Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
LABaby

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #1 
I posted six months ago about how we're moving to Phoenix this summer and are looking for a dance studio for my two daughters - one will be in 1st grade and the other in 4th. I have some more specific details now. 

They are going to a religious elementary school in northern Phoenix, between Glendale and Scottsdale. (We are still working out rental deals). I'd love recommendations for a good comp studio nearby! Older DD likes MT & contemporary and younger DD is used to dancing 3-4 hours a week, good chance she'll quit soon to try new activities though (: 

Would appreciate any advice - TIA 
maemom

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #2 
My inlaws have a place in the scottsdale area that we visit quite regularly. We know of girls who attend Dance Connection, Plumb Performing Arts and Centre Stage (all in north-ish scottsdale). All seem to be happy where they are at, but I don't know too much about the studios personally. I'm not sure how far away they are from your location. From what I have heard there are many great studios in the phoenix area. Let me know if you would like me to find out more details for you [smile]
tapstermom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #3 
In that area there several.  Yes there is Dance Connection Scottsdale, there is also Plumb( I know one of the teachers for the little one, she is amazing)  There is also Dance Project and also Bender's(again, I know one of the teachers) It all depends on what level and commitment you are wanting to have.  You might want to use the summer to try different programs and find the best fit for you.
LABaby

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #4 
What do people know about Royal Danceworks and Adage? These seem to be the closest, but I'm open to driving further for a top studio like Plumb or Master (: 
LABaby

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #5 
Also does anyone know anything more about class minimums at Master? Like if my older DD wants to take 1-2 ballet classes there weekly to supplement comp but nothing more than that? 
alingading

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #6 
My daughter goes to Spisak Dance Academy, which is in Glendale (51st Ave & Bell). They ensure that they do not burn the kids out with too many classes and all choreography/costumes are age appropriate. Auditions are required for competition company and solos are earned. There are some studios out there that will give solos to anyone willing to pay... ours is not one of them. They are able to make sure that all dancers are truly ready for it and it makes them appreciate the privilege of having one. Private message me if you have any questions about Spisak. On another note, I have heard great things about Royal Dance Works, Tempe Dance Academy, the Dance Project, Plumb, and several others. [smile]
dancermom128

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #7 
Plumb is an excellent studio. Their dancers are unbelievable. 
JojosDanceMom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #8 
I'm not from that area, but the AZ comp studios I've seen are Plumb Performing Arts and Tempe Dance Academy.  The dancers I've seen come from these studios are amazing.
dancindaughter

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #9 
I'm from AZ.  Tempe Dance is a long drive from OP's location.  I absolutely agree that they produce amazing dancers, but traffic is terrible here.  I would recommend Dance Connection or Plumb.
tapstermom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #10 
The Royal and Adage are good studio, but are heavy competition schools.  I remember Spisak studio from when my dd competed--seemed like a nice studio, glad to here they are.  
LABaby

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #11 
All right, DMs, DD9 is begging me to let her audition for Club (she and her dance friends know the studio from all their social media hype), which is a total inconvience as we will be living a solid half hour or so from the studio. But, what can I say, since my DH and I have to uproot her from her current studio which we all love, her school and friends, I'm willing to entertain the idea.

What do people know about Club? 
SSminimom

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #12 
If you are really going to be in North Phoenix between Glendale and Scottsdale it's way more than 30 min to Club Dance. 45 min from the Desert Ridge area and 50 min from north Scottsdale. And traffic in Phoenix is bad at 4 pm, when classes start. You can always test the distance with the audition but another unique thing about Phoenix is the traffic gets dramatically worse when the summer ends since so many people here are snow-birders. As far as Club goes, they seem to be good. They have an intense pre-pro program.
LABaby

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #13 
Thank you everyone so much for the information! They get out at 2:45pm every day and 12:30 on Fridays. Club is 45 minutes away from their school, so odds are it's just not going to happen. I am a theatre educator, who will be unemployed with the upcoming move, and am hoping to work asap, so a 45 minute drive each day probably isn't going to work for our family. 

We're going to tour studios that are 15-20 minutes away - MBA, Centre Stage, etc. - next time we visit, and we'll see what works best for my DDs.

cynmckee

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #14 
Quote:
Originally Posted by LABaby
Thank you everyone so much for the information! They get out at 2:45pm every day and 12:30 on Fridays. Club is 45 minutes away from their school, so odds are it's just not going to happen. I am a theatre educator, who will be unemployed with the upcoming move, and am hoping to work asap, so a 45 minute drive each day probably isn't going to work for our family. 

We're going to tour studios that are 15-20 minutes away - MBA, Centre Stage, etc. - next time we visit, and we'll see what works best for my DDs.

You might be surprised for a variety of reasons.  Check to see when their classes start and check to see if there are carpools available for kids in your area.  Many/maybe most of the kids in our studio live at least 45 minutes away and almost all of them are in a carpool situation of sorts.
ballerinamom13

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #15 
The traffic in Phoenix is horrendous.  Not as bad as L.A., but still terrible.  Like L.A., you cannot go by miles, only by minutes.  Miles mean nothing in Phoenix.  And in many places, there is no direct route to where you are trying to go, because there are fewer freeways. I would not pick a studio 45 minutes away with so many  good choices nearer to where you are going to be.
cynmckee

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #16 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ballerinamom13
The traffic in Phoenix is horrendous.  Not as bad as L.A., but still terrible.  Like L.A., you cannot go by miles, only by minutes.  Miles mean nothing in Phoenix.  And in many places, there is no direct route to where you are trying to go, because there are fewer freeways. I would not pick a studio 45 minutes away with so many  good choices nearer to where you are going to be.

That's kind of how it is in Denver now.  Traffic is killer.  I am always a little impressed with the studios in AZ.  Tempe was awesome a couple of years ago at NYCDA.

LABaby

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #17 
Honestly, my girls are going to be in 1st & 4th grade - I think a 45 minute drive several times a week is a little much for them atm. In 8th grade or high school, if they want to go to a studio that far away, I'd be willing to make it happen, given that they'd be serious enough about dance at that point that the sacrifice would be worth it. 
Sprmom2679

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #18 
There is also Centrestage, Dancers Domain, Royal Danceworks, Conservatory of dance. Those are the better studios with good environments for kids.
jwsqrdplus2

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #19 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprmom2679
There is also Centrestage, Dancers Domain, Royal Danceworks, Conservatory of dance. Those are the better studios with good environments for kids.

We ran across Royal Danceworks for the first time at nationals last month.  They have some incredibly talented dancers and put amazing dances on the stage!  The dancers my daughter interacted with were very sweet and humble in addition to being great dancers.
Sprmom2679

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #20 
Royal is really good. There are so many good studios in the area it is just a matter of finding one that either fits your schedule, the training you are looking for, or is the right environment for your kids. I would stay away from Dance Connection Scottsdale unless you like drama and want to feel like you are on an episode of Dance Moms everyday.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.