Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 2 of 3      Prev   1   2   3   Next
Charade

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #26 
I have always been in the dressing room helping dd. This year, however, she is in high school, only has 3 dances, has no quick changes, and has only one hairstyle. This year I will stay in the audience. 
Klba37

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #27 
Recitals are not so bad for me, not normally hair changes and DD12 can change herself; but during the company show that is another story, they will have their hair changes like competition and not many numbers in between.
Momof3

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #28 
Current studio doesn't want parents backstage except for the very smallest dancers. I sit and enjoy the show. Our classes aren't comp-based, so while many of the comp groups are in the show, the bulk of the show consists of class dances I've never seen. I really enjoy it!

Old studio was one where parents ran back and forth constantly, At the time, I didn't know any differently, and was fine with it. But looking back, I wonder how I ever enjoyed any recital at all.
DDdances

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #29 
Audience mom now but Dd is 12. She has three shows with make up and hair changes. She has become quite independent. Teachers and moms of the youngest are backstage. If she needs help she has her classmates as well.
I sit and watch happily. But I do set her up and clean it all up once over. Recital is usually when things go missing. And after getting through 4 competitions without losing anything, I plan to keep the streak going
EJIDance

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #30 
We only have a few parents allowed backstage as helpers. They are usually the ones that are good under pressure. Two moms are assigned per age group. For the younger ages you mostly do bathroom runs and entertain them, and for the older ones, manage all the costume changes. I am usually with the 3-6 year old as I am good with kids and chaos and my younger dd is 5. We don't really get to see the show but we do get to see all the rehearsal behind the scenes stuff which is fun. We are not a competitive studio and we have pretty original productions twice a year rather than recitals, so while I enjoy the backstage, I would love to be in the audience. Once my kids and their friends are older, perhaps.
jazzminesun81

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #31 
I volunteer for whatever one DD has the least numbers in. They're pretty good about shuffling around and letting you watch from the wings. DH prefers to be backstage.
EJIDance

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #32 
Ours doesn't allow dads backstage. We have senior girls doing quick changes right in the corridors [biggrin]
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #33 
I am now an audience mom for the first time in a very, very long time. 

When she was little, they did not use any parents at all backstage. Employees and older dancers as helpers only. At the next studio, I quickly became a backstage parent, but working actually backstage, not in dressing rooms except for one or two performances early on until they got to know me and realized that I actually had experience. Not that I hid anything. I put it on the volunteer forms but they just didn't put new parents there. Eventually, photography became my thing and I was in the audience. 

At dd's last studio, I split my time. I photographed some shows (they had a big name photographer who did the other shows), worked backstage for some and watched a few too. Yes, there were a ton of performances for each show. I think there were 12 Nuts, 6 for the winter show and 5 for the spring plus a gala. 
meatball77

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #34 
My kid doesn't want to be around me at all before she dances.  I make her nervous.
dancer1234

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #35 
I was a backstage mom..    Early on at our studio, they required volunteers to be back stage and work at least one show and no other parents could be backstage.  You had someone watching backstage and only volunteers, teachers and dancers could be backstage.  That way everyone got an opportunity to be back stage and help out various age groups.  I remember one show a mom asked me to make sure her daughter, age 7 had a quick change and needed help.  I got a huge thank you from that 7 year old dancer and made me feel so good, she was pretty amazing at that age and did not panic and had a plan on how to get everything done.   (Now at age 15 she is in a pre professional track with a ballet company)    As years past, the parent volunteers would only help their own dancer and then eventually the request for volunteers dropped off and it was more of parents exchanging to help out one another. 

I was backstage to help with costume, quick changes and quick fixes or costume repairs.  I brought my sewing kits, bobby pins and pins.  Everyone seem to ask me for something.   My daughter wanted me close but not necessarily hovering over her.

After a while, What I witness was a lot of mom's taking up space in the dressing rooms and only helping their dancer out and then wondering back into the wings to watch their child perform.  This is even when they were in High School.    They were not ready to clip the ties yet.

I think a lot of people and I was one of them that thrived off the backstage vibes..  I am one of them, but I am going to miss it as we move into to our next studio as they don't allow anyone backstage.

crafty1

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #36 
No parents are allowed backstage at our studio, but the comp team moms do help their daughters (no boys on the team) with quick changes so we go in the dressing rooms. We do float in and out, but we stay in the back of the theater and only enter between numbers. The comp moms a few volunteers and studio personnel are the ONLY ones allowed in the dressing rooms.

Our recital is really late this year - June 18, so I haven't seen the schedule for it yet to see just how quickly DD needs to change. She is 14, so she usually takes care of it, but I like to be there in case she gets stuck in a costume that is getting tight.
Zmomj

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #37 
All the company moms at our studio help backstage at 1 or 2 shows and watch the other show or shows. Each backstage volunteer is assigned a room for the show, or is in the wings for quick changes. Because I'm not fast at hair and makeup, I usually get the littles. No one runs in and out during the show- volunteers do the changes, hair, makeup and hugging.
DanceTumbleCheerMom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #38 
Checked out our "space" yesterday during rehearsal   I will be with the 6th graders and we are on the loading dock.   Fun stuff.    I will be challenged to keep them quiet.  Ist a great group of girls, so it should be fun. 
elastigal

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #39 
We only have one show but it's three acts and DD7 is in all three so yes, I will be back in the dressing room helping her and any of her teammates with quick changes - thankfully no hair style changes, just hairpieces. I can watch the first act entirely, will miss most of the 2nd act, and will get to see most of the 3rd act, all of it if I can do her hairpiece in a way that she can take it off herself. We have parent volunteers that help in the waiting room next to the stage where all dancers gather before their call to the stage but otherwise in the dressing rooms the kids are on their own unless their parent or another teammate steps in. Same for rec kids, we were rec last  year and I had to go help her change. Looking forward to when she's older and I can just sit in the audience for the entire show.
mom2dancinboyngirl

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #40 
At our studio parents are encouraged to sit and watch the show unless they need to help a young dancer change costumes. They arrange it so that the hairstyle is the same for the whole show, so all but the minis are usually fine on their own (the youngest rec kids typically don't change costumes - they are helped by the older dancers). My DD11 handled all of her changes on her own last year for the first time, and I expect it will be the same this year.

I am in the adult tap group, so I will go backstage only when it is time to get ready for that (usually we are placed very close to the end of the final act).
DanceForFun

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #41 
When my children were young, I was always backstage.  The studio we dance at now has two performances so I help out backstage with the little ones during one show and sit in the audience for the other.Best of both worlds. [smile]

FlaPoloDanceMom

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #42 
Definitely like to enjoy the show from the audience.  My older DD who has danced for 11 years helps my younger DD.  I am just the organizer for her costumes and the rest is up to the two of them.  There is just something about seeing the show from the audience versus the wings.  I did that for 8 of the 11 years from my older daughter.[biggrin]
Angel2228

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #43 
I have volunteered every year for one of the 3-4 shows they run on the weekend. The other ones I am in the audience. The one show I am backstage is normally the one she dances the least in.
We also have a check your child in and pick them up after the show policy. However you are more than welcome, and encouraged to volunteer for any of the shows. You do not get in unless your name has been put on the list the week before.
Dd is completely self sufficent. She does her own hair and make up. She has her costumes organized and they have moms set up to help with quick changes. I don't worry at all. The older girls will also help with hair changes if needed. I actually prefer that I don't help, it transfers to her outside dance life, being prepared and accountable for herself. (Also recognizing if someone else could use a hand)
DanceTumbleCheerMom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #44 
Really enjoyed helping this year. I was in the dressing room with DD and the rest of the 6th graders. She did everything on her own , except I helped about 5 girls with a quick change back stage after the opening number.

One thing that really stood out was the closeness of the girls and how DD being a grade lower didn't bother them at all ( all but 1 of her classes, ballet, were with the middle school group). And I feel good that she will have a solid group of friends going into the Jr High next fall.
LeapYear0208

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #45 
I have always been a room mom. We have to have a minimum of 2 moms per class backstage. Parents sign their kids in, go to the audience, and pick them up after finale (sign out). There is one of the six shows this year that I didn't sign up to be room mom. I want to watch. It is our last year at this studio and I feel like I deserve to watch one recital and a bonus both of my kiddos are in that show, only 1 dance each. So I don't have to worry about them changing like I do in other shows.
LoveJillyLilly2Dance

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #46 
Our mom's are kinda both? However, we basically just get to watch our DD's numbers and then leave the back of the theatre as soon as they're done with their dance to help with costumes.
AthleteArtistDancer

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #47 
I used to be a backstage mom when DD was small. Once she hit 9-10 and could handle herself backstage, I jumped ship and became a happy audience mom.  Our shows are really long, but it's the only chance to see what the other classes are doing.  I love watching the senior ballet pieces, can't wait until DD is up there with them!  <3
Mittenmom3

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #48 
11 years into this journey and I've been both. I was backstage for many, many years and I'm the costume fixer upper mom. Lol!

Dd is 14 now so I don't need to be back there anymore and I feel that I've done my time watching littles backstage. Dh and I now sit and enjoy the show. [smile]
LasMa

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #49 
At our studio, we were expected to deliver our dancers to the dressing room an hour before show time -- hair and makeup done -- and pick them up at the very end.  We were strictly forbidden to be in the dressing rooms, much less backstage, any time during the show.  

I was always very grateful for that policy.  For starters, I got to relax and enjoy a really great show -- the whole thing, not just my kid's numbers.  Also, it eliminated the constant hubbub and distraction of parents going in and out, in and out.  (That was something I absolutely hated about competitions.)  And best of all, the dancers knew that they had a full and attentive audience, not just whoever happened to be perched in a seat at the moment, waiting to bolt for the dressing room. 

The kids were well-minded.  The studio staff and adult company dancers were each assigned a group of little ones, and the older company dancers also helped out. All of those people were more than capable of getting little girls into costumes without Mom's help, as well as handling any hair/makeup fixes. 
dancerdani

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #50 
At my first studio, my 9-year-old only had 1 dance so I just watched. However, they also sent kids to where their parents are in the audience. At my new studio, they must stay backstage regardless if they are in just 1 dance. For 2 years here, I stayed in the crowd but this recital I regretted it! When I watched my dd dance, before hip hop they had a 4-minute quick change and no one would help her. She came on with the wrong shoes since she still had to complete her hair! But, ballet was the worst! My other dd is a heavy sweater and once again had a quick change. Ballet was a mandatory bun and her hair as down. She asked a couple of people and one helper commented on how gross her hair was and she would have to start it herself. I understand maybe she should have contained her feelings but she was about to cry! I recommend first asking others about their children's experiences with any helpers backstage. 
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation: