Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
Kayleemom9

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #1 
my daughter is 10 and is invited to prepointe. Is this too young?
Bonbonmama

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #2 
No, I would think that's a perfect age to start specific pre-pointe classes/exercises. Most of regular ballet class IS preparing them for pointe, but it's nice to have a special class where they really focus on certain foot exercises, perhaps teach them theraband stretches etc. most studios (if they offer pre-pointe as a special class) tends to have the girls do that for 1-2yrs before graduating to pointe shoes. [smile]
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #3 
Exactly. [smile]

Is she taking a minimum of 3 90 minutes classes each week? That would be a normal minimum for the year before beginning pointe. My dd started in a "prep for pointe" level at 9. She started pointe at 11, almost 2 years later. There was no specific "pre-pointe" class. The entire level was considered preparation for pointe as pointe work began in the next level.
meatball77

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #4 
It's fine for pre-pointe.  It's fine for pointe if she's an older ten year old who is strong with good feet who has been taking the recommended 30 90 minute classes for at least a year (and has three years of serious study before that).  My daughter started pre-pointe at ten (everyone else in her class went on pointe at that time but her teacher said even though her feet were super strong she needed to be older) she went up at ten and a half very slowly and then was dancing very confidently a year later.  She was in classes last year whose teacher didn't go slowly with them at first and the difference is striking.  While I'm sure some of it is that my daughter won the genetic lottery when it comes to feet but more of it was how slowly and careful her early training was.

Do make sure that the early pointe training is done by someone who knows what they're doing.

jeanne4379

Triple Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #5 
Not too young for pre-pointe. How exciting.
dave9988

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #6 
No, not too young.   That's perfect to get prepped for pointe.

If you have concerns regarding pointe (after pre-pointe), check out IADMS and NYU/Harkness for more info.
https://www.iadms.org/page/185
Kayleemom9

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #7 
Thank you everyone![smile]
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation: