Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
dancemom0987

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #1 
So ... my daughter will be starting pointe after Christmas break (yay for her but not my wallet!) She will be doing a 1 and 1/2 hour pointe class each week along with 3 hours of full ballet classes on pointe (after a couple months of beginner pointe, she currently does it in ballet flats). DD's ballet instructor also told her students that they could do some or all of their regular ballet classes on pointe, especially if they are competing at YAGP
(which my daughter is not this year). Should a pointe beginner do these classes on pointe to get used to it or take it slow and not do them?
meatball77

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #2 
She should spend at least a month just doing pointe in pointe class.  Then she can add some during barre time.
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #3 
Take it slow.

It's a little concerning that they can just jump right into full classes without having spent some time in dedicated classes where they move from the Barre to 2 footed work to finally working on one foot (like releves in arabesque and pirouettes). There's a lot to be said for working gradually with mastery in ballet, just like they do in flat shoes.

If she is at a very small school, there just may not be enough students for an appropriate level, but one would hope the teacher will be conscious and give modifications for the new pointe students
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #4 
That sounds like a recipe for disaster to me.  Too much too soon.  Learning pointe is more than just putting on a pair of pointe shoes.  It's a long process.  If this is indeed how it's done... and you  haven't just misunderstood... I'd be very concerned. 
dancemom0987

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #5 
Thanks for the responses! [smile] I guess I misunderstood what my daughter was saying because I recieved an email from the instructor and she cannot do these extra classes on pointe right away anyways.
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #6 
That makes more sense. [smile] 

Hold on to your wallet in the upcoming search for the "perfect shoe!" LOL. Their understanding of what it is all about keeps changing, their feet keep changing, and their needs keep changing.. to say nothing of a little more growth of the foot and the short life span of the shoes in general. Fun times! [biggrin]
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.