Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 3 of 3      Prev   1   2   3
JojosDanceMom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #51 
Quote:
Originally Posted by prancer
Nothing is more unnerving for my dd than going on stage to perform a dance with a section that she does not feel confident doing.  With that said, her solo has had lots of tweaks since learning it this summer.  Some tweaks have to been work around the limits of an injury, others have been to change a part that she felt uncomfortable with.  Her best performance (in mom's and teacher's and judge's opinion) this year was at the height of her injury with a notably simplified routine that she performed cleanly and confidently. In fact, as she is getting healthier, some of the simplifications are going to stay, because she feels more confident being able to deliver a polished performance.  

See, now in this scenario, how much better would she have felt at having the simplified routine from the start rather than having to have more difficult things removed because she couldn't do them yet (at least not comfortably)?  That's why it's better to start simple and increase difficulty rather than start complicated and decrease difficulty.  It's much better for them to feel like they're being rewarded for hard work by having the difficulty level increased than to feel like, after all their hard work, they just couldn't get it and had to have the routine simplified.  [smile]
Rushhourmom

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #52 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JojosDanceMom

See, now in this scenario, how much better would she have felt at having the simplified routine from the start rather than having to have more difficult things removed because she couldn't do them yet (at least not comfortably)?  That's why it's better to start simple and increase difficulty rather than start complicated and decrease difficulty.  It's much better for them to feel like they're being rewarded for hard work by having the difficulty level increased than to feel like, after all their hard work, they just couldn't get it and had to have the routine simplified.  [smile]

See the changing the expectation wouldn't feel like a reward for my dancer. It would feel like a constantly moving carrot. She likes knowing in the fall what she's dealing with for the whole season. It would make her crazy to have new stuff added or major changes made throughout the season. She likes measuring growth from first comp to last. She wouldn't be able to do that with stuff being added or changed. The one year she had a notably clean and simple solo with no challenges to work on she scored very very well but felt absolutely no growth over the season. So that doesn't work for her either. I think every kid is wired differently.
crafty1

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #53 
OP please remind your dancer that this is supposed to be fun! Make sure you tell her you are proud of her, before she dances, and after she leaves the stage. Don't worry about what the judges say. Maybe they were hungry or thirsty, or had to use the washroom, or had a hang nail or needed to sneeze. They are just people.

In my opinion, she shouldn't see the judges critiques if it shook her confidence. The DT should summarize them and tell her what they liked, and gently, what needs work. Also, discuss with the DT whether to change the routine or not (without your DD around). If my DD felt the routine was being changed to make it easier, she would have been upset that the DT did not have confidence in her.

Congratulations to your DD on 3rd overall. Also, I want to congratulate you for being open to all of this feedback.

Inspiredby3

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #54 
Lots of great responses! I know this post is a little old but I thought I might share our experience. This is my dd's 2nd year doing a solo. This year she was given a fast Jazz full of tricks that she can't keep up with by the end of the song. She can do all the tricks well on their own but when they come one after another non stop and she starts getting worn out she can't do them as well. She is 12 btw. Then what happened, the rehearsal before next comp, they started simplifying some moves but bc it was changed at the last rehearsal before comps, with the nerves of performing, she would forget the changes. I used to think it was about the tricks you can do in your solo. This year I realized, it's about a flawless, beautiful, musically connected performance that the judges want to see and really love. Therefore next year, I'm only allowing her choreographer to choreograph a solo she can do flawlessly. It's a little hard bc my DD is the kind of kid that nerves get to her when she is performing, so she can do certain things flawlessly in rehearsal but on stage her nerves will get to her. She did do much better this year controlling her nerves than last so hopefully next year she can deal with nerves even better. She is at a very competitive studio and we always have a few of our girls placing in top 5 competing at highest levels. This is my dd's 4th year competiting and the girls that placed have been competing 6-8 years, so have quite a bit more experience than her. We basically know my daughter won't place. She shouldn't even be competiting at the highest level based on her experience, but our studio only competes at highest level, even if it's your 1st year competiting. She competed at KAR in their level of 2-4 years experienced in 12-14 age category and she placed 3rd. It did make her feel good to place and in some ways felt that for the amount of experience she has, she is pretty good. She was starting to doubt herself competiting against kids who have had hundreds of hours more of dance classes and have been doing solos since a very young age. But definitely next year we'll simplify her solo and change the style as my daughter is a very mellow, laid back kid and doing a fast jazz is hard for her to get that kind of energy going. Everyone at our school who did 2 solos, one of them being jazz, always did worse with their jazz solo and didn't place with that one, while placing very high with their contemporary or similar style. Jazz is hard to compete with getting into the teen years I think, even for the very strong dancers.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation: