Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
musicmom

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #1 
DD is auditioning at Point Park next month. Should she audition en pointe? She would be  jazz or modern emphasis. Her pointe is okay and getting better since she dropped competition to focus on auditions, but she is not as good as regular ballet students. Will auditioning en pointe speak towards her willingness to try or expose her weaknesses? Thanks
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #2 
I think that is a tough question in some ways.

You have to keep in mind that ballet students at the college audition stage would be  dancing in pointe shoes 6 days a week for the last few years. Based on that alone, I would be concerned that it might show a weakness.

On the other hand, 2 of dd's friends auditioned for Point Park in the last 2 years. One is a freshman now and one is a sophomore, neither at Point Park though both were accepted. In all honesty, neither felt the level of ballet technique in the audition class was particularly high, but perhaps that is more of a reflection of there being dancers with hopes of concentrating in different genres all in the same class. 
nowmomto3

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #3 
My D auditioned last year at Point Park and she did do the pointe audition.  My D was typically very strong en pointe, but she was coming off a ligament tear in her ankle and had been in a boot for four weeks leading up to the Point Park audition. Timing [frown]  She didn't feel the pointe audition was very difficult even for her rehabbing ankle.

She was auditioning for the jazz track and did get in so I am guessing it didn't hurt her in any way.  She didn't end up choosing PP though.
pinnellmom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #4 
That is a very good question.  My DD just graduated with her degree in dance.  Her best skills were in tap and musical theatre and jazz.  She wanted to go to a school that focused on ballet and modern in order to work more in those areas.  With that said, when she had to audition she did in jazz or musical theatre.  In my opinion for the audition, you want to highlight your strengths.  They may not realize that is not her strength if that is what she chooses to audition for. Although they should be able to see some of her abilities since ballet is the basis of all dance. 
Psmom

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #5 
Keep in mind that they will know her dance background when they see her. Her audition number is linked to her dance application so for instance if she's #14 and dances 1 day a week in a 90 minute pointe class and dancer #15 dances 6 days a week exclusively in ballet they will know that and judge each dancer accordingly. At most of the auditions I'm familiar with they tell the dancers to change into their pointe shoes if they have them for that section They want to see all of your skills
nowmomto3

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #6 
At Point Park, the pointe portion of the audition is only about 15-20 minutes or less.  Last year, they finished the ballet portion of the audition and then they told the dancers who were going to do pointe to put their shoes on and do the audition. Everyone else had a break and then they began with the next section of the audition, I think jazz. 

At PP you audition in all three areas, ballet, jazz and modern, regardless of the concentration you are requesting.  When you are applying you put your first choice concentration, my D was jazz, but that doesn't mean that's where they will put you.  They tell you at the audition that if they feel ballet is your strength but you requested jazz, and they feel you wouldn't get in for jazz but could get in for ballet, they will put you in as a ballet concentration.  I don't know if they do this in practice or not, but that is what they tell you in the audition.

They also tell you that jazz is the hardest to get into.  They said that the majority of the applications are for jazz concentration. 

Good luck!!!

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.