Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
BCdancemom

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #1 
Trying to get this forum a bit more active [smile]

So here is a little get to know everyone questionnaire I made up lol!

How many dancers do you have in the family? How old are they?

How many kids in total? Anything you want to share about your non dancing kids, activities, achievements Etc?

Did you dance as a kid?

Where do you live?

How many years has your dancer been taking classes?

Do you have any other hobbies?

Does your dancer aspire to a professional career in Dance?

Do you have a career outside of being a full time dance mom?

Something else interesting about yourself?

BCdancemom

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #2 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCdancemom

How many dancers do you have in the family? How old are they? Only one, 13 year old daughter

How many kids in total? Anything you want to share about your non dancing kids, activities, achievements Etc? I also have 17 year old twin boys. Twin a is in culinary arts school and is an amazing drummer in a band. He also works part time in a kitchen. Twin b is finishing up higher school and taking heavy duty mechanics next fall. He works part time delivering pizza and is the most energetic and outgoing guy!

Did you dance as a kid? No, but starting taking adult classes.

Where do you live? beautiful British Columbia

How many years has your dancer been taking classes? 9 years!

Do you have any other hobbies? Yoga, reading, board games. Occasionally hiking.

Does your dancer aspire to a professional career in Dance? Yes. She would love to make a career out of dance.

Do you have a career outside of being a full time dance mom? I used to! Been a full time mom for the greater part of past 10 years. Am just finishing up my degree in nursing and will return to part time work in a year or so.

I have acted in community theatre. Very fun and rewarding experience

my2miracles

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #3 
How many dancers do you have in the family? How old are they?  1 14

How many kids in total? Anything you want to share about your non dancing kids, activities, achievements Etc? 2  DS is 10 and likes to play video games

Did you dance as a kid? No didn't have the opportunity

Where do you live? Suburbs of Chicago

How many years has your dancer been taking classes? 8

Do you have any other hobbies? No time or money for hobbies [tongue]

Does your dancer aspire to a professional career in Dance? No but she's considering owning a studio

Do you have a career outside of being a full time dance mom? Yes full-time in IT

Something else interesting about yourself?  Before kids, I rescued Rottweilers but I failed Fostering 101 and ended up with 4 at one time.
prancer

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #4 
Fun!  Thanks!

How many dancers do you have in the family? 1    How old are they? 13

How many kids in total? 2      Anything you want to share about your non dancing kids, activities, achievements Etc? 11 year old boy who is a top level basketball player.

Did you dance as a kid?  Yes but not seriously.  

Where do you live?    midwestern U.S.  

How many years has your dancer been taking classes?   4.5 years

Do you have any other hobbies?   rhinestoning!  and neuroscience (if that's a hobby) - I frequently wonder how many brain cells I'm killing off with glue fumes[crazy].

Does your dancer aspire to a professional career in Dance?   no.

Do you have a career outside of being a full time dance mom?    yes, I'm a professor.

Something else interesting about yourself?     I actually competed acro dances almost 40 years ago!
tappinmom

Double Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #5 
How many dancers do you have in the family? How old are they? 1.  He is now 21 and not dancing anymore except for fun occasionally.

How many kids in total? Anything you want to share about your non dancing kids, activities, achievements Etc? Just the 1.

Did you dance as a kid? Yes from 2 to 18 years old.

Where do you live? Jut outside Toronto, Canada

How many years has your dancer been taking classes? He took classes for 17 years.

Do you have any other hobbies? Reading and knitting.

Does your dancer aspire to a professional career in Dance? Nope  he is studying to be a journalist and is really into playing music now.

Do you have a career outside of being a full time dance mom?   I am a program administer in the airline industry.

Something else interesting about yourself?  My parents live with us and have since I was pregnant with my DS.  Mom acted as a live in nanny.

BCdancemom

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #6 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tappinmom
How many dancers do you have in the family? How old are they? 1.  He is now 21 and not dancing anymore except for fun occasionally.

How many kids in total? Anything you want to share about your non dancing kids, activities, achievements Etc? Just the 1.

Did you dance as a kid? Yes from 2 to 18 years old.

Where do you live? Jut outside Toronto, Canada

How many years has your dancer been taking classes? He took classes for 17 years.

Do you have any other hobbies? Reading and knitting.

Does your dancer aspire to a professional career in Dance? Nope  he is studying to be a journalist and is really into playing music now.

Do you have a career outside of being a full time dance mom?   I am a program administer in the airline industry.

Something else interesting about yourself?  My parents live with us and have since I was pregnant with my DS.  Mom acted as a live in nanny.

That is really awesome!! My dad lived with us from 2006-2015. My kids were 7 and 3, so always had him in their lives. He lives in an assistant living place only five mins away now. Family is everything!!
Jacaranda

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #7 
Quote:

How many dancers do you have in the family? How old are they? 3 of my kids are dancers DD4, DD13 and DD18

How many kids in total? Anything you want to share about your non dancing kids, activities, achievements Etc? I have 4 daughters, my 2nd DD who is 16 is a gymnast, she started dancing like the others but gymnastics took over for her and it suited her personaility.

Did you dance as a kid? Yes, I started dancing at age 3 and continued until the age of 27 (In Australia it's quite normal to keep dancing and competing with your studio throughout your late teens and 20's because people don't tend to go away to college, but attend local universities)

Where do you live? Gold Coast, QLD, Australia

How many years has your dancer been taking classes? DD18 started at 2, so I have been a dance Mum for 16 years, but I took classes myself for 24 years.

Do you have any other hobbies? I love Musical Theatre, K go to every show that comes out.

Does your dancer aspire to a professional career in Dance? No, DD18 wants to teach (she is student teaching). My DD's are wonderful dancers but they have inherited my height, I am 5'0" not really the dancer body type. They have also I herited my body type which is strong and fast but not naturally flexible at all.

Do you have a career outside of being a full time dance mom? Yes, I am a school psychologist.

Something else interesting about yourself? I have shared a few anecdotes through the questionnaire.

joriebelle

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #8 
Quote:

How many dancers do you have in the family? How old are they?  -  Four dancers, although the 2 oldest are in college now so DD20 is on cheer team and DD19 is on dance team.  DD15 goes to a competition studio and DD12 goes to a pre-pro ballet school.  I have one other child, a son, who used to do tap but doesn't dance anymore.  He's an Eagle Scout.

Did you dance as a kid? - I did ballet when I was little but it was through the park district.  I actually still remember my recital dance lol

Where do you live? - a western suburb of Chicago

How many years has your dancer been taking classes? - DD15 since she was 6, DD12 since she was 18 months old

Do you have any other hobbies? - photography and scrapbooking

Does your dancer aspire to a professional career in Dance? - DD12 yes, DD15 no.  The older two also do not aspire to a dance career either

Do you have a career outside of being a full time dance mom? Something else interesting about yourself? - I'm a part time photographer and I homeschool my kids

jemn

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #9 

How many dancers do you have in the family? 2

How old are they? 10.5 and 7

How many kids in total? 2  Anything you want to share about your non dancing kids, activities, achievements Etc? My 10 year old dances competitively, my younger one is doing what our studio calls pre-comp (a more intense training year to see if they are ready/able to audition for the competitive team. I don't think dance is her thing -- we need to find the time to try other things for her. 

Did you dance as a kid? just recreational jazz for a year or two

Where do you live? - near Toronto, Canada

How many years has your dancer been taking classes? - DD10 since she was 5, DD7 since she was 4

Do you have any other hobbies? - no time. :-( 

Does your dancer aspire to a professional career in Dance? - Not really -- they talk about maybe being dance teachers, with other careers.

Do you have a career outside of being a full time dance mom? yes -- corporate communications/PR

Something else interesting about yourself? I was an alpine skier growing up. Broke my pelvis in a race, the first day of March Break when I was 12.    

dave9988

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #10 
How many dancers do you have in the family? How old are they? // DD13, DD10

Did you dance as a kid? // Would not have been caught dead in a studio.

Where do you live? // Rochester NY

How many years has your dancer been taking classes? // Both since they were 4 yrs old.  We've been at the same studio for 9 (?) years.

Do you have any other hobbies?  //  Dance photography.   

Does your dancer aspire to a professional career in Dance?  // Yes.

Do you have a career outside of being a full time dance Dad? //  Yes, in IT.

Something else interesting about yourself?// Used to live for the cold & alpine skiing.  In my old age I prefer the heat.  Also a certified handgun instructor, though I do not actively teach.
JojosDanceMom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #11 
OK, I'll bite.  [smile]

How many dancers do you have in the family? 1   How old are they? 18

How many kids in total? Anything you want to share about your non dancing kids, activities, achievements Etc?  I just have the 1... unless my cat counts, in which case her favorite activity is running franticly around the house at about 3:00 am in the morning for no apparent reason [confused] [rofl]

Did you dance as a kid? Not really.  I danced for about 1 1/2 years when I was around 8.  Then I took the dance elective (complete with 2 performances a year) in middle school.  But that's it for me.

Where do you live? RI

How many years has your dancer been taking classes? 16 years!

Do you have any other hobbies? Nope... who has time for that?!  LOL

Does your dancer aspire to a professional career in Dance? Yes, she's working towards her BFA now.

Do you have a career outside of being a full time dance mom? Yup, I work in HR/Benefits.

Something else interesting about yourself?  I suppose that would be the fact that I was in the Navy... but it was only for one enlistment right when I got out of high school.  I got out after I had my dd.
carriesmom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #12 
Okay, I'll play! 

How many dancers do you have in the family? How old are they? One - DD19

How many kids in total? Anything you want to share about your non dancing kids, activities, achievements Etc?  Three kids total.  My two younger boys are into sports, sports, sports - basically anything with a ball!

Did you dance as a kid? Yes, up until early high school.  My DT was actually DD's first teacher as well.

Where do you live?  New England

How many years has your dancer been taking classes?   17 years (wow!)

Do you have any other hobbies?  I like to read whenever I have the chance

Does your dancer aspire to a professional career in Dance? No, she is now dancing in college for fun but wants a career in PR/Advertising

Do you have a career outside of being a full time dance mom? Yes, I am the practice manager for a pediatric health practice

Something else interesting about yourself?  I love to travel - we've been to many interesting places around the world and hope to get to a lot more
Angel2228

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #13 
How many dancers do you have in the family? How old are they? I have a 14 year old dancer

How many kids in total? Anything you want to share about your non dancing kids, activities, achievements Etc? My son is 12 and an awesome little hockey player. He's also been in swimming, tumbling, tae kwon do, boxing, floor hockey, soccer, baseball, Ukrainian dance, and tap. He's very sporty.
Did you dance as a kid? 1 year, ballet

Where do you live? Alberta

How many years has your dancer been taking classes? This is her 10th year, she was 5

Do you have any other hobbies? I'm really enjoying loosening up with the chauffeur duties and asking to car pool. I've been hanging out with friends, shopping, and going for lunches.

Does your dancer aspire to a professional career in Dance? Yes, she wants to be a professional ballerina, but we don't have the money to get her in a school. Honestly I see her more as an actress.

Do you have a career outside of being a full time dance mom? Part time, 4 days a week in a bank

Something else interesting about yourself? ?? I got nothing
BCdancemom

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #14 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel2228
How many dancers do you have in the family? How old are they? I have a 14 year old dancer

How many kids in total? Anything you want to share about your non dancing kids, activities, achievements Etc? My son is 12 and an awesome little hockey player. He's also been in swimming, tumbling, tae kwon do, boxing, floor hockey, soccer, baseball, Ukrainian dance, and tap. He's very sporty.
Did you dance as a kid? 1 year, ballet

Where do you live? Alberta

How many years has your dancer been taking classes? This is her 10th year, she was 5

Do you have any other hobbies? I'm really enjoying loosening up with the chauffeur duties and asking to car pool. I've been hanging out with friends, shopping, and going for lunches.

Does your dancer aspire to a professional career in Dance? Yes, she wants to be a professional ballerina, but we don't have the money to get her in a school. Honestly I see her more as an actress.

Do you have a career outside of being a full time dance mom? Part time, 4 days a week in a bank

Something else interesting about yourself? ?? I got nothing

We go to competitions in Alberta, where snouts are you guys? [smile] we too can't afford the big ballet school (royal Winnipeg or Alberta ballet)
Mittenmom3

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #15 

One. She is 15.

How many kids in total? Anything you want to share about your non dancing kids, activities, achievements Etc?

Three total:

Ds19 is in college, majors in psych, minor in music, joined the marine reserves, will go to basic in may. He's our temperamental artist, plays 5 instruments, very talented.

Ds17 is a senior in high school, has a wicked dry wit, and is my distance runner. He recently ran the thanksgiving day turkey trot marathon in Detroit. 10k the the 5k after. He was 56th out of around 5,000 in the 10k. He was nice and hung with big bro in the 5k as a cool down. Lol! They finished 1499 and 1500 of over 10,000 and big brother had to cross first, of course.

Did you dance as a kid?

Nope. Gymnastics was my thing and not nearly at the level as dd's dance.

Where do you live?

Metro detroit suburb, east side. Hold your right palm facing towards you. Point to the base of the thumb, bottom right before you fall off into lake st. Clair. Lol!

Yes, I like to cook and read mystery novels.

No, she hasn't the flexibility to be a pro, but I could see her involved in other ways like hair, costume design or make up. She's very creative.

Yes, I work for the federal government. Human resources supervisor.

I find it amusing that I live in a state surrounded by water, but I can't swim and don't like beaches. [smile]

jwsqrdplus2

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #16 
I'll play!

1, and she will be 18 on Wed!

2 total.  Our other daughter plays softball and basketball.  She is currently playing for her high school on both the freshman and JV teams.  It will make for an extremely long basketball season with twice as many games.  She was also been identified by the Duke TIP program as an exceptional student back in 7th grade.  She is incredibly smart!

Did you dance as a kid? 

It took ballet for a year, maybe more, but it did not stick.

Where do you live? 

Midwest (Missouri)

In year 15 of class and year 12 of comp now

I love reading, crossword and other word puzzles, and I adore cooking!

Yes.  We are in college audition mode right now

Softball and Basketball mom! I actually retired from my military career several years ago, but I am currently looking to get back into the work force, but on my terms!

I was the first female from the Dallas Public Schools to attend a military service academy.

LilMama

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #17 
Quote:

How many dancers do you have in the family? How old are they? Just one soon to be 8 years old girl.

How many kids in total? Anything you want to share about your non dancing kids, activities, achievements Etc? Only have one kid. She did a whole bunch of activities including art, swimming, rhythmic gymnastics and figure skating before she fully commit to dance this year.

Did you dance as a kid? Very briefly. Still have the video tape of my recital somewhere.

Where do you live? Toronto, Canada.

How many years has your dancer been taking classes? Almost 6 years.

Do you have any other hobbies? Online shopping and I watch a lot of garbage TV lol

Does your dancer aspire to a professional career in Dance? No, she said she wants to be either a doctor or lawyer. I think she just said that to please me :$

Do you have a career outside of being a full time dance mom? Nope.

I have lived in different countries and am fluent in 4 languages.

disneymom2two

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #18 
How many dancers do you have in the family? How old are they? Just 1, she's 11

How many kids in total? Anything you want to share about your non dancing kids, activities, achievements Etc? I have 2.  My son is 18, just made Dean's list at Johnson and Wales University. 

Did you dance as a kid? I took tap and ballet for a couple months and left every class crying when I was about 5.  I hated it and got yelled at a lot.

Where do you live? New England

How many years has your dancer been taking classes? 4 years at this studio.  2 years at a Chinese dance school when she was 4 and 5.

Do you have any other hobbies? traveling, scrapbooking

Does your dancer aspire to a professional career in Dance? no

Do you have a career outside of being a full time dance mom? special ed teacher

Something else interesting about yourself? I love traveling (although I am glad we don't travel to dance comps more than a couple of hours away).
dmjrm4

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #19 
How many dancers do you have in the family? How old are they? 1 DD is 13

How many kids in total? Anything you want to share about your non dancing kids, activities, achievements Etc? I have 2 children.  DS15 in a violinist, and plays lacrosse and wrestling.  He complains a lot about how much $ our family spends on DD's dance.  Unfortunately he knows, no matter how many activities he did, it couldn't compare to what we pay for dance.  We told him we wanted him to pay half for a car when he turns 16.  He asked us why since we spend the cost of a new car on DD's dance every year.  I lost my words for a few minutes because he was right.

Did you dance as a kid? Just with my friends in my basement!

Where do you live? Mountain West

How many years has your dancer been taking classes? 11 years, but this is only her third year doing competition dance.

Do you have any other hobbies? Sitting in dark dance competition auditoriums for days on end.....

Does your dancer aspire to a professional career in Dance? Yes.  She would like to be a commercial dancer in LA or double major in Dance and Business at an elite college.  (I'm hoping she goes for the college path rather than the commercial path.  From my lips to God's ears.....)

Do you have a career outside of being a full time dance mom? Yes, I work full-time as a Director of Human Resources.  I think it's very interesting that four people who have responded to this survey work in HR.  I am very thankful for flexibility in my job because I feel like running my DDs dance "career" is almost another full-time job.  Her calendar alone is the most intricate puzzle, thank goodness for Outlook Calendar that keeps us on track every night and every weekend with her dance adventures.

Something else interesting about yourself? I used to turn my nose up at parents that had their kids involved in extreme sports that ran the families lives.  Now I am one of those Moms.  I just never imagined how much I would change based on my DD's passions.  I will do anything to help her in dance because her commitment to dance is like nothing I have experienced.  I try to laugh at myself regularly about becoming a crazy dance mom.  I do love that it has given us this incredible bond and outlet to spend so much time together even though she's a teenager.  When I was a teenager, I hardly spent any time with my Mom, it was all about friends, so I'll gladly take this intense time with her before I send her across the country when she graduates and leaves the nest.
Jerseyboymom

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #20 
Enjoyed reading these!

How many dancers in the family? Just one,DS16. He's an only.

Did you dance as a kid? No. I have sung since I was little and focused on music. I only danced in show choir (think "Glee.") [smile] Dance world was totally new to us when DS started.

Where do you live? New Jersey, in a suburban/rural county that was just voted the most beautiful in the state! Very green and farm-y.

How many years has your dancer been taking classes? This is his 12th year, 9th year competing.

Do you have any other hobbies? Running, singing, baking, shopping, and eating.

Does your dancer aspire to a professional career in dance? No, but he would like to be an actor.

Do you have a career outside of being a full-time dance mom? I'm not even a full-time dance mom, because my DH does everything. [smile] But yes, I'm a market research director. So I write questionnaires like this, sort of!

Something else interesting about yourself? I was a sportswriter in college and considered that as a career. I have a lot of friends who are journalists, and I'm glad I didn't go that route.
threedancingdaughters

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #21 
2 dancers currently: 8 years old and 3 years old 

3 daughters in our family.  Youngest DD is only 1, so not much for activities yet!  Her latest accomplishment is learning that a cat says meow [smile]

Did you dance as a kid?
Yes.  I danced from 5th grade through a couple years in college.  Mostly recreational classes, high school JV dance team, learned some basic tap for a musical, and college dance team (a smaller school, nothing too impressive).

Where do you live?
MN

DD8 is in her fourth year dancing, 2nd year competing.
DD3 is in her second year of rec class.  Last year was a toddler creative movement type class, this year is a preschool combo class - ballet and tap

photography, scrapbooking, camping/travel (although not as much as I'd like!)

Not really, but my dancers are all younger.  DD8 changes what she wants to be almost daily.

Yes, work full-time in pharmacy

I took Calculus 2 in college just for fun.  Wasn't required but I found calc 1 really fascinating and wanted to learn more. Yes I'm a huge nerd!
crafty1

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #22 
How many dancers do you have in the family? How old are they? DD15 does not dance any more, but danced for 7 years, competed for 5. She ran cross country for the first time this fall, and is starting conditioning for track and field.

How many kids in total? Anything you want to share about your non dancing kids, activities, achievements Etc? 2 kids total - both daughters. DD21 lives at home, goes to community college, and has a beautiful singing voice. She loves acting, is great with stage makeup, and also crochets. She is presently in a community theater show.

Did you dance as a kid? Ha! No. Took one 6 week disco dancing class through the park district when I was about 14. Before that I was so shy I never wanted to do anything.

Where do you live? Near west suburbs of Chicago.

How many years has your dancer been taking classes? As I said, 7 total, 5 competing.

Do you have any other hobbies? Driving my kids around, and I love doing puzzle books, reading, and I'm crafty, so I just had my last craft fair of the year. I make Christmassy items.

Does your dancer aspire to a professional career in Dance? No, she never did. Maybe a dance studio owner but now she wants to be a puppeteer.

Do you have a career outside of being a full time dance mom? I am the Senior Accountant for a local municipality.

Something else interesting about yourself? My mom forced me to take any recreational class when I was a kid at the local park. I took baton. I used to be able to toss and catch it. Haven't tried in years.
randomusername

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #23 
How many dancers do you have in the family? How old are they? 13 year old daughter, going on 18.

How many kids in total? Anything you want to share about your non dancing kids, activities, achievements Etc? 2 in total - 10 year old son, loves hockey and video games.  

Did you dance as a kid? Yes, I danced at a small studio from about 7-16, competitive but not serious.  A few drop in classes and workshops as an adult. I'm still in contact with everyone on my old dance team.  

Where do you live? Just outside Toronto.

How many years has your dancer been taking classes? Various rec classes since age 3, joined competitive team at age 10.

Do you have any other hobbies? I enjoy gardening and cooking in my mind, meaning I like the idea of it, but if you're terrible at it, does it count as a hobby?  I also think I like to sew, but the sewing machine I bought is still in its packaging.

Does your dancer aspire to a professional career in Dance? Nope.  She's enjoying it right now, and I'm enjoying keeping her busy.

Do you have a career outside of being a full time dance mom? I'm a GM for a distribution centre on the other side of Toronto (3 hours in a car daily - thank goodness for podcasts)

Something else interesting about yourself?  I hate my username but am unable to change it, and even if I could I don't have anything creative.  I'm a minimalist/purger in a house full of pack rats.  I don't watch a lot of tv, so I've never seen the shows everyone talks about. I have never purchased a lottery ticket, or purchased a pair of socks for myself.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.