Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
SpicyLuck

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #1 
What are they exactly? I understand enough that little kids don't do it because it developmentally inappropriate, but how do you determine readiness? The only schema I have is thinking there is some kind of wooden piece in the slipper. Sorry if that's ignorant, but I am curious as I see it's a Popular topic.
Midge

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #2 
ARe you asking about the shoes or what they do in class?  
rdsmom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #3 

There are alot more videos on youtube in addition to this one. As far as determining readiness, each it's up to the teacher, and each teacher is different as far as what they use to determine readiness. And some teachers are more qualified than others to make that determination. 
5678StarMom

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #4 
All ballet is technically pre-pointe. Classes in pre-pointe specifically usually are about strengthening feet and learning to prepare shoes, sometimes wearing pointe shoes at the barre for simple exercises. In my experience.
dave9988

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #5 
Are you talking about this?
https://www.theballetblog.com/portfolio/demi-pointe-shoes-necessary/
SpicyLuck

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #6 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midge
ARe you asking about the shoes or what they do in class?  

Both in a way. What is up with the shoes and is it essentially advanced ballet. Just curious about the basics.
threegirlpileup

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #7 
Lol I think studios have a class called pre-pointe to placate eager students and parents. As in, “we know you want to start pointe, but you’re not quite ready, this class is almost there, it won’t be long now!”
my2miracles

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #8 
In my experience at the studios DD has been at, pre-point classes are for those students who are close to being ready for point but aren't there yet.  The class focuses on exercise and moves (excuse my lack of ballet terms as I am not a dancer) that strengthen feet and ankles to prepare for point.  DD is at a tiny studio and is doing privates for this.  No one else in her ballet class (2 girls) is anywhere near point ready.
peachygreen98

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #9 

My daughters Pre-Pointe class is one of her most exhausting of the week.  45 minutes of tons of releves, core work and ankle/feet exercises with the theraband and tennis ball.  She follows it up with a regular ballet class and then as a complete change of pace finishes her night with a hip hop class where her calves are burning.  

I sometimes think the pre-pointe class is there to see who is really really serious about moving to pointe.  It's really not a "fun" class and is all work.  

tappinmom

Double Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #10 
We have never been to a studio that had a pre pointe class.  All ballet, if you are getting a proper class, is technically pre pointe.
tiptoemom

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #11 
@tappinmom, exactly. if you are receiving three quality 90 minute classes a week you are training for pointe work.
hopefuldancer17

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #12 
That was true for my daughter as well. The ballet classes were designed in length, frequency and content to prepare her for being en pointe one day.
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #13 
Dd was in a level that was described as "prep for pointe." The level after was described as "beginning pointe." So, no specific class. 
joriebelle

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #14 
We have no pre-pointe classes at my daughter's ballet school.  The SO decides individually when each girl is ready and then proceeds very slowly.  
dancingymnast

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #15 
DD is at a small studio, only about 15 girls in the company and they all take the same ballet classes. They have half an hour a week of “pointe” class, but only those who are already up are doing pointe, the rest (DD including) are doing “pre-pointe”, mostly ancle strengthening exercises. The DT also gave some exercises to DD to do at home. She said if DD does those exercises every day, she might be ready for pointe by the end of next year (not sure if she meant calendar year or end of next season). I’m in no rush though, this is only DD’s second year taking ballet.
2dornot2d

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #16 
Our studio has 3 ballet classes and 1 pointe class a week. We don't have pre-pointe class during Fall-Spring season. Pre-pointe class is offered in the summer so our ballet mistress can prep/assess younger kids and approve who are ready. The class is mostly ankle & foot strengthening exercises and barre class in flat shoes. 

I've asked our ballet teacher about demi pointe shoes. She said they are not helpful or necessary since you can't go up on pointe in them. 
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.