Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
lilkeebler1

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #1 
This year my daughters DT and SO wanted her to use props for her solo. We ended up having to pay a prop rental fee but then were told we would have to decorate it ourselves. We spent about $75 on paint and other details. At the end of the season we have to return the prop.

Is that how it's usually done??
MyGirlsDance

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #2 
When my nieces danced (they've both graduated HS now), if there was a prop for a group routine, the studio would create/buy the prop and the cost would be divided by numbers of dancers in the routine. At the end of the year the parents would receive a final accounting of expenses for their child which would include their portion of any prop costs. Props for a solo or duo/trio basically worked the same way. The teacher might know from the beginning that she wanted a prop in the routine, or after discussion with the dancer, might decide later on to add a prop. In either case, the teacher would buy or create the prop and add it to the dancer's expenses. I can't recall any time that my nieces purchased a prop. The only things they might buy (and keep) were costume or hair accessories.

I don't think it's odd to potentially pay a fee for a studio owned prop. I'm more surprised they're ok with letting someone else decorate it and return it. But I guess they will just let the next dancer pay out of pocket to re-decorate for their routine.

I wouldn't be happy about it. Good luck! 
lilkeebler1

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #3 
Thanks...that makes sense. They told us in the beginning they wanted her to use the prop and what the rental fee was going to be. Then about a week before comp they gave it to us and told us we had to paint it and how they wanted to look. We were confused because we originally thought the rental fee was going to cover getting it prepped. Since we were short on time and knew our daughter needed it we just ran out and got the supplies and did it. They had requested we buy "floor paint" so it wod be slip resistant but its only sold by the gallon so it was a little expensive. Now we are nearing the end of the season and I am little sad we have to give it back. My husband and I did a good job ha ha. It also has stones and spray paint etc.
elastigal

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #4 
Our groups work the same in that the studio arranges the props for groups (either a carpenter builds them or a handy dance parent) and all costs are split amongst the dancers in the routine. If possible the SO might be able to sell a prop and then the profit goes toward that group for another years prop. For solos/duos, the dancer's family is in charge of sourcing/buying/decorating and transporting the prop. The studio is not involved in that. Everything is bought or made, never rented.
Mamala

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #5 
none of our dancers has ever paid a prop fee when a prop was used in a dance. 
tappinmom

Double Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #6 
Our studio took care of all props - sourcing and decorating.  It was the dancers responsibility to transport the prop.  A fee was charged for the use of the prop and then it went back to the studio at the end of the season.  If it was something that they already had in storage that only needed minor adjustments your fee would be less.
mom2dancinboyngirl

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #7 
For a group the fee for the props is divided up among all the dancers (it shows up as part of the costume fee). The prop at the end still belongs to the studio, so that makes it a rental fee. Usually for a solo we've been either asked to provide a certain prop that is wanted, or one is purchased and a fee is added to the costume bill. Sometimes we have borrowed a prop. 
LittleMonkeyMom

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #8 
Our studio uses a lot of props, and I have never seen the exact scenario you describe.

For groups, prop fees are included in the fees for the year.  Our production numbers always have big props, and some of our large/small groups do too.  Our teacher knows what she is planning to do when she sets prices for the year & she includes any props in those prices for all groups.

For solos/duets, a couple things might happen.  First, a solo/duet might need to purchase/create a brand new prop.  In that case, the dancer(s) would be responsible for all costs & would keep the prop when the season ends.  The other scenario is that the dance teacher might already have a prop that would work for the dancer(s).  In that case, the dancer(s) would be responsible for any changes (paint, stoning, etc.) that needed to happen, but there would be no rental fee & the prop would be returned to the dance teacher at the end of the season.
Celc9

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #9 
Our studio did a production this year for the first time and we had many props. Each dancer paid a fee to cover the cost of the props and the parents all spent time helping build and decorate. The props will stay st the studio to be used again.

My DD did a solo a couple years ago with a chair. I purchased and painted the chair. St the end of the season the SO offered to purchase it from me to keep at the studio. My DD wanted to keep the chair however we did let another dancer use it last season with no fee. Most solo props are provided and kept by the dancer unless it is something the studio already has.
judie

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #10 
We never paid for a prop. Ever. Helped build them, but never paid.
jwsqrdplus2

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #11 
Group dances that require props, the fee is spread between the group and the studio owns/keeps the prop.

S/D/T that require props, the dance families work with DTs to design/build/buy, etc.  Who ends up with prop at the end of the season just depends.  Sometimes it goes to the studio; sometimes back with a family.  Ash used a table for a prop in one of her solos this year, and my husband built her a very sturdy table (she danced on, over, under and around the table!).  We kept the table (my husband has plans for it in his workshop!) because we built the whole thing.  I do know the SOs would have loved to have it for use again in the future though.
my2miracles

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #12 
Never paid for a prop either.  They were property of the studio.  DD is using a prop for her solo this year & I may pay for it and donate it to the studio but that's just because I love her SO and want to support this start up studio.  They save me so much money and have supported dd in both dance and life so much.
Dancingemu

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #13 
For studio props when I was in dance and now, the studio always pays for the props that the studio keeps. Parents pay for those that the dancer keeps. No rental fees. For school dance team props, parents pay a rental fee and the school keeps the props. The props were built and decorated by the boosters with supplies paid for with the rental fees.
amandafarris03

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #14 
I really don't know how it works - but I know I've never paid a fee and sometimes props from older routines are revamped and used in different ways.  if it was a solo prop I assume you would need to cover that.  if the studio bought it for the soloist it's now the studio's property. 
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.