Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 2      1   2   Next
NYMomma205

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #1 
For recital costumes? Just curious why many studios won't refund for this, especially since many studios upcharge? Will costume companies really not accept returned costumes once they are sent out? Is the studio somehow loosing money? I know one mom, and for a legitimate reason, pulled her daughter out months before the recital and after the recital costume was paid for. The studio wouldn't give her a dime back nor would give her the costume. Not sure why she wanted it, by I guess she felt it was hers somehow. Thoughts?
melissa745

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #2 
Our studio orders costumes in december/january. If they've ordered your costume, you don't get your money back. I can only assume that the companies don't make it easy to return a costume for a refund, as we have a hard enough time getting them to make exchanges to fix mistakes.

I don't understand why they wouldn't let her keep the costume. That seems weird. She paid for it!
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #3 
Costume companies do not do refunds or returns for costumes once they are ordered. The ordering process is a long drawn out PIA process, to be honest. Orders need to be placed months in advance in most situations. Most of these companies are really middlemen. They come up with designs and catalogs and have the costumes produces overseas. Once those orders are placed, that's it. These are quasi-custom, even from a catalog. The exception are "stock" costumes at a few companies. I can think of 2 companies that have a smaller inventory of certain costumes that they keep in stock in a small array of basic sizes, but that is a small minority and not the norm. 

Now, as far as the studio not giving the costume, I find that ridiculous if she already paid for it. 
rdsmom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #4 
I agree with the other posters-if you pay for a costume, it's yours. 
dancermom28

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #5 
Our studio won't give a refund back on costumes. Apparently, it is such a hassle to return, that we can't even do exchanges. However, our studio does give the parents the costume, even if they pull the daughter out of recital. The parent paid for it, so the costume is theirs to take, if they are all up to date on classroom fees. The studio doesn't have room to keep costumes, so why would a studio owner want to keep the costume, unless they already sold it to another girl and made money 2x off one costume.

The parent is thinking I paid at least >$50 or more, then the costume is mine, even if the daughter doesn't perform, she can use it to play dress up or give it to the little sister, cousin etc for dressup or as a halloween costume.

Who would want to just give money and not get anything in return????

I feel sorry for the parent that the studio won't give the costume to her or refund her the money. That is ridiculous, and I would question the integrity of the studio owner, and would not come back at all and take any more classes with this particular studio if that happened to me.
marabbit

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #6 
I agree with the others. The expense of returning and the restock fees make you get nothing back for returning a costume. However if she paid in full for the costume, not just a deposit, and was up to date on her other fees the costume is hers to do with what she wants. I have seen at our studio when someone moves or leaves after costume deposits are made them being offered to not get the costume and pay no more or pay the balance and get the costume and I think that is more than fair.
Psmom

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #7 
I'm not sure but I think the costume would be given to the child who quit after the recital. Nothing would be refunded though
Jacaranda

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #8 
I also agree that the parent should not expect a refund for recital costumes. Once they are paid for then that is it. I also can understand the studio not giving them the costume if they don't perform. It must be a custom piece and the studio may not want to see it appear anywhere else.

But I can't understand both together, sure either don't give a refund or don't give them the costume. It it doesn't seem right to charge for it and then not give it to them.
JulieDB

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #9 
No refund but if the costume doesn't fit, ours would put it right, even if it meant ordering a new one.

But at our studio in NY, they ordered costumes that were way too small for my daughter and another girl who was even taller and larger than her.  They weren't going to do anything at first and expected us to somehow amend the costumes.  I pitched a fit.  Compared to the costumes we've gotten here, those were cheap crap to begin with.  And it should have been obvious to anyone who saw these girls that they had outgrown those sizes years ago.

I pitched a fit and the studio owner finally fixed it herself.  It still wasn't good looking but it was her first year of dance and she was happy so I let it go.  

The other mom would not speak up and wound up having to pay someone to fix it.

There have been years when my daughter was injured and couldn't do recital.  We were given the costumes.  
dancedaughters

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #10 
The no refund policy makes sense to me given the way most costume companies work.  But the studio can't have it both ways - if you paid for the costume it's yours.  I would insist on either a refund or the costumes.

When my younger DD first started dancing, she dropped out of her class after I had paid for her recital costume, but before we received it.  I told the teacher I wanted to pick it up and she said "oh, I think we need that costume."  I said "I think I own that costume."  Eventually they offered a trade where they kept the recital costume and my DD was allowed to choose any 2 of the slightly used costumes they had in the attic.  Since I was just going to use the costume for dress-up/play, it was a good trade for us, and DD loved the costumes she chose.  But I was amazed that they thought I'd just let them keep the costume without any compensation.
My2DanceLoves

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #11 
I also can totally see not issuing a refund for the costume.  While the dancer may have had to drop out of recital through no fault of their own , it's not the studio's fault either , and I don't see why they should be stuck paying for a costume they cannot return.  
However, since the costume is paid for by the dancers parents , they should still get the costume whether they are using it or not.  I cannot see why the studio would want to keep the costume, unless the family legitimately owes them money for something (tuition for classes attended etc.)  or they are just being spiteful.  
joriebelle

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #12 
I agree; if you're not able to get a refund, which I understand, you should get your costume that you paid for.
ggsmith

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #13 
It isn't just a moral issue or an opinion, I believe they have a legal obligation to deliver the costume if they are not going to issue a refund.  I can understand not issuing a refund, and the studios DD has attended are clear about that when you order and pay for the costumes, but you'd have a small claims case for a costume paid for and not delivered, assuming you didn't owe the studio other fees.

I never understand why dance studios think they are somehow above the usual consumer laws that govern businesses.

melissa745

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #14 
Oh! I did remember that this year a girl quit the competition team hair a few weeks before the first competition. The scrambled and found a girl willing to step in for that dance.

Her mom didn't pay for the costume or the comp fees for that dance. I'm guessing the girl that quit paid for the costume and SO just paid the comp fees. I can see how it doesn't make sense to hand the costume over in this case because anther girl would be wearing it, but I can also see how the other mom should've been given the costume since she paid for it.

So, I guess I see both sides in a competition dance where you need someone to step in.

But for a recital dance where you have months to restate? I don't understand that at all.
NYMomma205

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #15 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacaranda
I also agree that the parent should not expect a refund for recital costumes. Once they are paid for then that is it. I also can understand the studio not giving them the costume if they don't perform. It must be a custom piece and the studio may not want to see it appear anywhere else.

But I can't understand both together, sure either don't give a refund or don't give them the costume. It it doesn't seem right to charge for it and then not give it to them.

No, this was not a custom piece. It was ordered from a regular costume catalog for a small child.
NYMomma205

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #16 
Quote:
Originally Posted by My2DanceLoves
I also can totally see not issuing a refund for the costume.  While the dancer may have had to drop out of recital through no fault of their own , it's not the studio's fault either , and I don't see why they should be stuck paying for a costume they cannot return.  
However, since the costume is paid for by the dancers parents , they should still get the costume whether they are using it or not.  I cannot see why the studio would want to keep the costume, unless the family legitimately owes them money for something (tuition for classes attended etc.)  or they are just being spiteful.  [/QUOTE

Yeah, that might be a possibility, although the person told me they called for months trying to get the costume, and that kept telling her over the phone it was a really bad time for them and to call back. I'm going to assume if she owed money, she wouldn't have tried so hard. She eventually gave up.
heartmom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #17 
Agree with everyone else. Returns are a pain. But if they paid for the costume they should get it. Did she say the studio gave an explanation? I know in the past in our studio, if you have not paid your account in full they would not distribute the costume. Also, if mom cared so much about the costume, did she ever go to the studio to pick it up, or just call? You are harder to ignore if you are actually standing there in the office, than if you are just calling.
Mom2Girls

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #18 
The studio shouldn't have to do returns on costumes. However, no refund means the costume does not belong to them and they should hand it over.
2dornot2d

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #19 
I think the studio should at least give her the costume she paid for. They ordered for her child, and paid with her money. They don't own it.

A friend of mine registered her DD with mine in the same recital class but had to quit in March. She paid for the costume in January but didn't ask for a refund or the costume.

Another year, my DD was taking a recital class but opted out. The teacher really wanted her to be in the recital and asked us if my DD could wear the extra costume that someone paid for but no longer doing the class. I heard people quit classes and don't come back to pick up the costumes (no refunds) so they just leave them there.

One of our senior team dancer quit after she paid for costumes but before competition started. My older DD was asked to fill her spot temporarily and was given the costumes. In the contract, it says the studio owns the costume if dancer could not continue to compete for any reasons. The girl's family didn't ask for anything back. I wasn't asked to pay for the extra costumes since we were doing the studio a favor, and it added 4 extra dance registration fees on my account.
jazzminesun81

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #20 
Ours does not refund because oftentimes they can't return the costume once ordered, so they're out the money. However, they do give the costume since you paid for it. This is all clearly outlined when you sign up in the fall, and again when your costume payment is drafted in January, so I do not have an issue with it. I would, however, have an issue if they didn't give a dancer a costume they paid for.
dancedivasx2

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #21 
Everyone is correct about why no refund. But, she should get the costume regardless if she participated or not . They may have sold the costume to another dancer that signed up late. If that is the case then she should get the money. If she paid for the costume by credit card then she can tell the studio she is going to make a claim if they do not give her the costume then they will be forced to give it to her or refund .
123Dance

Pending Email Verification
Reply with quote  #22 
No refund, but costume should be given.  However, if the parent isn't up to date on class fees, they wouldn't get the costume.  My guess is that the parent still owes money and that's why the SO is refusing to hand over the costume.  (Though I did know someone who pulled out of comp due to injury and had paid a large deposit on all of her dances.  In the end, she never got a refund OR the costumes.  Nobody stepped in.  The costumes just weren't ever made because she pulled out early enough.  SO pocketed the deposit.  Studio is no longer in business...  lots of other shady business practices going on there, though.)

dad_of_four

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #23 
When a dancer quits, the Studio still has ongoing fees that are not being paid for
Rent, Utilities, Payroll, Liability Insurance, etc.
And I know it stinks, but the "carrot" of the fancy costume is the stick that gets some parents to commit to the full year.
Too many parents might just drop-out when money is tight and all the Christmas bills are due in Feb.
Choreography would need to be constantly re-worked.

I know at our studio, new parents are confused at Christmas when they have to pay December tuition,
even though the studio is closed for two weeks.
The answer is that you are paying for 36 weeks worth of lessons, and the total fee is divided into nine monthly payments.
It would be total chaos if instead you expected people to pay every 4 weeks.
DMSO

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #24 
It's entirely possible the family still has an outstanding balance beyond the costume.
tappinmom

Double Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #25 
If there is no outstanding balance owed for anything else then she should get the costume she paid for.  Expecting the studio to go through the return process is unreasonable but it is hers as long as she doesn't owe them money.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.