Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
armydancemom

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #1 
My niece is doing a solo to a cover of All I Want and the story behind it is a little girl who is left at an orphanage. At her studio, parents are in charge of solo/duets/trio costumes, so my sister is trying to find a proper costume for her , but google isn't offering much. Does anyone have any ideas or photos of good orphan costumes. BTW, my niece is 9.
Thanks in advance!
sarahannexo

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #2 
My favorite, to this day, was Maddie Ziegler's costume for All God's Creatures.

[maxresdefault] 
Think ratty knitwear, wrinkly linens.. 

tappinmom

Double Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #3 
I would look at second hand stores or thrift shops for old clothes you can rat up.
emmymom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #4 
I've seen lots of little girl nightgowns turned into orphan costumes.  Just tatter it and add a ratted up sweater or something from a thrift store at tappinmom suggested.
armydancemom

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #5 
Thank y'all for the recommendations.
To tatter the items up, would dirt or make up be better to make them look used/dirty?
threedancingdaughters

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #6 
I've used a fabric spray paint to make a "dead bride" Halloween costume. Could probably use something like that in brown or gray to add "dirt" without actually using dirt or makeup the could rub off on other things. I found it at either Joann fabrics or Michaels, can't remember which.
crafty1

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #7 
You can always watch the musical "Annie", or Google images from it. It's full of little orphan girls.
czmcdaniel

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #8 
Depending on her size, I used a king sized pillow case and made an orphan dress out of that cutting arm and leg holes out of the closed side and sewing a tie on the back.. turned out really cute
Momof3

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #9 
When DD9 was younger, she did a group dance to Hard Knock Life. The parents all hit thrift stores, with the direction to look for old-looking dresses or jumpers and ratty sweaters. We added patches to some sweaters, used some burnt cork on their faces, teased out their pigtails, and off they went. It was a fun costume, compared to the usual bling.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation: