Ready set go!

JustAnotherDanceMom7

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #2 
Heartcry!
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #3 
I honestly don't think there is such a thing as a song that can be considered universally overused.  My dd did Heart Cry last year.  Went to five comps and never ran into another dancer who was using it too.   Next year she wants to do Brotsjor which also has reputation for being overused.  But we never heard it this year and only heard it once last year.

gandalf

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #4 
I agree with Hiedi. Unless the Choreography is exactlty the same, what difference does it make if a song is danced 5 times at a competition.
ChelleB70

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #5 
My dd is doing a comtemp solo next season I'll be checking back here.  So far she loves an overused (or as her dt put it "popular") song so we'll see....
JustAnotherDanceMom7

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #6 
Heartcry is actually one of my faves.  We have just seen a lot of contemporary solos to it over the past two seasons.  I have also seen a lot of solos to Youth by Daughter this year.  Another one of my favorite songs. 
Angel2228

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #7 
I knew heart cry would be here!
Dd wants it for her comtemp solo, so I made her rush to put it in first, I am sure others will request it as well [frown]
Nervous how many there will be next year. I don't think I heard it at all this past year. I know I did the year before.
prancer

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #8 
I love, love, love Torn and wish I could find something just like it, that isn't the theme song from this year's dance movie! (High Strung).
cynmckee

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #9 
Heart Cry is awesome, but it is overused.  Sand is less so.  Torn is getting there (dd did it last year).  If you google the song title on youtube and 100 videos of dances come up, then you know it is overused.
alingading

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #10 
I love Heart Cry! I heard it for the very first time when one of our girls from the studio did it for her solo this year. My daughter is going to be doing Torn this upcoming season. I've never heard it at any of our comps yet. I did hear one Brotsjor this last year but I loved it. I have heard a lot of Medicine and Mad World.
prancer

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #11 
And all of these songs are amazing. And all have been used and done well. Frustrating. I am still looking!
alingading

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #12 
One of our studio's dancers used Time by Nathan Lanier this year. I loved it! You should check it out. It has the same vibe as his other songs but isn't used as often.
prancer

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #13 
Thanks. Time is on the short list! Dibs!
NCKDAD

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #14 
Heart Cry and Torn are ones we've heard several times and have had dancers do!
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #15 
Quote:
Originally Posted by prancer
Thanks. Time is on the short list! Dibs!

So, are you asking in the hopes of avoiding something that is (what some might refer to as) 'overused'? 

IDK...  I know this is a common fear but it's next to impossible to know what's going to be what you might feel is overused at the comps you go to in your area based on what someone else feels has been overused at comps in their area.  And you'll notice I used the word "feels".  Because "overused" means different things to different people.

For whatever it's worth...my dd has chosen a couple of pretty well known/well used songs these past two seasons (Heart Cry, as I mentioned, and Bitter Earth) and at every comp, without fail, at least one judge would say "oh I looooove this song".  And random dance moms would talk of how they/their dancers wished their dancers could use it.  But tbh... even if they rolled their eyes and thought 'not this again".... what of it?  When dd chooses a song she goes for something that "she" absolutely loves. Period.  That is the ONLY criteria.  And tbh.. I think that should be the only criteria.  Otherwise you start overthinking things.  And perhaps lose sight of what this really is all about (or imo, what it should be all about).
prancer

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #16 
Good point Heidi. Dd was looking on her own and found Heart Cry. She likes it. We will see. We would both prefer to go with something less common, but in the end she has to love it and so does the choreographer.
Dancerfun

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #17 
Quote:
Originally Posted by heidi459
I honestly don't think there is such a thing as a song that can be considered universally overused.  My dd did Heart Cry last year.  Went to five comps and never ran into another dancer who was using it too.   Next year she wants to do Brotsjor which also has reputation for being overused.  But we never heard it this year and only heard it once last year.

My daughters duo partner did Brotsjor this year for her solo. Such an awesome piece of music. She picked it after hearing it at a comp last year. But we only heard it once last year and she only had one comp this year where another number had the same song but it wasn't even a solo. So not bad at all. Love love love Brotsjor!
MSDanceMomma

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #18 
Unsteady is one that I think will be overused next year - I have seen more and more routines to it as the year went on this year.   But you never know - my daughter's small group won grand champion to a jazz tune done over and over and over.  
Sabrina

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #19 
Near Light - Olafur Arnalds.  Always has a rocking chair with it 9/10 times.  Still I love it and everyone one of his songs makes me cry.  I'd love to see Beth's Theme done. 
dancemomjb

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #20 
DD danced to heart cry last year and we only came across one other soloist with it all season in the nest age category so I would say if your dancer loves it and it's right for you, go for it!
rdsmom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #21 
For DD's DT, overused means played on the radio alot. They were going to use Feel it Still by Portugal The Man, but then Brian Friedman choreographed to it, and it blew up. It's getting just as much play as Despecito around here now. [smile] So she's not going to use it, mostly so the whole audience doesn't groan in April after they've heard it so many times!
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.