Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 3 of 3      Prev   1   2   3
Mittenmom3

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #51 
So, just went to the recital for our new studio and they didn't want parents backstage at all. The older dancers are all assigned groups and jobs. Quick change, hair, props, leading out groups, etc. It went perfectly and the young dancers love the older girls.
tappinmom

Double Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #52 
Our second studio didn't allow parents backstage and we never had any issues.  The seniors, DT's and select parents took care of everything.  I would be complaining to the SO about how your children were treated.  There is no excuse for that.
nicknoralove

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #53 
I have no desire to be back stage because my daughter is still so young (5) and on the shy side. I know if I were back there she'd want to cling to me and there would be a chance she wouldn't go out at all. When I'm not around she has more fun and just goes along with her class and teachers.
disneymom2two

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #54 
So far, I've been through 3 recitals with Jess' dance studio.  The first two I stayed in the audience; last year I was a backstage mom.  Between quick changes, hair style changes, and helping the older girls a little (they had some ornate headpieces and quick changes), we were all needed.  The kids stay backstage regardless of how many dances they have and if the mom doesn't get a backstage bracelet, she isn't allowed back there.  Even when I was in the audience, I knew the people backstage and knew my daughter was well taken care of.
czmcdaniel

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #55 
At our old studio - Parents were responsible for getting their kids ready...the first and 2nd years I ran back and forth to watch her dances...by the third year I just stayed in the dressing room.

At our new studio- No parents backstage...I'm a little worried bc DD has always had me there to keep things organized and moving.... I'm thinking this comp season I will need to back off and let her get used to doing things herself...

But to be honest - I would rather be backstage than in the audience...I buy the video and I can watch it later and fast forward if I want...lol
cynmckee

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #56 
I haven't been a back stage mom since the girl was 12ish.  During comps I will go back to the dressing room once or twice during the day just to congratulate kids on jobs especially well done and to see if snacks may be needed.  More than once I have gone back to find the girl in a the middle of a low blood sugar attack.  Before she could identify those for herself she thought the shaking was because she was tired or nervous.  All it takes is to remember to eat a couple of apple slices between pieces, and she is good to go.  If every mom was a backstage mom, it would utter chaos back there.
Dancingemu

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #57 

Last year was the first time I trusted someone else to make sure my girl was ready for the stage. I was so fidgety and nervous the hair wouldn't be just right. For dress rehearsal I was back and forth (watching to take pictures). I don't know if I can just sit in the audience again. lol Really my only lean to sitting in the audience is to sit with family and friends who made the trip into town just to see my girl dance. 

Dancingemu

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #58 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynmckee
I haven't been a back stage mom since the girl was 12ish.  During comps I will go back to the dressing room once or twice during the day just to congratulate kids on jobs especially well done and to see if snacks may be needed.  More than once I have gone back to find the girl in a the middle of a low blood sugar attack.  Before she could identify those for herself she thought the shaking was because she was tired or nervous.  All it takes is to remember to eat a couple of apple slices between pieces, and she is good to go.  If every mom was a backstage mom, it would utter chaos back there.

Most of our floaters are the moms of the older girls who know the ropes and can calm the new moms. They try to keep the moms of youngers in the audience so they don't end up following their little behind the stage and the girls can focus.

nyklane

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #59 
I hire a Older dancer to help my young dancer through her changes.  Our room moms kind of "herd" the littles, not really help them that much.  My dancer is 7 this year, and although she can get into most of her costumes I'll still have someone there to help her.  I'm also the studio photographer for recitals so I'm in the audience for both shows.
amandafarris03

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #60 
I was a back stage mom for a while (since I was also dancing in recital) but I don't dance anymore and she has teenagers/adults that have no ties to a dancer so that the parents can sit and enjoy the show.  I do help out in the lobby before the show though!
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.