Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
dance010

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #1 
I have seen many people mentioning that there are many kids from your comp studio that attend performing arts high schools. Many kids from our studio do as well, which creates a problem that just seems to escalate year after year - the shows these high schools put on have major conflicts with competition rehearsals/ recital practices/ etc. This year absences have been especially bad, to where i foresee SO making something in the recital contract for next season that you cannot participate in school performances if they will conflict with mandatory recital or comp practices. DD is not at a performing arts school and teachers seem to be very annoyed with kids who are in shows at their school so often that they have mandatory rehearsals at school every other week. With recital only a few short weeks away DD says that her teachers are having a hard time cleaning dances with so many kids missing weekly recital classes. 

I am wondering if this has become a problem at your studios at all? It was brought up to SO and she said that if the shows are mandatory to participate in and it goes towards their grade, there is nothing they can do about it. It ends up hurting all the kids that actually do attend class and hurting the kids who are missing studio classes for school shows!

How is this dealt with at your studio?
meatball77

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #2 
If it's just one or two schools it would make more sense for the teachers to just schedule rehearsals in a way that doesn't interfere with the school rehearsals (starting later, starting earlier, different days).  They should be happy that their kids are getting more technique and performance experience.

dmjrm4

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #3 
Following!  Stressed about this as my daughter was admitted to a PAHS for this fall.
dance010

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #4 
The kids miss a lot of mandatory rehearsals, but also missing the weekly lyrical/ jazz/ tap classes is really hurting them and the other kids. Very hard to clean these dances and DD is stressed to say the least, recital is 2 weeks away [eek]
tappinmom

Double Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #5 
We had many dancers at the studio that went to PAHS.  They missed class once in a while but their schools were very good about understanding that this can't happen all the time.  The teachers realize that the only reason they have these dancers at the PAHS is because they have a studio and likely they compete.  We had dancers miss more classes when they went on tour with a local ballet company for their travelling Nutcracker.  Then they would be gone for 2 weeks straight.
cynmckee

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #6 
School comes before competition.  The shows at the performing arts school are not that many and they are on the same weekends every year and one of those is during the week.  We give our SO the schedule at the beginning of he year and he works around it.  There is no reason SOs can't work around those weekends.  There was one issue for the advanced dancers at our PAHS for next year...NYCDA.  I asked for that show to be moved up (At the PAHS) one day...from wed-Sat to Tue -Fri.  It seems like they will do that but I have asked almost a year in advance.  The only reason I asked in this case is that lots of the kids at our studio come away with college money from this comp.

Take a step back and look at the big picture. Is a comp going to further your kid's after high school aspirations?  It's not...it' really not.  A bad grade in their dance major in a PAHS might have an impact on getting into that college dance program that they want.  What are you going to say?  I didn't feel like my obligation in the school dance program was as important as getting that title jacket?

If you can't commit to the PAHS then don't go there.  At ours there is a long line of kids waiting to get in.
mom2dancinboyngirl

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #7 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynmckee
School comes before competition.  The shows at the performing arts school are not that many and they are on the same weekends every year and one of those is during the week.  We give our SO the schedule at the beginning of he year and he works around it.  There is no reason SOs can't work around those weekends.  There was one issue for the advanced dancers at our PAHS for next year...NYCDA.  I asked for that show to be moved up (At the PAHS) one day...from wed-Sat to Tue -Fri.  It seems like they will do that but I have asked almost a year in advance.  The only reason I asked in this case is that lots of the kids at our studio come away with college money from this comp.

Take a step back and look at the big picture. Is a comp going to further your kid's after high school aspirations?  It's not...it' really not.  A bad grade in their dance major in a PAHS might have an impact on getting into that college dance program that they want.  What are you going to say?  I didn't feel like my obligation in the school dance program was as important as getting that title jacket?

If you can't commit to the PAHS then don't go there.  At ours there is a long line of kids waiting to get in.

If I could give this multiple thumbs up, I would - I agree with everything that you wrote. My DS attends a PAHS and it has been a wonderful experience so far. There are only two shows for him - a Nutcracker ballet at Christmas and a year end show which runs mid-week (it was two days after the end of one of our comp weekends). I made sure he didn't miss a single rehearsal for the Nutcracker, reasoning that there would be lots of time for him to make up any missed comp choreo classes over Christmas and into January. He did have to miss some of the school rehearsals for the year end show (due to competitions), but the school was very understanding about that.

Academically the school is fabulous - much, much better than our local public high school that he would have had to enroll in. It is worth whatever efforts we need to go through in order for him to attend there.

A number of our comp team's dancers attend a different PAHS that has more conflicts (as their year end show is on a weekend - the same one as one of our comps this season, and also their rehearsal schedule is different, including weekends). It was very difficult for those dancers to do both, but they managed it. I appreciate the way that our studio works with the families to try their best to make it possible for the dancers to do both comp and attend a PAHS.
1tinydancer

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #8 
Since the PAHS teachers and studio owners all seem to know each other because the PAHS puts on a showcase and invites all the local studios to perform, they all work together. But count me in as one that says school is more important than dance. If my dd wanted to be a pro dancer then maybe my stance would change but in my world as it is now, school before dance.
3mama5678

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #9 
I've heard of these schools. Luckily we don't have any within 2 hours of our town.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation: