Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
chicacheedancemom

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #1 
My daughter is 6 and her first competition is in early March...I have ordered a pack2rack, and her studio had an order for blankets with the studio name/my child's name..so I have that, and of course her costumes and shoes, the studio provided makeup but I need to get mascara and foundation...Other than the usual safety pins, bobby pins, extra tights, motrin, hairspray/gel/ponytail holders, what do you recommend? She will be doing 1 tap and 1 jazz number..and what is your best tricks to packing all this stuff? I danced my whole life but it's changed quite a bit and I never competed..only rec classes
kmpmom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #2 
There are a couple of forums about this already running so have a look through the site.  One thing I would say - with regard to the tap number - make sure you have a little screwdriver with you (in case the taps come loose) and a backup pair of laces.  Enjoy your season!

tapstermom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #3 
Just sit back and enjoy the ride.  That is my advice, and I do believe if you search the site, you will find helpful hints on how to pack.  I do recommend to bring a highlighter and pen to mark her dances in the program-right now it's easy, but later on with more dances you might forget.  I also like to write down how all the numbers do.  Bring two of every thing if you can, and lots of water and snacks. I used a tray that was part of tackle box that held her hair ties, bobbie pins, extra earrings, band aides and such.  Also bring clear nail polish for the small snags in tights.  If there is a long time between dances and awards and you have to stay, bring games and activities to keep her entertained.  My dd had 15 wonderful years as a dancer and has now moved on the teacher and attends competitions as the teacher---such a different role for me as I attend with her!
spiritmom

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #4 
Two of my favorite things to bring that aren't always immediately obvious:
1.  A toothbrush to tame flyaway hairs if they are wearing their hair back or in a bun
2.  Straws so if she wants a sip of water, you don't get lipstick all over the top of the bottle and then eventually on her face. 

Good luck and have a blast!
jazzminesun81

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #5 
Light snacks, a water bottle, and a mini/travel first aid kit. Have fun! Haha, we're in our 3rd year competing and I still haven't invested in a pack2rac or dream duffel. We just use a regular rolling duffel. First, I label each piece with DD's name & the dance (shoes, armbands, etc). Then I put each costume on a hanger. Then I put the accoutrements (tights, headpieces, armbands, etc) in a freezer gallon bag, poke a hole through the top and loop it onto the costume's hanger. Shoes in a separate bag, also looped onto the hanger. Then I use an XL ziploc as a garment bag over. Each bag also gets labels.
brightblue

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #6 
Bring extras of everything that might get mislaid e.g. tights, competition earrings, hair stuff. But try not to be known as the parent who always has extras or you will spend all weekend lending out stuff that won't get returned. Can you tell I have issues?
spiritmom

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #7 
Oh and put your name on EVERYTHING! 

One other thing we found helpful that might not apply to you just yet with only a few dances but could help others or you in the future...  I bought a cheap pop up hamper.  I added a cute tag with DDs name and we would set it up by her costume rack.  If she got back to the dressing room before I did and wanted to start changing (sometimes when you have a bunch of numbers,  you don't have much time), she knew that EVERYTHING she took off went in the hamper. That way we don't find one shoe here and one several feet away, lose a hair piece, etc.  After each dance I'd put everything back where it belonged (except one season after the last comp, I was so over it I just left it ALL in the hamper and took it home that way lol).
heartmom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #8 
Scissors! We use them a lot for eyelashes and things loose on costumes, bows, etc. I keep a bottle of frey check on hand that I will use on tights if we get a small hole. I like it better than carrying clear nail polish. Straws. Baby wipes/make up wipes (I think baby wipes work just as well as make up wipes, and I use baby wipes to clean a ton of things.) For buns, I really like the longer hair pins instead of bobby pins. Also, I keep moleskin in our bag. Used it a couple times, usually I've tried to fix costumes ahead of time that are bothering DD, but sometimes it's not til your in the costumes for an hour or more that you notice something is really rubbing or irritating. I just cut a strip of moleskin and stick it over the seam or sequin or whatever it is that is bothering/rubbing her. I even did it for the back seem on the waist of some tights that DD just couldn't take anymore one day.     

Also, if you want a program come prepared to buy one. Could be up to $10 just for that. 
Psmom

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #9 
First and foremost, bring your enthusiasm and have fun! As for the rest, other than the basic necessities, don't worry about it. I've gone from one extreme to the other over the years and I'm now in my 19th year as a dance mom. I used to roll in prepared for the dance apocalypse but that was so unnecessary. I found we were happiest when we kept things simple. I don't advise bringing activities to keep her busy. Those can keep her from connecting with the other children at the event. It is a big event and she will want to watch the other dancers a lot and spend time with her friends. Do bring her favorite snacks and yours too. All of the emergency supplies are typically available at the venue if needed so you'll be fine
DanceMomLaura

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #10 
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritmom
1.  A toothbrush to tame flyaway hairs if they are wearing their hair back or in a bun
2.  Straws so if she wants a sip of water, you don't get lipstick all over the top of the bottle and then eventually on her face. 

OMG!!! A toothbrush, never, ever, ever thought of this idea ... DUH to me!  Thanks.
spiritmom

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #11 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanceMomLaura
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritmom

OMG!!! A toothbrush, never, ever, ever thought of this idea ... DUH to me!  Thanks.

Haha!  A trick we learned from our pageant days. [smile]
Zlab7322

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #12 
Have a post dance meeting spot. We had a few times where neither of us was sure where to meet up (stressful for both of us). We now always meet at the suitcase.
A small tube of E6000 and spare tights.
Once we ripped 2 pairs in one competition - eeks!
dancemonkey

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #13 
Funny. But I never put my childs names on any costume!
hchilds

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #14 
I think I'm a little late but our SO forwarded us an email for this past weekend from Show Stopper that included a packing list. I'd never used a list before but it did cut down on my usual stress of "I KNOW IM FORGETTING SOMETHING" hahaha. Here's the link for anyone who wants it http://goshowstopper.com/pdf/Showstopper-GlitterGuide-PackingList.pdf
Suzit42

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #15 
If DD has more than one dance, bring a schedule printout and tape it to a wall with scotch tape. This is useful for the whole team.

And at some point, you will need something and at another point, you will give something. Do both with kindness. That is how teams are born.
Suzit42

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #16 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dancemonkey
Funny. But I never put my childs names on any costume!

Eeeeeeek! That scares me so. A few years ago, we had a costume snafu that could have been easily solved if the costumes were labeled. I use a sharpie silver paint pen because it shows on dark fabric.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.