, but I think we have lost too much technique training to recital rehearsals this spring.  

My dd does competition dance, and her comp dances have always had separate rehearsal times, but the recital dances are not occurring outside of class time and are overrunning the technique classes.  This is my first major complaint about the new studio, and I am wondering if it is common in other studios? 

Because classes are enrolled al a carte by skill at this studio, every class has some students who are not in all the others, so they can't say that advanced ballet class A will perform but not advanced ballet class B, because you would miss some students.  At our last studio, all students took all leveled classes, so only some classes created a recital dance and the others remained technique focused.  How does your studio handle recitals/performances?

Jacaranda

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #2 
Recital have always been a big deal for our studio, and the same with most studios around here. I was surprised to read that a lot of the USA studios spend more on the competitions than recital. For Aussie studios around here it is quite the opposite.

The most expensive costumes are always for recital (they might reuse them for comps the next year). We spen dup to $400 on a recital costume, and we have to buy one for every genre of dance our kids do (they are not all $400, the cheapest are usually around $150 now).

We often get outside choreographers in to do dances for recital (then reuse them in comps the next year).

Professional theatres are always used so tickets are expensive. About $55 per adult and $52 per child to watch the recital.
prancer

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #3 
Wow, Jacaranda - that is a major commitment to recital. Luckily our recital costs are build into our tuition and we have a home theater which is an amazing advantage (so our tickets are less than ten dollars). I keep hearing I will love the show, so I'm looking forward to seeing it. However, still I wish they weren't letting it overshadow technique classes. On the bright side the students are looking forward to summer intensives!
Phx115

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #4 
Prancer - That was one of the reasons we left DD's first studio. Too much recital rehearsal time during technique classes. Beginning in January, 30 minutes of each of her 1-hr ballet classes was spent rehearsing the recital dance. The same was true for her other technique classes. I'll admit the recital dances generally looked good, but at what price?

jwsqrdplus2

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #5 
Recital (we call it student showcase) is a big part of the year.  It is a more traditional recital rather than a "spring show" format though.  The reason we call it showcase is because it is an opportunity for the students to show off what they have learned during the year.  Most classes have recital dances, and you can opt out of recital pieces of you want; however, but there will be the occasional non-recital tech class.  For example, Ash is the only person in her tap class not in the Sr tap for comp.  So they will not learn a new dance for recital; Ash just won't do tap in recital.  And her ballet class (tech) will not have a recital piece, but her pointe class will.  Ash will have her 10 comp dances plus 4 additional dances (pointe, tumbling, modern and graduating Sr) in recital this year.
tappinmom

Double Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #6 
Recital is kind of a big deal.  They rent a professional theatre and actually hire the theatre people to com in and do sound and lighting.

All comp routines perform in the recital as well as a routine for each rec class.

As far as taking rehearsal time from tech class that doesn't really happen.  For ballet they have separate classes that are only for technique and that never changes.  Ballet choreo is a separate class and stays that way.  All dancers are combined for ballet based on what level exam they have taken.  If a rec kid in the ballet class wants to be in recital they are fit in with another group of rec students who are around the same level and they perform together.  This is done outside of tech classes.  The only time that attention is taken from the tech class is with the littlest rec kids and they start in January using about 15 minutes every class to learn their recital dance.

We also have a long presentation at intermission where the studio gives out scholarships and special awards.  The kids love it.
Jacaranda

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #7 
Quote:
Originally Posted by oatmella

Wow - so a recital could cost $1000+? Curious if most families find this really expensive? It seems that the Australian dollar is not that strong against the USD but don't know if that would factor into whether this is affordable ...
Our recitals are kind of a big deal but fortunately costs are relatively reasonable while quality of the recital is still high. I live in one of the wealthiest parts in the US, but I don't think most parents even here would want to spend that much on a recital. Though they could afford to, they would find it unreasonable.

Yes, if you have more than one child you can expect to budget thousands for the recital, for one child doing most of the dance styles about $1000. Every has to do the recital it is compulsory or you don't move up to the next level the following year. No one complains, they just realise it is a part of dance and pay it.

To make a comparison when I was a kid my parents used to budget $1000 for every recital for my sister and myself, so considering that was a while ago it isn't too different.

Cost of living is higher in Australia, we don't have access to hundreds of costume companies like you have in the USA, so there isn't the same competitive pricing. If we get costumes from the USA we pay enormous shipping and customs prices.

JulieDB

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #8 
Recital is a big deal at the studio that we went to. Most of the classes are in it. Exceptions would be technique only or the exercise type classes. Some of the comp. pieces are in recital was well. Mainly group numbers but sometimes they will have a duo, trio or even a solo.
rdsmom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #9 
Not a big deal at our studio. We rent out a high school auditorium. For the most part, recital is focused on the rec kids and their experience. Frankly, most of our comp kids hate it because of all the quick changes during the "comp only" recital. 
rubydancemom

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #10 
Recital is rec focused at our studio. They put in a few comp dances, but it is mostly for rec classes to demonstrate what they learned this year. Dances are taught and rehearsed in class, and special ballet segments get a few extra auditions to string the class dances together in a cohesive ballet with a story.
jazzminesun81

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #11 
Recital is a big deal at our studio, but it doesn't overrun class time. Out of a 1 hour class, it's usually the last 15 minutes that they work on the recital dance, and it's typically not a problem because they start in January for the July performance. If extra rehearsal time is needed, it's booked outside of class time, but that rarely happens. There are also tech classes that don't do a recital dance, and you can opt out of recital. We have 2 days of dress rehearsal (you only have to show up for the block(s) you are part of) and 3 performances to accommodate all the different classes. The only dance that is the same for all shows is the finale, which is done by the comp team and the same every year. It's a big rite of passage as to what part of the finale you get to be in. Aerial does 2 shows, too, due to crowd demand. Each comp level only gets 1 dance in the recital, otherwise it would be 4 shows lol. We don't do a cohesive story, though.
nyklane

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #12 
I guess I would say recital is a big deal at our studio, but we are very small.  All of the rec classes perform and all of the comp teams/solos perform. During the spring most of the classes are focused on the recital dance and very little tech is covered.  Acro maybe is the class that at least does core stuff each time - but Jazz. Tap, Ballet are at this time of year pretty much warm up and recital dance.  Ours is done at a HS auditorium and tickets are typically 17-20 per person (and dancers if they watch have to pay too).  Our costumes are about 75-80 per class..  (and then comp costumes vary depending on what's chosen).
disneymom2two

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #13 
Recital is a big deal at our studio.  It's held in a local school auditorium. Tickets are  $15.  Every dance is done except solos since that would make it way too long.  There are 2 shows, 1 Friday night and 1 Saturday.  The babies rec classes are only done during the Saturday show but most of  the others, if not all, are done both times.
EJIDance

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #14 
Recital is a huge deal. It is done as a cohesive show and rehearsals do take over technique. I have tried to approach SO about this but she says that they still correct and work on technique while learning the dances. Can't say I agree but at this point my girls are in it for the enjoyment of dancing and friendships and warm atmosphere and the studio provides that. The studio rents out a large college theater. Tickets are usually $25. We don't buy costumes. They are provided by the studio and reused from recital to recital with adjustments for fit and theme.
ggsmith

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #15 
The ballet school DD attends has a spring ballet where students can audition and perform with the small professional company.

Because student parts are generally small in the spring ballet, and the youngest students aren't eligible to participate, there is a "recital."  Participation is voluntary.

It is broken into 2 one hour performances.  Most student classes prepare a short piece in the 6 to 8 weeks prior to the performance, using 10 - 15 minutes at the end of classes.  Students wear class uniforms and parents pay to sit in folding chairs in the largest studio.  

My daughter takes a lot of classes and never misses a chance to perform, so she ends up in both shows.  

One year they rented a small school auditorium where we had comfortable seats with a view of the dancers, a raised stage, air conditioning, and more than a single toilet to share among the entire audience.  Tickets were twice as much, but there was just the one show so my cost was the same.  I suggested a return to that setup, but my request fell on deaf ears.
JulieDB

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #16 
Even though recital is a big deal at the studio we were at, it does not take over technique. It would be rare to start as early as Jan. We did have one teacher who taught swing and advanced tap. Of course with something like swing, it was necessary to start out with technique but less important with tap. Reason being that by this point, they pretty much knew all of the steps. They were just strung together in different ways. So he would generally teach them 3-4 different routines, working perhaps two a time, teaching little bits each week. Come recital time, he might ask them which one they wanted to do. She took clogging classes at another studio and they did pretty much the same. She was unable to be in that recital as it fell on the same day as her main studio.

For the little kids, they were basically only doing the same few steps, again strung together in different ways. But since they were just starting out, their pieces were less complicated and they might start them slightly earlier like Feb. or March.

For the more advanced students, they might possibly start working on the piece in March but sometimes later. By this point in time, they pick up on choreo a lot faster and less rehearsal time is needed. So they might spend the last 10-15 minutes of class learning choreo. And they might not do that in every class. It would be rare for them to do nothing but the recital piece in class unless there were issues with it. One year, they had to make some changes to a piece at the last minute. Some of the parents had complaints because they felt that certain people were being showcased while others had such simple moves that it appeared as if they didn't know many dance steps. Kind of hard to explain without seeing the piece. But the entire piece was reworked and it looked much better in the end.

Another year, I think every parent in the class complained about the recital piece for tap. It was a cute piece, choreographed by two older students but they made it all about basketball. They actually danced while doing things with little basketballs. The problem was that they had to learn all these basketball tricks. None of them were basketball players and we felt that it didn't showcase their tap skills. So the teacher redid some sections of it to put in some of the more complicated tap moves. 

There have also been times when the recital piece wasn't going so well or changes had to be made because someone had to move out of state or was injured so the piece needed a lot of reworking because of the missing person or people. In that case, they might ask the students to show up for another hour, sometimes on the weekend. We were not charged any extra for this.
Momof3

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #17 
I would say recital is a pretty big deal at our studio. We don't always have a comp showcase, and few extended family members come to competitions, so for both comp and rec kids alike, it's the main opportunity to show off what they've been doing. We really only have had one dress rehearsal/one performance in the past, but rumor has it that may be changing this year. Guess we'll find out soon at the recital meeting! As for technique overlap, it really depends on the class. There are some that are technique only, but not many. I'm thinking about the ballet classes my kids are in, and I really don't believe it's more than the last 10 or 15 minutes of each class that they are working on their recital pieces. I know for a fact one of them just started choreography 2 or 3 weeks ago. Little kid classes tend to start earlier; some senior classes don't start until mi-May for a mid-June recital. Really depends on the teacher and the level.
dave9988

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #18 
It's not a straight-forward question!

In one sense it's played down as a "demonstration" of what they learn in class, and for the most part they just wear class leos.  Maybe with an accompanying hair piece, skirt, or other accessory.  And most every class and level has a part in the performance.  But there are exceptions, maybe beginning pointe for example, which are left out.  The performance is recorded, and DVDs are available.  Many (most?) group competition pieces are included, but few solos.  All comp pieces are in full costume.

Because every class is (mostly) represented, every class learns some sort of combination during their class time which will be staged.  For most of the year this isn't in conflict with learning technique, etc; it's just part of the normal goings on in class.  They might not even be using the year end combination in class until the second half of the year.  As the performance approaches, they do spend more class time "cleaning up" whatever it is they are going to perform, perhaps to the point of dominating the class time.  But that's not typical until at least 4-5 weeks before the end of the year.  And if something really needs work, they do schedule separate rehearsals.

So is it a big deal? Yes, no, maybe, I don't know!
kmpmom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #19 
Recital is a huge deal at our studio.  It's the chance for all the rec kids to shine and I love to watch it!  The comp kids dance in it as well.  Across 3 shows, each s/d/t/g goes once, and the big studio lines go once in each show.  It's a great chance for the comp kids to cheer on the rec kids, and for the rec kids (and their parents) to get a glimpse at what comp looks like.  Held in a professional theatre with professional lighting, and then even take the rec kids through a proper dress rehearsal so they get to feel what that's like too.  Personally, I love it.
DanceTumbleCheerMom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #20 
Its a big deal at our studio.   We are non comp, and have 2 shows a year, one is the benefit show in Jan, and the end of year recital.  We do 2 shows. a shorter 1 hour show with the youngest dancers, and a longer evening show with grades 3-adult.  Everyone is in the opening number and finale.   Tickets are 15.00 a piece and the theater at the college is rented.  we do professional video and this year will have pictures being taken.   
kattididd

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #21 
Quote:
Originally Posted by disneymom2two
Recital is a big deal at our studio.  It's held in a local school auditorium. Tickets are  $15.  Every dance is done except solos since that would make it way too long.  There are 2 shows, 1 Friday night and 1 Saturday.  The babies rec classes are only done during the Saturday show but most of  the others, if not all, are done both times.

Exactly the same at our studio, except this year we have 3 shows due to having it at a local high school instead of the local university. There are no competition dances and the only solos are the seniors. Every class has a recital dance and there are 2 dances that are not from classes, one is a production number and the other is a combined class number. We always have a theme to the recital and all dances are choreographed around that theme. This year it is a Disney theme.
DancingInTheStreet

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #22 

Oh yes, it is absolutely a big deal. Every class (except technique classes) performs one dance (which means the older kids are in many, many dances). The littlest usually perform at one or two shows (there are several over a weekend) and as the classes get more advanced they are in more shows. I like they do this to show a mix of progression. It is at a local theatre and we have to buy tickets, each show is about 2 hours (I LOVE this b/c growing up my studio had one that went on for FOUR hours). You can opt out of the show but they learn and practice the dances at the end of classes starting in January (I think) so your child would really be missing out. They are taught really great finer details of performing, too: show hair, entrances, exits, bows, etc. They really want the kids to get the feeling of performing in a dance show. 

The only downside is we have to buy the costumes. [frown] They aren't as pricey as some, but my daughter still refuses to ever re-wear them for any costume event so it's a few hundred for a few minutes of wear. I think in the scheme the costumes are not so pricey, it is just when you have many dances to buy for. But I also feel like the only parents at Dd's studio without a money tree in the back yard. 

Competition dances don't perform.

angelashunter

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #23 
We live in a relatively small town outside of a major metropolitan area. We are flooded with dance studios (4 in a town of 26000). Our studio is small, around 60 girls. All students participate in the yearly recital. Classes combine technique with recital prep. Most younger students perform in 1-3 dances with older students and competitive members in 7-12 dances. Competitive routines are also performed at the recital. We usually end up with around 33-37 dances at the recital.
mom25

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #24 
Recital is a huge, fully staged production with every class performing. We also have a full week of tech, staging, and dress rehearsal that runs all day every day. We have major props, backgrounds, costumes, musical skits, and one theme that runs through the show. People start lining up for tickets 20 hours before they go on sale! No, I do not live in a large city.
Celc9

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #25 
Recital is a big deal at our studio. The comp teams will perform all their dances plus a few extras and all rec classes will perform. We came from a rec studio before joining a comp studio so it was a big deal at our old studio as well. DD is 13 and after being at competition and seeing how other studios run this will most likely be our last year. Our studio does not do separate classes for choreography so we spend a lot of time on dances. My DD would rather do more technique and has come away from class unhappy many times. We have looked at another studio in town that is new but the hours are more and DD wants to do more school activities. Very disappointing because she could be a great dancer if given the training.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.