Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 2 of 2      Prev   1   2
prancer

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #26 
Sorry Joribelle, BTF is Break the Floor conventions (NUVO, Jump, 24/Seven). 

You are so right - as long as they are improving it's good! The end game is still a long time off!
I really hope your dancer does wonderfully in her new shoes! Sounds like you found a pair she likes.  
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #27 
The thing many people do not understand about Freeds is they actually have a wide range of styles and types of shoes. There is something for everyone. The classics are usually the ones people talk about as they stock shoe has a softer shank than a Grishko or RP, but they have MUCH harder shanks and boxes too. Remember that entire companies wear these, SI there has to be something for everyone. When dd came out of Grishkos, she was in the Studio Pro, aharder shoe usually than classics. Same for Classic Pros. Problem is that you need a store with a wide variety and that is hard to find. If you are in NYC, the place to really try them is the Long Island City warehouse, 15 minutes from Manhattan on the subway.

5678StarMom

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #28 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynmckee

She needs to rotate at least 2 pairs of shoes (preferably 3).  They need to totally dry out between uses and it sounds like that isn't happening.  Get anti-perspiration spray (not deodorant) for her to spray her feet with before each class.  There are these little talcum powder packets that we get here that you put in your shoes after use to help them dry out (I can't find them online...it's weird.)

My dd blows out her box way before her shanks are done because she is a sweaty foot person too.

I've tried to get her to rotate and she resists soooo much! I do have her dry them, but I don't think they get all the way dry. She's resisting the packets in shoes too, and talc. I've provided all of it. Annoying teenagers and them knowing everything [wink] I will definitely look for the spray antiperspirant. I've read that before and totally forgotten about that tip. We definitely need to try something!
Bonbonmama

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #29 
True, Tendumom, and out of all the models and makers of Freed there was ONE that worked for DD (classic Pro hard in an unavailable maker that we were waitlisted for at the NY flagship store). She tried all the suggestions from BTFD for "if you like this maker, try THIS" and so on. [smile] I'm not sad at all that Freeds turned out not to be for her. [wink] I do think they look beautiful on a lot of dancers!!

Not that her Mirellas are any better for longevity, those things are in reality too soft for her and she kills them too fast. Suffolks and RPs have a little more staying power, for my dancer. It could be totally different for someone else! [smile]

So true about the aging up, in any competition. DD started competing being the youngest (generally) in the age group she is still competing in (teen). I would expect everything to go up a notch for Senior division next year. Looking at just my own dancer, the difference between her 2years ago at age 13 and now at age 15 is HUGE.
joriebelle

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #30 
Quote:
Originally Posted by oatmella
Joriebelle - hope the new shoes feel and look good for your dd! I'm wondering about the benefits of Freed - I have heard they are supposed to be very quiet. I don't know much else about them other than many professionals wear them.

Thanks!  She really likes them but said they are a little big so I ordered another pair from ebay that are a half size smaller plus a size thinner.  The fitter should have noticed that but DD should have as well.  She's still wearing them, with 2 pairs of toe pads though.
ballerinamom13

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #31 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonbonmama
True, Tendumom, and out of all the models and makers of Freed there was ONE that worked for DD (classic Pro hard in an unavailable maker that we were waitlisted for at the NY flagship store). She tried all the suggestions from BTFD for "if you like this maker, try THIS" and so on. [smile] I'm not sad at all that Freeds turned out not to be for her. [wink] I do think they look beautiful on a lot of dancers!! Not that her Mirellas are any better for longevity, those things are in reality too soft for her and she kills them too fast. Suffolks and RPs have a little more staying power, for my dancer. It could be totally different for someone else! [smile] So true about the aging up, in any competition. DD started competing being the youngest (generally) in the age group she is still competing in (teen). I would expect everything to go up a notch for Senior division next year. Looking at just my own dancer, the difference between her 2years ago at age 13 and now at age 15 is HUGE.

Sooner or later, you have to learn to dance in more than one maker and/or type of shoe.  DD had to wear custom Freeds from 12 on because she has the skinniest heel fitters had seen.  No other non-custom shoe would work.  If you dance with a company that wears Freeds, you will wear Freeds...It's in dd's contract and probably most Company contracts.

Edited - had to go because someone came in my office...oooops.  Sooner or later, girls learn that the shoe doesn't make the dancing.  Control and strength of the foot is what's important.  As that happens, the shoe gets less important.  It still needs to fit correctly, but it gets less important.  Also, once you are actually under contract, you can get whatever you want and have them customized however you want, so you really learn what is more comfortable AND pretty after getting some help from the Shoe Manager on what's best.  That's one of the reasons companies use Freeds - they will do whatever they are asked as far as customization goes.

I think a teacher at an SI told DD to get over not having the perfect shoe and to learn to use her feet - that's when she realized it wasn't such a big deal.  She was probably 15 by then.  I stressed about finding the right maker constantly until that point, when she started wearing 3 or 4 different makers.  
meatball77

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #32 
Quote:
Originally Posted by joriebelle

Thanks!  She really likes them but said they are a little big so I ordered another pair from ebay that are a half size smaller plus a size thinner.  The fitter should have noticed that but DD should have as well.  She's still wearing them, with 2 pairs of toe pads though.

Did you sew them before you had them approved by the teacher?  I'm worried that her shoes are that much too big and you're allowing her to dance in them.
judie

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #33 
DD now wears Gaynors but uses Russian Luminas for back up. She breaks shanks very easily and has high arches and extremely long toes. Almost a true banana foot. She loves the Gaynors because of the paddin in the toe. I would not call them cheater shoes at all. They just provide a very different level of support for her that we did not encounter with any other shoe. With both brands she has to be in the hard shank, which is very difficult to find and has to be special ordered. We had to go to NY to have her fitted for Gaynors. The fitter in Chicago has her in one style and she really needed the other. Her next pair may have to be custom made because I now have to sew elastic in at the arch to keep her from rolling out.
joriebelle

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #34 
Quote:
Originally Posted by oatmella
ballerinamom13 - thanks for the info about freeds! They seem so mysterious with the different symbols/makers [smile] Joriebelle - hopefully the Russian pointes will work out well once you get the size sorted out. According to the Russian pointe website, the muse is their 'roomiest' style so maybe your dd would want to try the Rubin too (has some similar features as muse but less roomy).

That was the model I originally wanted to try but at the store we went to they didn't have them in her size.  I think we'll try another store.  They are only slightly big and she is dancing fine in them but I don't think we'll get another pair of the Muse.  Thanks for the info; that is good to know!
ballerinamom13

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #35 
http://www.freeddirect.com/advice/

oatmella - This is a link to the chart on the Freed website showing box strength and platform for each maker.  It seemed overwhelming to me at first, but once you look at the chart and talk to the amazing fitters in the Long Island store, it becomes easier.  

I'm obviously not saying all kids need to be in Freeds. I'm saying if you don't want to spend the money for a child with a still growing foot, but want the perfect shoe for a competition or a show AND you have the opportunity to be fitted, it's worth it.  And if other shoes are working and look good, there is no reason to change when they are young.
SiberianSwanPointeShoes

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #36 
Hello dear dancers!
We are a new brand of pointe shoes on the market, working directly with the schools, and companies

Siberian Swan, you may like it. 
http://www.siberianswan.com/

https://www.facebook.com/siberianswan/

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation: