Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
prancer

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #1 
For anyone who recognizes my posts, I have a 13 year old competitive dancer with no aspirations of becoming a ballerina.  She did go en pointe for about 6 months at the old studio and probably shouldn't have - couldn't get over her boxes. Her knees and ankles have definitely improved, so she achieves a straight line (I know straight isn't ideal, but its better!), and her feet are done growing. The new studio wants her to go en pointe now with the goal of further improving her technique.  The instructors are experienced professional ballerinas and are in agreement about this plan. I know I have been vocal about dd not enjoying pointe previously, but she is willing to try if it helps. Thoughts? 
dave9988

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #2 
Try it, maybe with new instructors, more strength, and better technique she'll enjoy it?
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #3 
My dd started pointe at 11. I think just being in the shoes, going up in them, etc, showed her how much you really do need to pointe through your ankle and foot. If they are truly going to move slowly and cautiously with her, at her age, she may have a better experience this time, especially if she wants to do it. If she doesn't want to, I wouldn't bother of course (and I know you wouldn't want to force her into something like this either). As a 13 year old, she's going to also have better control over her muscles and a better understanding of what she needs to do with her body. It might just work for her. [smile]
joriebelle

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #4 
Prancer, is she exciting about trying it?  Sounds exciting that the new instructors want her to try it!
prancer

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #5 
Thanks everyone. It's funny, she was so excited by the prospect the first time, because she had reached that dance milestone. This time she is still pretty cute about it. We had a fitting and found shoes she likes. (I have to watch a video to remember how to sew ribbons.). She put the shoes on last night and practiced some releves - wow it makes her tall! She thinks it will definitely strengthen her, and she wants to do it. She was excited enough to talk about getting ready for pointe class, which isn't for a few days yet, last thing before bed last night, so I think she is into it. Wish her luck.
dancemonkey

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #6 
More pointe and ballet will make her a better dancer! Good luck to her!
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.