Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
dave9988

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #1 
Just trying to think of a new topic ... anyone go to many professional dance shows?  Who have you seen recently & enjoyed?  Not trying to be NYC/west coast-centric, I know there are plenty of talented companies across the country.  If you don't think we've heard of them, all the better!
dancermom128

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #2 
We saw Travis Wall's show at Dancerpallooza. Can't remember what's it called now but if he takes it on the road I would run not walk there. Not only was the dancing out of this world, it's the story of his life. And it really helps you to understand him as a person. He's usually pretty private and definitely not what I would consider warm and fuzzy so this have me a whole new perspective on him.
dancermom128

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #3 
Just remembered it's called "The Hollow Suit"
jwsqrdplus2

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #4 
We have both a professional modern company and professional contemporary company local to us as well as ballet.  We have been to almost all of the modern performances (one of DTs dances there) in the last several years, and just started attending the contemporary shows.  We also try to get to traveling shows when they come to town, but often those shows hit other Midwestern cities (3-5 hours away) rather than ours!
4boysmom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #5 
Haven't been to any for a while, but I am going to see Shadowlands by Pilobolus Dance Theatre this weekend. It looks to be a great show.
Mom2Girls

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #6 
We generally only see professional performances in the summer. During the dance year we don't have time for anything but the shows DD12 is in. Those are pre-professional with a handful of professionals. 

This summer we only saw one professional show. It was NYCB's A Midsummer Night's Dream--that was fun. Sara Mearns as Titania is a treat.  
dave9988

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #7 
Would love to see Travis Wall, Pilobolus, and NYCB!  Every year we threaten to look into Toronto or NYC for a show after our Nut run is over (early December), but by the time it comes we're exhausted, and happy that we didn't follow through.  Plus it's amazing the tab you can run up in a short weekend trip!!!

We have been on a bit of a roll lately.  That's sure to slow down as the dance/Nutty season kicks in high gear.  Scored tickets to Pacific Northwest Ballet at the end of August at Jacob's Pillow (~5 hour drive), and then we saw our regional ballet company in a wonderful concert a couple of weeks ago.  DD10 went with friends to see Garth Fagan the other night, and I have to admit that I'm jealous.  I do have one more local show with my wife lined up for next weekend, but then things will probably slow down.

eta: It's fun to see the "big national names," but some of the smaller regional companies are really amazing, and more accessible.

ballerinamom13

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #8 
Going to see dd perform Balanchine's Serenade in 2 weeks.  Probably one of my favorite ballets and I've not yet seen it live.  Very excited!!  DD is just in the Corps, but first cast every show.
dave9988

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #9 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ballerinamom13
Going to see dd perform Balanchine's Serenade in 2 weeks.  Probably one of my favorite ballets and I've not yet seen it live.  Very excited!!  DD is just in the Corps, but first cast every show.

AWESOME, congratulations!!!!!
joriebelle

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #10 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ballerinamom13

That is exciting!  Congratulations to your DD!  I'm sure you can't wait.  [smile]
beachgirl

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #11 
Our whole company is going to see Justin Giles' SoulEscape's new performance in October.
stpierremom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #12 
Shaping Sound was amazing - both DD and I loved it.

Rhythmic Circus was really impressive.

In the spring, we're going to see STOMP for the first time.

And then in April, DD and I will see a touring show of 42nd Street.  Love musical theater!
dave9988

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #13 
Caught Shaping Sound over the weekend.  Loved it!  Great dancers, and what a superb job they did with lighting!
birdmom

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #14 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave9988
Caught Shaping Sound over the weekend.  Loved it!  Great dancers, and what a superb job they did with lighting!

My kids saw Shaping Sound and my theatre techie daughter was also very impressed with the lighting. The both really enjoyed the show too.
prancer

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #15 
We saw Shaping Sound last season and again this season.  I loved it last year, and missed some of the previous lead dancers notably this year.  Just a heads up. Kyle Robinson is the only one of the original creative team still performing in the show. 
cdnmom

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #16 
This month there are some great contemporary dance performances taking place in Toronto.  

ProArteDanza, a critically acclaimed Toronto dance company, is presenting its Season 2016  Nov 16-19  (there are also shows tonight in Oakvile and tomorrow night in Markham).  Check out http://proartedanza.com/index.php/blog/2016/10/proartedanza-presents-season-2016-on-tour 

I attended last year and the level of dancing was outstanding. 

And if you're looking for summer intensive programs for your dancer (Summer 2017), consider
http://proartedanza.com/index.php/training/the-programs (18+)
http://proartedanza.com/index.php/training/aspirante-program-description (14-17)
BCdancemom

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #17 
We saw Ballet jazz de Montreal a few months ago. It was amazing!!
Mitzy

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #18 
We also saw BJM, and I agree it was great. Hoping to see Alonzo King's Lines soon!
dave9988

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #19 
Looking forward to seeing NYC Ballet for the first time over our February break!
BCdancemom

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #20 
Seeing Ballet jorgen swan lake next week!
ballerinamom13

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #21 
Seeing OBT's Swan Lake next week.
dave9988

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #22 
Was blown away by the NYCB at Lincoln Center last Wednesday evening.  Was everything I had hoped for.  Costumes, set design, the live music, the theater, and (DUH) the dancing!!!!

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.