Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
Phx115

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #1 
Has anyone's child participated in the Clara audition for this production? Or, performed as a Clara?

It says height max of 4'10, but ability to look 14. Although, looking at the pictures from last year's auditions, lots of the dancers looked taller than 4'10.

We are already going to be in NY for a long weekend, and DD said it would be "fun." Since her confidence has dropped this year, I don't want to put her into a position where she'll be out of her element.
ballerinamom13

PREMIUM MEMBER
Reply with quote  #2 
If you look at Alexandra Hoffman's (alexandra.hoffmann) Instagram, she has a video of part of the show.  I don't think it's her in the video, because it's from 2017.   I think she did it for 2015 and 2016.   It's not very long, but may give you an idea.
PasDeChatMom

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #3 
She should definitely audition - there are a lot of girls in there but it is such a neat experience (I've been told). My daughter danced with the Alexandra that ballerinamom13 mentioned when Lexie was Clara in 2016 and we flew out to NYC to see her. She took us on a backstage tour and during the tour she said yes they were strict about the height - some of them grow a little between auditions and showtime, though. I've known probably a dozen dancers that have auditioned and they were all under the height requirement.
PasDeChatMom

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #4 
Have you seen these videos?

nyklane

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #5 
Good luck!  My DD is no where near pointe or we'd certainly try.  Looks fun.  Sadly I think my DD at 8 is already that height and growing strong.. likely will be way to tall by the time she is ready for pointe....  
DanceMommy2Riley

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #6 
My DD auditioned when she was 11. She was just at the height limit of 4'10 at the time she auditioned. She only auditioned the one year, as she grew like a weed the following year and was over the height limit. When she was there, I would say that she was the average height. There wasn't anybody taller than her (or significantly taller anyways - not of noticeable difference). Good luck to your DD! My kiddo had so much fun in NY and at the audition!! 😉
Phx115

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #7 
Thanks everyone!

The videos are great! What an experience just to even take part in the audition! It is one of those things she can say she did.

She's 4'9 and being shorter was a bummer for her when it came to casting Nutcracker at her home studio last Fall. She's actually happy she's not too tall for this.
PasDeChatMom

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #8 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phx115
Thanks everyone!

The videos are great! What an experience just to even take part in the audition! It is one of those things she can say she did.

She's 4'9 and being shorter was a bummer for her when it came to casting Nutcracker at her home studio last Fall. She's actually happy she's not too tall for this.

If my daughter were eligible we’d absolutely do it for the experience! Merde!
PasDeChatMom

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #9 
I believe they choose 3 Claras each year as there are so many shows.
Suzit42

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #10 
Go for it!! No regrets right?
shan860

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #11 
My DD is too tall at 5'2'' but her BFF auditioned last year and had an amazing experience and made it to the final round. She planned on auditioning again this year but she fractured her foot and is in a boot [frown]
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #12 
The also chose Clara's for the shows in other locations aside from NYC, so there are several who are selected aside from the 3 or 4 for the NYC show. I think it could be a fun experience! 
PasDeChatMom

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #13 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tendumom
The also chose Clara's for the shows in other locations aside from NYC, so there are several who are selected aside from the 3 or 4 for the NYC show. I think it could be a fun experience! 

Ohh that’s right, I forgot about that.
Phx115

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #14 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PasDeChatMom

Ohh that’s right, I forgot about that.

I know they tour to Detroit. LOL!
5678StarMom

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #15 
They haven't toured for at least 3 years I believe. I saw them in St. Louis when my oldest was 8 and it was amazing, and so I've looked the last few years for tour dates to go again. Under their FAQs on the website it says they don't tour anymore and you have to go to NYC to see the spectacular. [frown]

https://www.rockettes.com/faq/
5678StarMom

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #16 
http://www.dancemagazine.com/rockettes-touring-troupe-folds-2306957075.html

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/theater-arts/rockettes-touring-company-shutter-kicking-dancers-article-1.2106421

There's surprisingly little about the touring company folding. They last tour year they did was 2014. I found another blurb about it under the history of the rockettes on their website.
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #17 
That's too bad! I remember when a local gal was Clara in Nashville or something like that.
emmymom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #18 
Local dancer and former SYTYCD winner Amy Yakima was Clara in the national touring production and in NYC.  
classydance

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #19 
DD did the Radio City audition and had a good experience but do be warned, when she did it the adults were nice but not really sensitive.  They do about 3 cuts. The first seems to be pointe proficiency-can you get over your box, are you strong encough.  They go in for maybe 30 min and then about 50% come back in. There was crying. The stage manager just glibbly said to the whole room, "Well that's show business. We can't take everyone." They don't really have kids themselves and are kind of clueless. 

Then they did more cuts.  The atmosphere in the waiting room with the parents was pretty tense. 

Not saying this to put a damper on anything but it can turn sour and do remember that casting is not always about the best dancers. 

It's a good professional experience. 

ballerinamom13

PREMIUM MEMBER
Reply with quote  #20 
"remember that casting is not always about the best dancers."

This - like any performance or show - they are looking for who best fits their idea of Clara.
momcrew

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #21 
How did it go this weekend? Did she have fun? 
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.