Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
Dancerfun

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #1 
Ok so it's nearly 10pm where I am. New pointe shoes (as in brand new - first pair ever!). Kids are supposed to sew their own ribbons and elastic. Things were going well... she was close to being done with 2nd shoe when my daughter (11) somehow accidentally pulls the drawstring through into the casing. Not just barely in the casing but a quarter of the way around the shoe. [frown] She's supposed to take these to class tomorrow for the first class since getting pointe shoes. She's freaking out. Not finding any good do it yourself tutorial fixes. Do I just need to run to the dance shop we purchased them from in the morning and hope they can fix it? Rough start to pointe shoes!
brizziemum

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #2 
First question - is the drawstring one complete one or sewn on at the back I.e has the other side shifted as well? Either option for rethreading ideally involves a short bodkin. A small safety pin could be used but tend to come undone and catch. The easiest way if one complete thread is to take it completely out and rethread it by inserting in to the bodkin and pulling it through - watch you don't pull it completely through. The other option that you have to use if it is secured at the heel is to put a small nick in the casing where the thread has got to and pull the end of the thread out and thread it on the bodkin and go from there. You could try feeding it through by manual pushing but I've only done that on very old shoes where the casing is thin. The YouTube videos I saw were reasonably helpful I thought - they suggest a plastic needle like you find in sewing kits for kids. Your dance store may be able to give you a dress maker who rethreads for them - not cheap. Good luck
Dancerfun

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #3 
Quote:
Originally Posted by brizziemum
First question - is the drawstring one complete one or sewn on at the back I.e has the other side shifted as well?
Either option for rethreading ideally involves a short bodkin. A small safety pin could be used but tend to come undone and catch.
The easiest way if one complete thread is to take it completely out and rethread it by inserting in to the bodkin and pulling it through - watch you don't pull it completely through.
The other option that you have to use if it is secured at the heel is to put a small nick in the casing where the thread has got to and pull the end of the thread out and thread it on the bodkin and go from there.
You could try feeding it through by manual pushing but I've only done that on very old shoes where the casing is thin.
The YouTube videos I saw were reasonably helpful I thought - they suggest a plastic needle like you find in sewing kits for kids.
You're dance store may be able to give you a dress maker who rethreads for them - not cheap.
Good luck

At this point, I think our best option is going to the store in the morning and just hoping it's a quick fix for them. [frown] Yes, it's one complete drawstring. It's pulled about a quarter of the way in. Im tempted to take it out completely and try the safety pin method... but very worried I'll just make it worse. So will just wait til morning and hope the store can fix it somewhat easily and affordably. Bad first experience. [frown]
5678StarMom

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #4 
Our pointe fitter store has the tools to re-thread a drawstring. It's happened to my DD before...but I fixed it myself. The fitter was shocked I managed, lol. I used a tiny Bobby pin and tied the drawstring, then worked it through the casing. It wasn't easy and I'm a pretty handy person at that stuff. I'd recommend talking to your store first.
dave9988

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #5 
We've rescued "lost" pointe shoe drawstrings with plastic "needles" meant for pulling strings and such (like hoodie drawstrings).  Available at sewing or craft stores.  But the dance store can also help, no big deal.  Some actually sell stand-alone drawstrings for dancers who want one with more or less elasticity.
Dancerfun

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #6 
Crisis avoided! Lol The dance shop was able to fix it for $3! Hooray!
joriebelle

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #7 
So glad you were able to get that fixed!  DD has never done that before but I'm sure I would have been in a panic!
Dancerfun

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #8 
Quote:
Originally Posted by joriebelle
So glad you were able to get that fixed!  DD has never done that before but I'm sure I would have been in a panic!

Yes, we were in full panic mode! Only cause she'd been sewing the pointe shoes for 7 hours (not exaggerating!!! But did have a 1.5 hour break in the middle) as it was her first time and teacher made it clear parents couldn't help them! Lol She took that to heart and wouldn't let me near her!!! Not that I could have helped anyway (no domestic skills here!). But the drawstring issue was unexpected! Thankfully it all worked out and her first class on pointe was amazing. Even if she was only en pointe for mere minutes. 😆😌
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #9 
Quote:
Only cause she'd been sewing the pointe shoes for 7 hours (not exaggerating!!!

LOL! I know you are definitely not exaggerating! There's a reason I used to help dd sewing her. Between dance, music and schoolwork, even though she was homeschooling by then, there were not enough hours in the day for her to sew her shoes completely by herself! Not at that age/stage of the game. I could sew multiple pairs in the time it took her to do one. When she'd prep to go away for an SI and would be taking 6 or more pairs of sewn shoes, She would do one pair while I did 5 pairs... at the same time. To tell the truth, now that she's not home, I miss those days. 

And, yes, we've had the drawstring issue more than once. First time was with flat shoes. I have a large needle for that purpose. 
Dancerfun

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #10 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tendumom

LOL! I know you are definitely not exaggerating! There's a reason I used to help dd sewing her. Between dance, music and schoolwork, even though she was homeschooling by then, there were not enough hours in the day for her to sew her shoes completely by herself! Not at that age/stage of the game. I could sew multiple pairs in the time it took her to do one. When she'd prep to go away for an SI and would be taking 6 or more pairs of sewn shoes, She would do one pair while I did 5 pairs... at the same time. To tell the truth, now that she's not home, I miss those days. 

And, yes, we've had the drawstring issue more than once. First time was with flat shoes. I have a large needle for that purpose. 

I never knew how difficult sewing those ribbons and elastic could be! Lol Luckily, she did a good job. So it may have taken 7 hours but at least the teacher didn't make her redo any of it like some of the kids! Whew. We survived our first pointe shoe crisis. [smile]
dave9988

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #11 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancerfun
I never knew how difficult sewing those ribbons and elastic could be! Lol Luckily, she did a good job. So it may have taken 7 hours but at least the teacher didn't make her redo any of it like some of the kids! Whew. We survived our first pointe shoe crisis. [smile]

They get better & faster at it!  My wife or I used to take one shoe, my DD the other. We'd complete all elastic and both ribbons by the time she had one ribbon done.  Last time she finished before I did and then took the shoe I was working on.  And yes, we still do pitch in, especially if working on multiple shoes and/or dealing with late dance/homework.

Dancerfun

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #12 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave9988

They get better & faster at it!  My wife or I used to take one shoe, my DD the other. We'd complete all elastic and both ribbons by the time she had one ribbon done.  Last time she finished before I did and then took the shoe I was working on.  And yes, we still do pitch in, especially if working on multiple shoes and/or dealing with late dance/homework.

Good to know it's still ok to help! Especially once the kids know what they are doing. I think the director just wants to ensure the kids know how to do it. But if in a crunch time, I'll certainly try to help... Though my DD 11 is already better at sewing/stitching than me! So maybe I better just stay out of it! Lol 😆
Bonbonmama

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #13 
Late to the party, glad you got it fixed!
DD did that to her very first pair of shoes. It took a while, but I fixed it using a large darning needle. Since that first pair I have way too much practice doing it since she likes elastic drawstrings and her preferred pointe shoes do not come with them... so I install them in each pair.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.