Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 3      1   2   3   Next
DanceTumbleCheerMom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #1 
at our old studio, for Comps and Recitals I was the back stage mom, who always had extra pins, lipsticks, whatever and the girls knew they could come to me for anything. 

Last year, we had only been at the new studio for 4 mos and I was in the audience, and can honestly say I got fidgity and felt out of place.

This year, I get to be a back stage mom again, in the 6th grade dressing room (actually the theater loading dock) and I am so happy.  
3girls

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #2 
I can't remember the last time I actually sat in the audience and watched the show, I much prefer to be backstage.
Jacaranda

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #3 
Back stage mum! To be honest I am one of those Mums who are a bit crazy, if I was sitting in the audience I would be biting my nails off wanting to know what was going on back stage and imagining disaster, I don't think I could enjoy the show.
disneymom2two

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #4 
Technically I'm not supposed to be backstage but all the company moms can go if they want so I do spend most of my time back there.  
DanceTumbleCheerMom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #5 
only a few moms are allowed back stage , she has a lot of former students helping out.   I am so glad I get to be more in my comfort zone lol
jule425

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #6 
With 2 daughters that dance, I haven't sat in the audience at recital in YEARS! This year at our early recital, one of the 2 of them were in every 3rd dance. We were so busy fast changing, the recital flew!
dancemonkey

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #7 
I'm very happy to be in the audience. I used to like to be backstage but I'm at a different place in my life. I have senior this year so I get to be in the front row!!! Oh the perks of dance!
melissa745

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #8 
We don't really have backstage moms. Every mom is responsible for ther own kid. So we go back and forth between backstage and the audience. I see every one of my kids' dances from the audience.
joriebelle

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #9 
I'm the studio photographer so I'm always in the audience.
kmpmom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #10 
Audience.  To me, the recital is a chance for the moms to relax and enjoy the dancing.  Learned this from DD's first studio who had a "no parents" rule.  You sat down in the theatre, the lights went out, you were amazed for 2.5 hours, and then all the kids in the entire show (not allowed to leave) came out and took a bow and you cheered harder than you have in a long time, throughly relaxed and happy for the first time in the competitive year.

Then the lights came up and you collected your kids from backstage.  

Perfection.  

Although our current studio allows kids (and their audience based parents) to leave as soon as they're done, and there's a gaggle of moms backstage (many just yapping), I've kept to the old ways and recital, as a result, is enjoyable.
momcrew

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #11 
Backstage for me. I'm cheap and enjoy not having to purchase a ticket [wink] 
tappergirlmom

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #12 
Audience.  Too much pandemonium backstage, I hate it.  The more I think about it, I am the anti-dance mom.  I want as little as possible to do with it.  The only thing I love is seeing my own dd on stage.
jwsqrdplus2

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #13 
Backstage for most shows.  I will be in the audience for the show with the majority of Ash's dances.  Ash and I will go over the schedule for her main show to make sure she has everything set up for any quick changes before the show.  Once the show starts, she is on her own!

In previous years, I was back stage, but would run around to watch Ash dance if I could.  One year, she had 5 dances in a row with 1-2 dances to change.  I watched all of those dances from the wings that year.
My2DanceLoves

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #14 
Parents are not allowed in the dressing rooms.  except adult dancers , which I am , so I am backstage when I have to be.  But for the most part I sit in the audience.   I would be pretty pi$$ed if I spent all that money all year but could not watch the culmination of all the hard work.
Bonbonmama

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #15 
I would love to help out backstage but our studio doesn't have parent volunteers in the dressing rooms for recital. It's all alumni and DTs. We do have ONE mom who has helped out with the little kids for a long time but that's it. All company moms do have volunteer obligations but it's always in front of the house (tickets, sales, decorating, checking dancers in etc).
I enjoy watching the recital!!! I love being backstage (helped with Nutcracker costumes for years and really enjoy that!) but I also love watching my kid doing what she loves..! [smile]
Twinkletoesx2

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #16 
For years we were responsible for helping our own kids. No big deal back when dd took 1 or 2 classes but once she hit unlimited it was a lot of running back and forth. A few years back, the studio decided they wanted the parents to sit and enjoy the show. Now they have staff, older students and parents of older students help at younger shows and parents of younger kids help at the older show. Older dd is self sufficient and she usually volunteers for the younger ones and is backstage to help her sister. Works great for me [smile]

I remember helping in dressing room at the 7pm show a few years back and I had to do SO many buns. It was not comp girls as they can pretty much do everything themselves, but a girl came up to me with hair half way down her back, thick, wavy hair and said can you help me with a bunch and handed me a rubber band and 4 Bobby pins! I didn't know whether to laugh or cry!
tinydancers

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #17 
I have three dancing dds so I'm always backstage. I also do hair and make up for a couple of my friends' dds. I enjoy it.
mandyx3

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #18 
I can't even imagine the disruptions of parents going back and forth from backstage to the audience and back..... that's not fitting of a show in a proper theater at all. 

We only have a select few parents backstage - - the audience is full of the parents and family members... if all the parents were going backstage who would watch the show?

I'm flabbergasted by some of the comments... so bizarre to me. ha ha
DanceMomLaura

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #19 
I'm an audience mom.  DD14 has it all under control back stage and would rather have me out of the way.  I just go in at the beginning to set up the rac n roll and wish the dancers good luck, then go in at the end to clean of the tornado of costumes my DD left behind.

Funny story ... the first year my DD wanted to "go it alone" (in the dressing room), I had to sit in the center of the aisle of seating forcing me to stay seated.  Usually us moms sit on the ends to jump up and down to help out back between dances.  Talk about anxiety!!  Sitting in the center, knowing I can't disrupt other parents/grandparents...but she got through it (as did I).
mic123

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #20 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandyx3
I can't even imagine the disruptions of parents going back and forth from backstage to the audience and back..... that's not fitting of a show in a proper theater at all. 

We only have a select few parents backstage - - the audience is full of the parents and family members... if all the parents were going backstage who would watch the show?

I'm flabbergasted by some of the comments... so bizarre to me. ha ha

Ours is also run as a show so there is no getting up and moving about between dances.  We know someone from another studio that said their recital is very long and people come and go in the audience.  I find that very strange and distracting.  more like a competition than a recital.

We do have the option to work backstage or sit in the audience but it an an either/or situation that you sign up for in advance.
tappinmom

Double Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #21 
Our first studio you were responsible for getting your dancer ready so it was a lot of running back and forth.

When DS was 9 we moved to the new studio and they have a very strict no parents backstage rule.  You drop your kid at the door and they lock them in and you pick them up when the show is over.  The first year it was rough for me because I wasn't sure how he would manage to get himself ready but they have limited parent volunteers and all the DT and seniors and he was fine.  It was nice to be able to just sit and not worry about anything for a couple of hours.  Once he got a little bit older I would always volunteer in the baby room for one show and then watch him in the others. 
melissa745

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #22 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mic123

Ours is also run as a show so there is no getting up and moving about between dances.  We know someone from another studio that said their recital is very long and people come and go in the audience.  I find that very strange and distracting.  more like a competition than a recital.

We do have the option to work backstage or sit in the audience but it an an either/or situation that you sign up for in advance.

Our show is in a professional theatre, so although we do have to get up and get dancers after their numbers (even if they don't have to change), there are ushers there to make sure people don't stand up during a dance or enter the theatre until the dance is over.

Since we pay the same ticket price as many schools charge to have theirs in a high school auditorium, I don't mind.
dancedivasx2

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #23 
I think in 9 years I have watched 1 show. When your kids compete you have seen their dance a million times. We have seven shows with 32 numbers each. Our studio relies heavily on parent volunteers.  These Moms usually volunteer on a night their child it not dancing. I have been in charge of our company only show for 5 years. I do help my kids change in the other 6 shows. It is a perk of being head of a show.   We do not allow parents that are not official volunteers to be back stage . It is very hard to keep track of dancers. Besides if your child is a non competing dancer you want to watch them.

Our show is also in a professional theater and do not allow anyone up during the performance. 

Thinking , I could not imagine parents running back and forth in and out. It would be complete chaos! 
rdsmom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #24 
Definitely behind the scenes. I'm a "floater". I usually help with quick changes, pinning, calming preschoolers, etc. 
Twinkletoesx2

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #25 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dancedivasx2
I think in 9 years I have watched 1 show. When your kids compete you have seen their dance a million times. We have seven shows with 32 numbers each. Our studio relies heavily on parent volunteers.  These Moms usually volunteer on a night their child it not dancing. I have been in charge of our company only show for 5 years. I do help my kids change in the other 6 shows. It is a perk of being head of a show.   We do not allow parents that are not official volunteers to be back stage . It is very hard to keep track of dancers. Besides if your child is a non competing dancer you want to watch them.

Our show is also in a professional theater and do not allow anyone up during the performance. 

Thinking , I could not imagine parents running back and forth in and out. It would be complete chaos! 

See we do not do our comp numbers for recital. We have a whole new set of dances for recital. I am glad they went the volunteer route and I can sit and enjoy the show. I usually volunteer for the show my kids are not in.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation: