Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
Cupcake

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #1 
Is the dressing room at competitions a "parent free zone"? If so, has it always been this way? Or was it only after your dancer was a certain age?

If parents aren't allowed in the dressing room, who handles hair/makeup changes?
DanceForFun

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #2 
The SO asks that parents stay out of the dressing room as it gets crowded and often stresses out the kids more. Young ones still have their parents there but once they are around 12 ish the parents are asked to not hang out there. Of course we pop in from time to time to check in but really don't hang out there. My DD is 14 now so doesn't really need help. Kids arrive with hair and make up done and by that age can do it themselves. They also help each other and we have a wonderful dance teacher who often jumps in to help the kids put on lashes, fix hair if needed etc.  Of course, sometimes we lend a hand but it is usually better for all to keep a "dancers only " zone.
LilMama

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #3 
Younger dancers are allowed to have parents for help, teenager should be handle it on their own unless there’s a quick change.
Kfish1987

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #4 
Even though my daughter is 12, I am in the dressing room for costume changes and hair help. At the end of the evening, I find lipsticks, hair spray, bra tops and even tap shoes left in the dressing room. When I was helping pack her dream Duffle at her last competition, I found someone else's costume in her bag, just thrown in there. It wasn't from our studio. I left the costume witn the people running the competition and hopefully she got her costume back. My daughter's former duo partner lost the top of their costume last year and she didn't find out she lost it until an hour before their dance at the next competition. We had to borrow someone else's tops from a group dance. I have piece of mind when I put her costumes away in their proper place after she is done with them.
AnnaBeav

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #5 
Parents are welcome in the comp dressing room. The teen and senior girls usually don't have their moms but at least one of them will ask me for help with something so I think it is nice to have some adults around. 
Jacaranda

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #6 
Parents are always allowed in dressing rooms here. So it is an individual design for each family as to when they feel its time to step back.
momcrew

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #7 
I've never heard of parents not being allowed in the dressing rooms. 
amandafarris03

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #8 
I go and usually help dd14.  but this last competition she said to me "mom i'm a self sufficient human being".  so while I didn't help her get dressed I made sure she was wearing the right costume pieces and she didn't have a tear in her fishnets and checked hair.  it made me a little sad ONLY because the need for me wasn't there anymore.

but as a general rule the older girls don't need mom's to help but they won't hesitate to ask another mom for help should they need it.  I've sewn MANY costumes/fishnets moments before it went onstage.
rubydancemom

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #9 
Moms are allowed for us, and I am grateful. My DD still needs help with our impossible and unforgiving team lip stain, among other things. I also think moms being in there helps curb some of the unsportsmanlike conduct, assigning blame for mistakes, ripping other teams/teammates, etc. 
dancingymnast

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #10 
We've only had one competition so far. I wasn't planning on going into the dressing room, DD is 13 and pretty self sufficient, the other girls are even older, so they all can handle their own hair\makeup\costumes. But then DD called me and asked to bring her a snack, so I went in and ended up staying and helping with the costumes (some last minutes sewing). It was nice spending time with the girls and being a part of the experience. 😉 
cram

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #11 
We are allowed in the dressing rooms but not in the rehearsal halls as they need to focus on dances. However, now that mine are older I pop in and out to see if they are good, hungry, tired, hurt and to make sure the costumes are all there and packed away after every few dances to makes sure nothing gets lost or forgotten. That is all. Plus as they get older I find they do get more into their heads and it is better to leave them to their teen selves:-)
lovemykids

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #12 
I have a question for those of you that don't out hang out at the dressing room: what do you do all day? You sit and watch every dance? In our studio even the older girls' moms hang out at the dressing room because that is just where we all are for the most part, including the teacher. Everyone pops in an out to go eat, or to watch some more, etc, but for the most part a good part of the day is spent in the dressing room. So if you are not allowed in, what do you do? watch the entire competition? You don't get to hang out with your daughter at all? I guess when they are teenagers the story is different but right now I couldn't imagine not being able to hang out with my daughter and see her interact with her friends, etc.
Beccasmom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #13 
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemykids
I have a question for those of you that don't out hang out at the dressing room: what do you do all day? You sit and watch every dance? In our studio even the older girls' moms hang out at the dressing room because that is just where we all are for the most part, including the teacher. Everyone pops in an out to go eat, or to watch some more, etc, but for the most part a good part of the day is spent in the dressing room. So if you are not allowed in, what do you do? watch the entire competition? You don't get to hang out with your daughter at all? I guess when they are teenagers the story is different but right now I couldn't imagine not being able to hang out with my daughter and see her interact with her friends, etc.

This is how our studio is as well. I can only watch for so long and then it all starts to be a blur lol. My dd just turned 17, and while she can handle costume changes by herself, sometimes if there's a quick change or hair change she still needs a hand. Plus as someone else said, I like to keep things organized and hang up used costumes, etc.  
momcrew

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #14 
Quote:
I have a question for those of you that don't out hang out at the dressing room: what do you do all day?

Wine. [cool]
dncemom01

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #15 
Quote:

Our studio only does competitions with the attached conventions so the competition hours aren’t as long. We usually go grab some dinner and then her dances are in just a couple of hours so there really isn’t that much time to kill. Our last competition I went and helped with quick changes but otherwise I sat and watched.
meatball77

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #16 
Quote:

I sit in the audience and watch every dance (often texting snarky comments to a friend, like how sick I am of Paquita and Fairy doll), my husband goes to starbucks and I text him when it's close to time for my daughter to go on. 

Ballet comps don't allow parents in the dressing rooms once the kids are out of the youngest category (so 12).  The teachers (and kids) handle everything back stage.
tappinmom

Double Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #17 
I stopped staying back stage at comps when DS was about 9.  There were plenty of DT and the SO to keep an eye on him and I just stressed him out.  I would go watch some of the comp.  Sit in the lobby and talk with parents. Take a walk.  Whatever.  Sooner or later we need to leave our kids to find their way.  I would check back in periodically to see if he still had food/drinks or needed anything else but just hanging out was highly discouraged for all parents. 
leapdaymom

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #18 
Our studio has a lot of dancers in a lot of numbers...usually leading to a lot of quick changes. The studio flags quick changes on the schedule a few days before the comp and actually asks parents to help out in the dressing room to make it work. We change hair and (sometimes makeup) for most dances...
sysy

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #19 
DD is 12 now so i don't go in as often as i did when she was younger, it gets crowded in the dressing rooms and it just stresses DD out more than if i'm there aswel. She can manage herself with costumes and most of the make up and hair. We also have a studio system were like 2 moms go in and help each competition along with the SO and DT's, this goes for the juniors and up (so 10 and up, under 10's usually have their own mom in there), if they need something they know just to ask whoever is present wether that is their own mom or someone else's. The rest of us parents just hang out together (amen to the wine part [rofl]) and make sure we keep our phones with us in case DS or DD's need something. We also have a dance dad with us, his wife passed away years ago so one of us moms helps his daughter because he isn't allowed in the dressing room, he does her make up though, it's adorable to watch [smile]
nodrama15

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #20 
I still feel the need to go in with my 11 year old...she is just not responsible enough with her belongings.  I do not want a costume to go missing, I don't want to have to buy a new one.  Our guidance is "don't hang out in the dressing room".  If you want to help your daughter, leave the area once you are done.  I stick to that....hang up costumes, make sure next costume is on and leave her to fix her own hair and makeup.
Kfish1987

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #21 
My daughter, next weekend, has 5 group dances in an hour. I will be in the dressing room with her next costume ready, make up wipes and correct lipstick out. Luckily the DTs and SO agreed to have the same hairstyle for all the dances.
DanceMommy2Riley

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #22 
When my DD was younger (also before she was independent), I would be in the dressing room with her helping with her hair and makeup, etc. Now that she is older, she is totally capable of getting herself ready without my help. Back when she competed with her old studio, I sometimes saw some moms of teens and seniors in the dressing rooms too, although it was usually a rare occurrence - at least at our old studio!! I know that my DD wouldn't be okay with this as she is fairly independent and would be totally embarrassed having her mom following her around... [rolleyes]
jdlw

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #23 
In our studio moms are in the dressing room. Even with the oldest teens. And it seems like the moms of the other studios at the comps we go to do the same. My daughter is older so I’m not always there the whole time, but definitely between most costume changes
elastigal

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #24 
We are allowed in the dressing rooms, just lots of moms choose not to go in if they don't have to; can get kind of crowded. Of course some moms at our studio use the crowded dressing room as their social club which makes it hard for the rest of us to actually help our kids get ready. My DD9 still needs some assistance with hair & make up but can generally get herself dressed with help from her teammates. At costume changes I typically take my time going back there and generally find her changed or almost changed by the time I get there and then I can deal with any hair changes quickly. 
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.