Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
Noel

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #1 
Hello, thank you for taking a minute to read this.

Trying to find a studio that encourages serious students to take ballet at least 60 min., preferably 90 minutes, 3 times a week per level that also provides some variety with jazz/ lyrical/ contemporary/ leaps, turns, acro ... not looking to work towards ballet only. Looking to help my 10 year old find a solid foundation and get good core and stabilization strength. She's not sure exactly where her heart lies, but she is not currently intent on progressing towards pointe work.

We live out in coastal Brevard, so the trip inland to Orlando area will be a haul, but we cannot get what we need here. The only serious ballet school is highly highly demanding in terms of number of routines and extra non fundamental classes (not listed above) such as audition prep, voice classes, etc. . and she's pretty consistent about not wanting the musical theater/ broadway bound approach. We just lost a very good ballet academy as well [frown]

Thank you.
Dancemom02

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #2 
You could check out Orlando ballet[smile] I do not know much about it but have known some kids who go there and like it. However it is not a competing studio if that is what you are looking for.
Noel

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #3 
Thank you, DanceMom02, already on that one, but I really do appreciate the help. Any other ideas in this area ? (and, nice to meet you)
frogerella

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #4 
I don't think many of the all-around competitive studios here offer that much ballet, especially at that age.  When we were looking at studio's a couple of years ago I recall the most was 2 hours until you were teen age/level.  

My daughter (also 10) dances with the company at In Motion Dance Project in Orlando.  Her company level has ballet 2 days a week, 1 hour each day.  However, she wanted more ballet so also takes the next company level giving her an additional 2 hours (4 hours total).  Her company level has about 8 hours of classes including technique, hip hop, jazz, lyrical, tap, acro and 2 hours of ballet.  The upper company levels also have additional classes and pointe is audition/invite only.  However, if you are looking for a non-competitive team I don't think they offer enough rec classes to fit your needs.  http://www.inmotiondanceproject.com/

I have a friend whose daughter is in the pre-pro program at The Center for Contemporary Dance in Winter Park and has good things to say. https://www.facebook.com/thecenterfordance/

Our neighbor attends Cambridge School of Ballet in Lake Nona but I don't think they offer a lot outside of ballet.
http://www.csoballet.org/

Hope that helps -good luck!

Noel

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #5 
Frogerella that helps immensely ! We will have to keep in touch. Hopefully good timing will put our girls together at a convention or other event at some point. Thank you so much.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.