Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
Inspiredby3

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #1 
My daughter has been learning a trio. They have had 2 hour rehearsals every week that I pay $80 for, so $320 per 4 rehearsals. They completed choreography. My daughter went to rehearsal last weekend and told me they are restarting choreography and will do the dance in a different style, that the other choreography didn’t look good. I was looking forward to the rehearsals be8ng shorter soon and not having to pay as much. I just don’t feel that we should have to pay for two choreographies to get one Dance. Let me tell you, she would have loved to have another dance! She only has 1 group, this trio and a solo. For the cost of paying again for this trio, she could have easily had another group Dance. One of the trio moms is not bothered at all, the other mom feels the same way as me. I emailed the director but she is not emailing back. Also, they just went ahead and started New choreography without discussing it with us to make sure we were ok with it. My other concern is that our 1st comp is in 2 months and they just started choreo and the girls are 9 yo. I don’t know how it will be cleaned up on time when it took them almost 2 months to learn the other choreography. Just really frustrated and feel like they have no respect for the money my husband works for, and it’s oerfectly ok to jus5 throw a few hundred dollars away.
jamquint1

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #2 
I agree with you that I would be bothered by this. I'm a little surprised that they were 2 months into it before the choreographer decided that it wasn't going to work. Our routines have been modified, but not completely redone, so not much additional time added to learning/cleaning. Also, I love that our studio has a comprehensive fee for competition kids' studio time which includes a set amount of time. If additional rehearsal time is deemed necessary, there is not an additional charge. I realize that this is not the norm. Our studio is very generous with their time and talent. I feel that if the choreographer is 2 months into working with the dancers, charging by the hour, and then decides to completely redo the dance, the studio should make some adjustment to their payment expectation. I agree that they are not being very respectful of your resources. 
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #3 
Was there a plan to shorten the rehearsals after choreo was complete or was that simply what you were hoping?  Do you know that changing the choreo will in fact increase the number of hours that will be spent in the next couple of months?  I guess that is the question I would ask the SO if I was on a budget and had only agreed to do the trio based on a certain dollar figure.  That said... I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that that wasn't the agreement.  Guess that it was more open-ended than that.  In which case you have every right to be annoyed but, based on my own personal experience? I doubt it will get you anywhere.  As soon as you jump on board the competition train it often feels like it's not your money anymore.  It's their money.  To do with as they wish.
gandalf

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #4 
Every studio has its own dynamics.  Does your director personally answer her own email. I know at our studio, the office staff gets all that email, then consults with the SO on certain things. Next, who decided the choreography was no good, and what was bad about it? Perhaps the original choreographer owes you a refund.  
rubydancemom

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #5 
I would be frustrated, too, and you should have been consulted since it is your time/money. Heidi's quote: "As soon as you jump on board the competition train it often feels like it's not your money anymore.  It's their money.  To do with as they wish." So true, and one of the reasons I am ready to get off at the next stop. [wink]
my2miracles

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #6 
Were you informed that there would be an additional choreography fee?  If so then that's the time to talk about it with SO or whoever handles the billing.  If not, they may not charge since they didn't like the choreography. That's what I would expect to happen.  If they expected me to pay double, I definitely would have an issue!
Inspiredby3

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #7 
Thanks everyone for the responses!

@jamquint1.... The comprehensive fee sounds really good at your studio! I agree with you that there needs to be a fee adjustment. At our old studio, we would pay a choreo fee, let’s say $350 for a trio and they would choreograph the whole dance for that fee, even if changes had to be made. Here we don’t have to pay the fee ahead of time, but paying a broken down fee every week. If at my old studio, after we paid choreo fee they told me they have rechoreograph the dance and have to prepay the fee again, everyone would laugh in their face. Who would pay twice for choreo for one dance?? We already know that we’ll be moving n to another studio and 1 of the girls from the trio is as well. The 3rd girl, nothing bothers her mom and she’s fine just giving all the money they want. Not me!

Heidi459.... I have 2 girls in dance and they both started their trios the same day. The only thing we were told was that trio rehearsal would be $40 an hour. They didn’t tell me that their rehearsals would be 2 hours every week. I was expecting it to be an hour or 1.5 hours. For both girls I was paying $160 a week, which adds up very quickly. Once my older daughter’s choreo was done, her rehearsal was dropped to 1.5 hours and now it’s an hour. So I was expecting the same for my younger daughter. All dances in general shorten rehearsal time once everyone knows the dance. This is our 5th year doing comps so I know how money hungry the owners are. It still doesn’t give them the right to charge double for choreo and there is such a thing as lawyers. My daughters were bullied last year so we switched studios. I’m done kissing butt and let these owners literally rob us of all spare cash we have. I’m fine with paying reasonable fees, but not when they expect you to pay for things twice.

