Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
momofdanceobsessed

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #1 
I know there is a separate for overused music but thought it may be interesting to narrow it down. Also my dancer will be doing a lyrical solo next year (in teens). What have you guys heard a lot of this season? What did you love and what did you not so much love?
jule425

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #2 
Your Song, Turn to Stone, and Titanium were three I heard a lot. I like the songs, but they were used a lot.
JustAnotherDanceMom7

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #3 
Almost Lover, Skinny Love, Not About Angels, Tears of an Angel are ones I have heard over and over again this year.  All great songs, though!
Phx115

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #4 
I could do without ANY version of Over the Rainbow. Although, I don't hear it in the teen division.
joriebelle

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #5 
I could really use a break from Skinny Love and Titanium lol.  Especially Titanium.
AthleteArtistDancer

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #6 
Totally agree with Skinny Love, Titanium, and What About Angels. I'd add pretty much anything by Sia, Youth by Daughter, and Angel by Sarah McLachlan (now known as "The Abused Animals Song").  

Maybe your daughter could start with some of her favorite artists/songs and consider cover versions? YouTube and Soundcloud have tons of Internet-only recording artists who do amazing covers -- so many are perfect for lyrical and offer a new twist on familiar music. 

Good luck!!
nodrama15

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #7 
Fight Song
carriesmom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #8 
The first lyrical that came to my mind when I thought "overused" was also "Skinny Love."
crafty1

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #9 
Jar of Hearts. I didn't hear it as much this year, but I have heard it a lot for the past several years.
danceteenager

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #10 
Breathe Me, A Thousand Years, Skinny Love, Pompeii
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #11 
I always discourage people from worrying about what other people think of song choice.  They (the/your dancer) are the ones who will be dancing to it so if they love it, seriously, that's all that matters.  Who gives a sh$t what anyone else thinks. Not to mention... you could end up tossing out your number one choice because other people (who live in other parts of the country/go to different comps than you do) feel like it's overused only to find that you never end up hearing it at any of your comps all season.  IDK Food for thought perhaps.
Suzit42

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #12 
Yes to all of the above, especially Skinny Love, ugh...

What I have found really interesting in the past two years is that people are going back to the 70s, 80s and 90s and picking really great songs that have mostly been forgotten. It definitely gets the audiences and the judges attention. It's that "oh wow, I loved that song!" effect.

As a mom, I get dog tired of hours of dances to the same old songs. And choreo for that matter. And I am able to get up and leave when I want. I can't imagine how hard it can be for the judges who are there for hours.
kmpmom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #13 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzit42
Yes to all of the above, especially Skinny Love, ugh... What I have found really interesting in the past two years is that people are going back to the 70s, 80s and 90s and picking really great songs that have mostly been forgotten. It definitely gets the audiences and the judges attention. It's that "oh wow, I loved that song!" effect. As a mom, I get dog tired of hours of dances to the same old songs. And choreo for that matter. And I am able to get up and leave when I want. I can't imagine how hard it can be for the judges who are there for hours.

Taking a cue from another member on this site and the song she used for her daughter this season, I dug up a cool acapella version of the same song (done by the original artists) and played it for DD.  Never one to go gaga over any song ...well, she did for this one.  She actually refused to even think about any other song after that.  This morning she sent the link to the song to her choreographer and she's on pins and needles waiting to see if it's approved.  It is very definitely one of those songs in which once the first few words are out of the singer's mouth, 90% of the audience (or at least those over 30 or those that have classic rock playing in their house or car) will immediately hear the non-existant music playing in their heads, even though they're only actually hearing the lyrics being sung.  I have no idea how this will turn out.  She'll have to be SO on with every move and sound she makes.  She'll be totally exposed out there.  Hopefully the judges will be in a "70's classic rock coma" listening to the song and will cut her some slack.  [wink]

I'm with Heidi on this one btw --- use whatever you want.  If I've heard it 26 times at this comp alone, just try to make the choreo interesting and your movements memorable.  If it speaks to you, go for it.
dance1912

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #14 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmpmom

Taking a cue from another member on this site and the song she used for her daughter this season, I dug up a cool acapella version of the same song (done by the original artists) and played it for DD.  Never one to go gaga over any song ...well, she did for this one.  She actually refused to even think about any other song after that.  This morning she sent the link to the song to her choreographer and she's on pins and needles waiting to see if it's approved.  It is very definitely one of those songs in which once the first few words are out of the singer's mouth, 90% of the audience (or at least those over 30 or those that have classic rock playing in their house or car) will immediately hear the non-existant music playing in their heads, even though they're only actually hearing the lyrics being sung.  I have no idea how this will turn out.  She'll have to be SO on with every move and sound she makes.  She'll be totally exposed out there.  Hopefully the judges will be in a "70's classic rock coma" listening to the song and will cut her some slack.  [wink]

I'm with Heidi on this one btw --- use whatever you want.  If I've heard it 26 times at this comp alone, just try to make the choreo interesting and your movements memorable.  If it speaks to you, go for it.

A couple things - I agree with the "use what you love" line of thinking with songs, because absolutely a good song is a good song and it is the song that moves you? Go for it. But, on the other hand, there are some trendier songs that have all been mentioned that I could do without listening to at a comp venue. Maybe the difference is between what I consider an "overused" song; one that my ears tire of hearing, and a "classic" song; one that I know will pop up each year but it is because it is just that great. I don't know, just thinking out loud here. Maybe some that we are bored with now will become classics as the years go by? And maybe skinny love will eventually become so paper thin it disappears, lol. 

My reason for commenting on this one though, Kmpmom, is that we are in a very similar boat this year. My girl is doing an acapella tap (don't roll your eyes please, she's excited [wink]) to a Queen song. Just her feet and Freddy Mercury's voice. That's a lot to live up to! So, good luck to your dancer. I hope her song is approved and that she has a fantastic season. I will also be hoping for judges who like classic rock! 
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.