Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
sylya

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #1 
Hi all,

DS went to a Radix convention last year and really wants to go again but the trouble right now is that Maddie Ziegler was one of Brian Friedman's assistent's last year at the Radix convention we went to. DS was obsessed with the class, talked about it for weeks afterwards. But she isn't going to be there for the convention near our hometown. 

We generally do 1 convention out of state, which doubles as a family vacation (hubby and i are lucky with are work commitments so we can afford the time off). Now DS wants to wait with choosing which convention to go to until he knows that Maddie Ziegler will be there to (i think he has a little crush [wink]

I called Radix to ask if they knew when Maddie would be there but they told me they couldn't be sure because of her other work commitments. She isn't the teacher so the class will be given either way which is why the convention doesn't need to know if she will be there persé. Now i really don't mind waiting until he decides where he wants to go but i don't want him to be disappointed when she has to pull out last minute, which is a real possibility. 

PS. i have to say this because i see a lot of negativity towards Maddie which i think is misdirected. The time we went last year she was a total sweetheart, she signed autographs, took pictures and was very happy to chat with the kids. She had a busy day doing all the different rooms and classes but she showed no attitude whatsoever and i saw her have great fun with some of the teen girls. I had some doubt about her because of the things i had heard, some of it on here but she really made my sons day.
dance010

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #2 
We love Maddie! DD danced with her and Kalani recently at Millennium Dance Complex in Los Angeles. They are both total sweethearts!
sarahannexo

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #3 
To answer your question, it depends on what you’re trying to get out of it. It felt like an excessive amount of time went to opening number rehearsals rather than classes, and because it’s also a competition, there is a lot of focus on the competition. It’s mandatory for us to attend one because our studio is requiring it, but it’s not my favorite. I feel like this is our most expensive with our least amount of actual class time.

Also, we went to the Pittsburgh one last year and no Ziegler girls, but we’re a very close distance to their stepfathers company.. so my guess is they really are booked up girls.
jule425

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #4 
We went to Radix last year as a team, and there were no opening number rehearsals. My daughter received a core performer runner-up scholarship, which did not take away from class. The senior level core performer finalists did have one lunchtime rehearsal, but otherwise, they were in class from 8ish to 2:30 on Saturday and 8ish to 3:30 on Sunday. Solo, duet/trio competition was on Friday with groups being on Saturday after 4 PM. Radix is pretty much run like a Break the Floor convention. (Jump, 24/7, NUVO)

To answer the original question, I honestly don't think you can determine if Maddie will be there in advance. 

dncemom01

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #5 
If your only reason for going to a convention is the hope of seeing a celebrity then maybe you have answered your own question. It’s great that he had such a good experience the first time meeting her but for me paying for a weekend at a convention and going because my kid has a crush doesn’t make much financial sense.
sylya

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #6 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dncemom01
If your only reason for going to a convention is the hope of seeing a celebrity then maybe you have answered your own question. It’s great that he had such a good experience the first time meeting her but for me paying for a weekend at a convention and going because my kid has a crush doesn’t make much financial sense.

That is really not why, we always do an out of state convention (so he can dance with kids other than just the kids in his area) and we go to many in our area. We don't go just because she might be there, it's just an extra, we go there so ds can learn from all the amazing teachers that are there. I just don't think it's wrong for a 10 year old to be excited about going when someone he really likes will be there and financially it doesn't matter since we go to 1 out of state anyway. I just didn't want to get my sons hopes up and then end up with him being sad because she isn't there.
momcrew

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #7 
I've seen Dusty Button as guest faculty at the last couple of Radix conventions so I definitely think it would be worth it, especially if she pops up at more. 
dncemom01

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #8 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sylya

That is really not why, we always do an out of state convention (so he can dance with kids other than just the kids in his area) and we go to many in our area. We don't go just because she might be there, it's just an extra, we go there so ds can learn from all the amazing teachers that are there. I just don't think it's wrong for a 10 year old to be excited about going when someone he really likes will be there and financially it doesn't matter since we go to 1 out of state anyway. I just didn't want to get my sons hopes up and then end up with him being sad because she isn't there.

If you feel like he would only be happy going and would be upset or sad if Maddie isn’t there then you’ve answered your own question. Pick a different convention if it’s all about the teachers or plan on radix anyways and just tell him she isn’t coming. I guess I don’t understand your question, you asked if Radix is worth it and that your son would be disappointed if Maddie wasn’t there.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.