Gandalf... There really isn’t much room for communication here. Owner just posted on our comp forum that she only wants to be reached through email. Only text her on her phone with absolute emergency. No talking to teachers between classes, we have to set up a meeting to talk to a teacher. The owner doesn’t teach any classes, she only choreographs majority of the dances except for tap. This is the first year she’s letting the contemporary teacher choreograph trios. The trio was Jazz and I think the owner saw it once it was completed and didn’t like it and changed it to contemporary, which is the teacher’s specialty and she choreographed a beautiful contemporary trio for my older dd. So I think the mistake was choosing Jazz for the style and the choreographer not having experience choreographing Jazz. Almost all dances here are contemporary. My older dd has 4 dances and all are contemporary. Well, one they say it’s jazz, but it looks completely contemporary to me and my dd. If they wanted them to do a Jazz trio, she should have had a choreographer that has experience in choreographing Jazz.

Rubydancemom... yes, I think it should have been discussed with the parents what their decision was and if the parents were ok paying for new choreography. I would have loved for my dd to have another group dance since she only has one. I would have preferred to put the money toward that then paying twice for 1 Dance. I am ready to get off at the next stop too, and actually might! I’ve only seen one studio where the owner was caring and charged fairly. The was our first year doing comp. she got pregnant that year and sold the studio. Haven’t been able to find another studio like that one.

My2miracles...I was not informed that there would be additional fee. My daughter came in to rehearsal with her $80 to pay for the 2 hours and instead of rehearsal the dance they learned, they started choreographing a new one and the $80 was paid for that. We have 1 mom who contacts us once schedule is out to let us know trio rehearsal and how much money to bring. We were contacted and told to bring money for the choreography rehearsal for this weekend. This would be the 2nd rehearsal we will be paying for ne choreo. 1st one I didn’t know about till my daughter told me afterwards that they restarted the Dance.

Thanks so much everyone. We had a really tough year last year at our old studio and my attitude has changed quite a bit. I don’t put up with bull anymore. Paying for Dance is not any different than paying for any other service. I’m done treating it like it is. Not only do we pay a crazy amount of money, we completely give up our social life too. If they want to keep their customers, they need to treat them well....
Julieg

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #8 
Our studio is really good at finding ways to spend our money and even they don't charge for choreo if they change the dance.  We've had it happen a few times.  A couple of times the dance just didn't tell the story that the choreographer had envisioned but one other time it was awful.  The lyrics to their music had the lines "My love's a revolver" and "I'll shoot you bang bang" complete with finger guns.  It took the stage a month or two after Sandy Hook.  I have no idea how it got as far as our showcase and the first competition before we realized how offensive it was.  It was pulled that weekend and they started a new dance complete with new custom costumes and they didn't charge a penny extra.  I would wait and see if they really plan on charging again.  You could also negotiate what you are willing to do as far as extra payments and rehearsals.
tappinmom

Double Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #9 
Both studios we attended you paid a flat rate for all solo classes.  Studio 1 was $450 and you got 30 minutes every week from September to June.  If they felt like you needed an extra class closer to a comp that was free.  Studio 2 was $315 and we got 30 minutes every week from December to March.  I remember at studio 2 we had a dance go to the first comp and not score well.  The SO decided it didn't fit the dancer and before the next comp they were back in classes re choreographing and cleaning a new dance that did much better at the next comp and all for no charge.

I would approach the SO directly and ask her if there are going to be costs associated with this change because that it not what you signed up for.
LilMama

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #10 
Most studio here charge a flat rate for choreo and that includes 30mins private from around now till competition. We're lucky that our studio is very generous with providing extra training when needed. I would definitely be upset if they're trying to charge me twice. Though it could be an awkward situation when other moms are saying that they don't mind paying more, making you "the trouble dance mom" to them. Unfortunately I don't think there's much you can do.
PointeMom

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #11 
I think I would be upset about this. I don’t like last minute surprises that aren’t clearly explained anywhere. Our dance studio has written info that says choreography is to never be questioned by student or parent. We are to “trust the process” which is fine but this year my DD says that her solo has nothing that challenges her or pushes her. We pay a $300 solo choreography fee that includes 5 hours of choreography. If extra is needed it’s $15 per 1/2 hr. If any choreography has completely changed we have never been charged. I don’t think anyone should pay a new full fee for a choreographer that isn’t pleased with their own work.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.