Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
Dancestudiomom1970

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #1 
Do any of you have boys who have attended intensives? I have a 14 year old. He did Joffrey last year but for musical theater and hip hop. He now wants to do ballet and/or contemp. Thoughts?
ballerinamom13

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #2 
Dancestudiomom1970- there are entire threads dedicated to parents of boys on Ballet Talk for Dancers.  You must register to ask questions and see many of the forums, but it's totally worth it.  Most of the auditions are over for this summer - I'd act soon.
dave9988

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #3 

I'm curious as to the question (or hesitation?) behind the post.

Looking for program recommendations, or looking for some reassurances that ballet programs would work with him?  What's his ballet background ... maybe he didn't do a ballet SI last year, but I assume he takes classes.

tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #4 
Not a boy parent, but a parent of a girl who has attended ballet summer programs and ballet summer intensives for at least 8 years. There were always boys in attendance, even at the local programs. I have friends who have had boys who have done ballet and other SIs as well. 

My thought is that, if possible, he should do a ballet program, ideally one that has some contemporary or modern as well. Most do include a few classes.  Ballet is the base of almost everything and will only help him improve in other genres. 

It is a bit late for the national level programs, but local programs may very well be willing to take a boy at this late date. Also, I looked at Joffrey, knowing they tend to go late with auditions. It looks like they may still be taking video audition submissions on their website. 
Dancestudiomom1970

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #5 
Thanks for your thoughts.
Almost all of them are still accepting video auditions and they are all eager when I call and say I have a boy thinking of auditioning.
I was looking for boy parents to respond because, for example, last year at Joffrey, my son didn't have a roommate for three weeks because there weren't any boys. And despite what I was told originally, he was housed right smack in the middle of a girls floor. I don't want a repeat of that.
I'm also a studio owner so yes, I'm pushing for ballet intensive- it's the foundation of everything! 😊
Out of your DD 8 years of intensives did she (and you) have any favorites?
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.