Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
ChelleB70

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #1 
My 13 yo dd just got her period. She's worried about what to do at dance bc she doesn't wear underpants during class. She is using pads right now and I mentioned tampons which she made a face at (which I expected LOL). I can't imagine a pad would be secure enough with just tights. Not to mention she hates tights and only wears them when absolutely required. Needless to say I was hoping this day was still yrs away. [wink]. I don't know if I should push tampons or not. TBH I couldn't live wo them but I know they aren't for everyone. Also even tho she's 13 she's super petite. 4'8", flat chested, slim and just TINY. I don't know if tampons would be plain uncomfortable or worse at her size. Also, she dances competitively so underpants are OUT during comps.

I'm actually hoping this is a false start. Like I said, she's flat chested (tho I'm only an A cup so genetics aren't on her side in that dept), she had no cramps, no mood swings or irritabity and her skin is perfection. I know a couple women who got their period then didn't get it again for a year. That would def be helpful in this case. Not to mention the kid just doesn't want to grow up. At first she didn't want me to
Say she's 13...I had to say 12! LOL

Any advice? TIA
lovetowatch

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #2 
If you go the tampon route, there are some that are made slimmer but are still regular absorbancy. They are Tampax sport and they even say slim or slender on the box. My 17 yr old is only 4 ft 8 in and 75 pounds so they have been necessary for her. Regular sized ones just don't work. There are also slim pads by Always. They are in a pink package.
Ktyyyyyyy

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #3 
We're not there yet, so I don't have any advice about tampons vs pads. DD does wear underwear though for dance, both for class and comps. She didn't used to, but started to last year. She wears seamless underwear that doesn't really show lines. She wears it under booty shorts or leggings and with costumes. She doesn't ever wear it for ballet though because then she wears tights instead.
2dornot2d

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #4 
My DD13 (5' 5", 115 lbs now) started hers when she was 11 and 4 months. It was during summer so we started with pads but when dance classes started I had her start using tampons. I didn't want her to get used to pads and hate to switch. Also you don't want to wait until competition month and start training.

I started her with Playtex slender. Plastic applicator is easier than cardboard. Now she prefers Playtex sport. There's no way she could've danced with a pad. Too thick. I always make her put thinnest liner on the costume and do body tapes all around the leg openings of her brief (for her solo-no tights)

Good luck!
tiptoemom

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #5 
dd started her period at 13. She was at ballet, so an older dancer gave her a tampon and showed her how to use it. (I did tell her about it and have had her opening my tampons since she was little, so she would be familiar with them) She inserted it and came home happy and feeling proud to tell me that she handled it. She uses pads at night, but would never wear anything other than a tampon during dance. She is mainly ballet, so if her flow is heavy she will put on a super thin liner. When they were younger, the ballet mistress would allow a skirt (there was some way they let the teacher know why) but once she moved up that was no longer an option. I can't imagine dancing with a pad and they are not allowed underwear
Bonbonmama

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #6 
DD (now 14) got her period last year during competition season. She used tampons right away, we had talked about it and she knew that would be a better choice with dance. She doesn't wear undies for ballet for for some reason she has started wearing them now for other disciplines, mostly because booty shorts are probably not super comfy without underwear.... She wears nude colored briefs. They make the comp girls wear nude, seamless panties for competition because there are so many costume changes and some of our girls are really not comfortable with nudity. Mine is fine, but we live in an area with many traditional religious groups.
If she doesn't have it already, I highly recommend "the care and keeping of me" book, it really is a great reference for them to be able to read through on their own whenever they want even if you also talk to her openly. [smile]
ChelleB70

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #7 
Thanks for all the posts.  She has both Care & Keeping of You books.  Right now she's using Kotex U pads.  They're very thin.  Not sure how well they're going to do when her flow is heavier and I really can't imagine her dancing with them.  I'll have to talk to her about tampons again but I know it's not going to be an easy sell.  The girl won't even put a contact lens in her eye, a tampon is WAY outside of her comfort zone. LOL  It would be such an easy "fix" tho.  I knew this was going to be an issue so I was hoping she'd get her period on the later side.  I completely don't understand her tampon aversion.  I hated pads from the start but my mother told me not to use tampons (toxic shock worries).  I practically had to beg her to get them for me.  Whose daughter is my dancer bc she doesn't sound like mine! [wink]

I like the idea of the seamless, nude panties.  Even just as extra protection with a liner if I can get her to use tampons.
meatball77

