Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
TripleEm

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #1 
Anyone have any experience with this? DD is 11 and has just been diagnosed. My question is how do you manage it? Her doctor said really the only options are OTC pain meds, ice, compression and rest. We've been wrapping it prior to the appearance of the swelling and the diagnosis. But not dancing until she's done growing is obviously not an option. What do you do to prevent and treat flare ups during dance season?
gymanddance

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #2 
I know a lot of gymnasts who were a band (not sure what else to call it- a thin tannish color padded thingy) right below the knee cap. In my gymnastics experience it was actually a pretty common thing and didn't really ever hold the girls back.

ETA- did a quick google search and it is called a patellar tendon strap.
Beccasmom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #3 
My son had this when he was maybe 14/15. He did martial arts and used to run for conditioning/cardio and his knees would bother him. There really isn't too much more than what you already mentioned, as well as the knee-strap things. Those did seem to help a little, as well as icing after workouts.
TripleEm

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #4 
Quote:
Originally Posted by gymanddance
I know a lot of gymnasts who were a band (not sure what else to call it- a thin tannish color padded thingy) right below the knee cap. In my gymnastics experience it was actually a pretty common thing and didn't really ever hold the girls back.

ETA- did a quick google search and it is called a patellar tendon strap.

Thank you for the name of what I was looking for! I've been searching "Osgood Schlatter brace" and similar things and not finding it. She seems to think something like that would help a lot with her pain while dancing and tumbling.
prancer

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #5 
My DD wears this tendon strap when hers flares up.  She is growing like mad, and not much to do about it other than strap, ice, and ibuprofen.  It hasn't stopped her from dancing, and she does not plan to wear the strap on stage.  
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation: