Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
Virginia9

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #1 
Do you think Ghost by Ella Henderson is appropriate for a 9/10 year old?

Which genre would you say it would be? I'd thought lyrical but then I saw it performed as jazz...
peppersmom67

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #2 
Hmmm... for me that's a tough call on appropriateness for a 9-10 year old. My DD is 9- will be 10 in October. There were a few lyrics I wasn't that crazy about but that could just be me..lol. I immediately thought lyrical. I guess you could also do Jazz but I'm leaning more towards lyrical. 
Beccasmom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #3 
I don't like the lyrics for a 9-10 year old.
momcrew

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #4 
I don't love younger kids dancing to songs about boys and true love. 
kmpmom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #5 
When my dancer was 10 or 11 I listened really carefully to the lyrics and looked forward to the day she was 16 or 17 and could dance to anything.

I think she listens more critically NOW to the lyrics (competing age 17) than she did when she was younger.  We've just gone through the painful process of selecting a solo song for next season and the kinds of things that disturbed her were really interesting to hear.

Decide as a family what you can accept in terms of lyrics and then act on that.  Your own moral compass should be the guide, not what you think will "win" or what the judges might like or not like. That's your kid out there.
lovemykids

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #6 
Wow, I would have to say definitely not appropriate on so many levels. But to each its own. Like kmpmom said if you are ok with it personally then go for it. I just think that with so many song options in all genres, why go with something like this. I would think it would be hard for a 9-10 year old to relate to what this song says.
Virginia9

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #7 
Y'all validated my feelings!
She's danced to it multiple times at conventions and masters classes, so I thought maybe I was reading too much into it. She walked out of the Junior room at Velocity singing Barbie Girl 😱, so compared to that I'm fine with Ghost, lol.
Dancingqueen

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #8 
I don't like the lyrics for a 9-10 yo
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.