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #8 
The most important thing about inserting a tampon is to relax.  Just like when you go to the Dr for a Pap if you're nervous you clench up and it hurts, but once you decided it wasn't a big deal it was much easier.  It's the same thing with tampons.  If she thinks it'll be hard and it will hurt then she probably won't be able to get it to work, if she can relax then it'll be much easier.  This is also why those of us who started later were more likely to start with tampons, we were older and more comfortable with our bodies than those who started young.  13 is actually on the later end to start (although skinny kids do tend to start later) so she should have been totally prepared of it being a possibility (and I've been talking about tampons with my kid since she was nine so she's comfortable with the idea).  She might be able to talk to one of her dance friends to give her some tips, at that age sometimes friends are better when dealing with uncomfortable topics like that.
dancypants

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #9 
A tip on the panties- Target sells a nude, seamless, super thin high cut brief in the Gilligan O Malley brand. they are often sale for 5 for 20$. DD wears them under all sorts of things, and no one can tell.
Jacaranda

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #10 
When I was a teenager, I never wore a tampon and we just wore leotards and tights to class,w earn g underwear would never be accepted. A good tight pair of tights kept the pad in place and I would cut it a little so it was invisible. Never had a a problem and danced all through my teens and 20's in just tights and leotard and never a tampon. A lot will depend how heavy her flow is.
Sarah

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #11 
DD hasn't gotten her period yet -- though I'm anticipating it soon -- but she does wear nude seamless undies for all her classes.  I found that she likes the ones from La Senza.  She is tiny, but women's extra small work for her.
dancer56

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #12 
My dd14 now 16 starting using tampons pretty soon after getting it. Didn't even tell me lol. She finds now that lace or seamless thongs, a panty liner and a playtex sport to do the best job. When she first got it thought, she wore seamless panties with a panty liner.
dncemom01

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #13 
My dd14 just had her 2nd ever period (the Monday after our first comp weekend). Her first period was in June and fell during a week where they were off for dance so this past week has been her first experience with school and dance. She used tampons and while she is still figuring out placement for the most comfort she liked not having the bulkiness and uncomfortable-ness of the pads.
emcandance

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #14 
My dd13 got her period when she was 11.  So much fun!  Her solo that year was an all white dress.  She got her period on the morning of her solo and had to wear a tampon.  It took her over an hour in our hotel room for her to get in in.  When she was done dancing, and she had to remove it, it was like her giving birth!
She now till doesn't like tampons.  She wears thongs with panty liners for thongs.  I'm hoping she will get use to tampons but for me, as long as she is confident and comfortable wearing pads, so be it.
DanceTumbleCheerMom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #15 
Both DD11 and DD 12 have started.  DD12 just asked about them, so I sent her an article that talked about how to use them, and got a box for her to try.  Its up to her, but with Cheer, she wants a little more protection as she is getting a heavier cycle.   DD11 (my dancer) hasnt mentioned it yet, but since big sis has them, she will most likely try on her own.
Suzit42

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #16 
Very timely discussion, thanks. DD16 had her first period Christmas Eve. She lasted about twelve hours with pads before we had to get some slender tampons. I imagine that she will wear underwear and a liner for comps. Thanks for the recommendations. I have noticed that many of her costumes are more booty shorts with underwear and no tights than tights with no underwear. Is this a new trend?
prancer

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #17 
Our studio has been booty shorts and no tights since dd started dancing - 4 years. When the girls are young they tend to have light colored bottoms. I have noticed the older girls tend to have darker bottoms which has always seemed smart to me. This year though dd has lots of dresses/skirts with nothing built in underneath. I'm wondering what they will wear? most of the girls have developed and dd is clearly in her growth spurt. I hope the studio thinks of this.
Dance_Angels

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #18 
I personally would just go the tampon route. Give her the box and directions. She should be able to figure it out. My oldest dd, while not a dancer, got her 1st the day before our oceanfront vacation. [frown] She had no choice but to figure the tampon route out and fast. LOL My younger two competitive dancers will learn that way to. I think it would be to hard to dance with a pad. Uncomfortable and embarrassing if it was to come out etc. Start from the beginning ... she will adjust. We all do. GL!
melissa745

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #19 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dance_Angels
I personally would just go the tampon route. Give her the box and directions. She should be able to figure it out. My oldest dd, while not a dancer, got her 1st the day before our oceanfront vacation. [frown] She had no choice but to figure the tampon route out and fast. LOL My younger two competitive dancers will learn that way to. I think it would be to hard to dance with a pad. Uncomfortable and embarrassing if it was to come out etc. Start from the beginning ... she will adjust. We all do. GL!

Easier said than done, I'm afraid. My oldest took to tampons right away. My second won't even try. She's too Squeamish to even touch her private parts, so getting a tampon in is not happening for her.

There's plenty of time. We all get there eventually.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation: