Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
Dancingemu

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #1 
Now that the recital is over and all after parties are done, we are done with our current current studio and moving onto a new more ballet based studio. No more hip hop ballet numbers that are mostly twerking and and showing of preteen cleavage. (Seriously it was bad!)

We attended the new studio's recital this year and so excited to move forward. They have been so welcoming and professional.
RebelSwan

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #2 
When old studio calls to find out why you didn't come to registration, don't sugar coat it and tell them you are focusing on ballet.  Tell them exactly why.  It may be mostly true about ballet, but they need to be reminded how inappropriate their choreo is.  I'm no prude, but I have had to pick my jaw up from an auditorium floor many times.  Yesterday it was a hiphop comp, when they announced one particular studio I basically thought to myself "let's see how trashy this one is" and.... gosh, I didn't cringe once.  (Except, what is with this sticking out tongues every so often?)  A couple years ago they had a lot of people talking.  So, I'm thinking either that teacher is gone or has matured or has been talked to.  If a studio loses just one kid because of hypersexualized choreo that's one too many, it can destroy a reputation that it took many years to build.  I don't think of that entire school as awesome at tap, I think of them as twerking and grinding with see-my-tonsils cutoffs and thigh high stockings... and that's just the 10 year olds.
Dancingemu

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #3 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RebelSwan
When old studio calls to find out why you didn't come to registration, don't sugar coat it and tell them you are focusing on ballet.  Tell them exactly why.  It may be mostly true about ballet, but they need to be reminded how inappropriate their choreo is.  I'm no prude, but I have had to pick my jaw up from an auditorium floor many times.  Yesterday it was a hiphop comp, when they announced one particular studio I basically thought to myself "let's see how trashy this one is" and.... gosh, I didn't cringe once.  (Except, what is with this sticking out tongues every so often?)  A couple years ago they had a lot of people talking.  So, I'm thinking either that teacher is gone or has matured or has been talked to.  If a studio loses just one kid because of hypersexualized choreo that's one too many, it can destroy a reputation that it took many years to build.  I don't think of that entire school as awesome at tap, I think of them as twerking and grinding with see-my-tonsils cutoffs and thigh high stockings... and that's just the 10 year olds.

This is exactly what I needed to hear! This was the worst recital as far as the sexual nature. We are mainly leaving for their lack of organization, but it's the overall lack of maturity and how it's run.
tappinmom

Double Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #4 
You said on another post that you live in a small community so I don't know that I would be that honest with them about all the things you don't like about the studio if there is a possibility that they could make your life (or your DD's life) difficult.  Better to take the high road.  You could tell them she is concentrating on ballet now and leave it at that but I wouldn't attack the studio at all.
ggsmith

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #5 
As much as I'd like to leave a scathing review about the place we are leaving this spring, I realize it is in my daughter's best interest to say little.  I was clear when we were given opportunity for feedback with surveys and signed my name to them during our time there.  I wrote emails to the director and the administrator a few times when things seemed particularly out of line and met with the director.  Things did not improve.  In the end I told them we were leaving for financial reasons.  It is true that we are likely to pay less in our new situation, but really it was a small part of the equation.  However, the dance community, particularly the ballet community, in our area is not that big.  In a few years our circumstances may change or the organization may undergo a change.   Although unlikely, it might be in DD's interest to return for training or a job at some time down the road. The people associated with former school may show up at our new one.  I'd like to keep things civil.  DD was part of the school for five years.  Clearly it wasn't all bad and I think in the end our memories will be bittersweet.  It would be nice if we could be civil and pleasant when we run into these folks in the future.
Dancingemu

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #6 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tappinmom
You said on another post that you live in a small community so I don't know that I would be that honest with them about all the things you don't like about the studio if there is a possibility that they could make your life (or your DD's life) difficult.  Better to take the high road.  You could tell them she is concentrating on ballet now and leave it at that but I wouldn't attack the studio at all.

That's very true. We haven't told them anything yet for concerns of them trying to pull my girl from recital (they've done it to others). 
Dancingemu

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggsmith
As much as I'd like to leave a scathing review about the place we are leaving this spring, I realize it is in my daughter's best interest to say little.  I was clear when we were given opportunity for feedback with surveys and signed my name to them during our time there.  I wrote emails to the director and the administrator a few times when things seemed particularly out of line and met with the director.  Things did not improve.  In the end I told them we were leaving for financial reasons.  It is true that we are likely to pay less in our new situation, but really it was a small part of the equation.  However, the dance community, particularly the ballet community, in our area is not that big.  In a few years our circumstances may change or the organization may undergo a change.   Although unlikely, it might be in DD's interest to return for training or a job at some time down the road. The people associated with former school may show up at our new one.  I'd like to keep things civil.  DD was part of the school for five years.  Clearly it wasn't all bad and I think in the end our memories will be bittersweet.  It would be nice if we could be civil and pleasant when we run into these folks in the future.

The new place is cheaper for the same hours, though my girl will be able to take more classes with dedicated hours to each genre. It is by far more technical and ballet based, so it's an easy one to sell.

Dancingemu

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #8 

I'm not the only one who's been on the fence and have been talked into going back to the current studio for the last couple years. I made sure to sign up and pay 1st months tuition to the new place to there would be no more getting sucked into staying. My daughter and I have made great friends whom we've already told we are leaving. There have also been rumors from others that we were leaving, but never asked us directly, so we've never lied about not leaving. 

I'm going to think of how to word something tonight, then reread and send it tomorrow to make sure I'm staying level headed. We start at the new place this month, so the old place is bound to find out soon and I know it will be better to hear from us directly.

hsealover

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #9 
Congratulations! A studio move can be hard! Keep your head held high and good luck at your new studio!
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation: