Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
mamma2dancegrl

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #1 
My daughter went to her first Nuvo convention this weekend and had a great time. She was disappointed after the audition though - when we came back into the room she (and 2 others from her studio) reported that they didn't get a chance to do the audition combo in a small group). Is that because she didn't get noticed or did they just miss some kids given the sheer number of kids packed into the room? Thanks in advance - hard to know what happens when your only report is from a 7 year old!
dancermom128

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #2 
The smaller group is a call back. It's only for kids that they are still considering for Break out Artist. It's possible they weren't noticed and it's possible they were noticed and just not chosen. Typically there are 3 call back groups. First everyone does it, then some kids get called to do ballet (if you don't you are already out). Then there is a callback jazz group for those they aren't sure of. There is also a call back group for those that they are completely sure of. And finally in most cities there is one final small group of the kids being considered for winners. Hope that helps. I did just notice that your child is only 7 so they may not have as many call back groups but regardless the format would be similar as in you are only called to a small group if you are being considered for break out artist.
LilMama

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #3 
DD is also 7 and she wasn't even sure she got auditioned at all which drives me kind of crazy lol even though I didn't expect her to win anything.
JojosDanceMom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #4 
The format of the audition is a lot like a big class.  They do their combos and the teachers call out the standouts.  At 7, not really being familiar with the Nuvo audition format, it's most likely that they didn't even realize that they were auditioning rather than doing another class.  But when they're in the audition they're being auditioned, like dancermom128 said, the small groups are for the dancers that stood out and the judges want to see again.
dancermom128

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #5 
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilMama
DD is also 7 and she wasn't even sure she got auditioned at all which drives me kind of crazy lol even though I didn't expect her to win anything.

If she was in the room she would have to have auditioned unless she missed her number. For example, they will call numbers 1-10 to come out and do the combo. They wouldn't skip a number as they are calling them in order at that point. Groups of say 10 dancers are called out until everyone has gone. They may only get to dance once. They may dance 3-4 times.
JojosDanceMom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #6 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dancermom128
If she was in the room she would have to have auditioned unless she missed her number. For example, they will call numbers 1-10 to come out and do the combo. They would skip a number as they are calling them in order at that point. Groups of say 10 dancers are called out until everyone has gone. They may only get to dance once. They may dance 3-4 times.

And this is where it can get confusing... some teachers during the weekend will use the numbers to break out the groups just for space in the regular classes.  So a young dancer, new to the audition process, may have thought it was just part of the class... and that getting called out into one of the standout groups was the actual audition.  So, if they didn't get called out, then they thought they didn't audition.
jemn

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #7 
How was the convention? My 10-year-old really wanted to go, but we had too much going on this weekend (other daughter's birthday). 

LilMama

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #8 
I forgot where did I read that Nuvo don't audition kids under 8 years old in the mini room. So I guess that's a false statement then?
dancermom128

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #9 
Quote:
I forgot where did I read that Nuvo don't audition kids under 8 years old in the mini room. So I guess that's a false statement then?

Not sure where you read that. Maybe you read the newbies don't audition? But minis are able to audition for breakout artist.
LilMama

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #10 
Quote:

Not sure where you read that. Maybe you read the newbies don't audition? But minis are able to audition for breakout artist.

Don't quote me on this but I believe I read it somewhere on here that Nuvo is strict about their audition age.
dancermom128

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #11 
Quote:

Don't quote me on this but I believe I read it somewhere on here that Nuvo is strict about their audition age.

Yes, well then that would have been incorrect I guess. I mean you had a mini at NUVO last weekend correct?
dancermom128

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #12 
Ok so you had a 7 year old in the mini room? That explains it. 7 is technically a Nubie. Children under 8 don't audition.
dancingpeanut

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #13 
Quote:
Ok so you had a 7 year old in the mini room? That explains it. 7 is technically a Nubie. Children under 8 don't audition.

Yep, this is why, NUVO only does scholarships for dancers 8-19, http://gonuvo.com/scholarships. Teachers may opt to put dancers in rooms different than where they are placed by age guidelines, but they can't do the scholarship auditions in those rooms so while they will permit a 7 year old in the mini room, they can't audition. Dancers 7 and under also pay $70 less for the weekend and get a free observer band.
dancermom128

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #14 
And to the OP... Was your 7 year old also in the mini room? If so, she didn't audition because she was too young. I would advise any parent bringing a dancer to a convention, read the rules beforehand. Everything is pretty well spelled out and you won't have any surprises come up if you're informed ahead of time.
LilMama

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #15 
Quote:

Correct. That's what I thought.
dancermom128

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #16 
Quote:

Correct. That's what I thought.

Not sure where your confusion was. You stated you were upset you thought she didn't audition.
JojosDanceMom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #17 
Ahhh... yes, that makes sense.  DD didn't do any of the BTF conventions until she was in the teen room, so I never remember the ages for the younger ages.  But if age 7 is technically a nubie, and not a mini, then that would be why a 7 year old didn't audition.  They may be allowed to take the higher age convention classes, but the auditions follow the age guidelines strictly.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.